Data from Stages Single Sided

no calves

Just bought a Stages (think its gen1, it was a bargain in my eyes so couldnt say no) crank for the MTB.

Been using a powertap on the road bike for a while so i know my way around the usual Power data. 

My question is: Will the Stages provide new data ie L-R balance for instance? want to know if i have to set up my head unit differently for the Stages than the Powertap.

Regards

Calves

if it's just the left crankarm, no it's not going to give you that L-R balance data. Just make sure you calibrate it before every ride, in case you experience pretty radical changes in weather during a ride, you'll also need to recalibrate it

As the strain gauge is located on one crank arm it will do single side only. The reading for power you will obtain will therefore be calculated to a certain extent.

Edited by warick_wrx

Assuming it working properly it will give you numbers that are aligned with the numbers you got from you powertap

Stages takes left power and multiplies it with two. (very roughly put)

I have ridden Stages for a few years now and have compared it to my Power2max ang Garmin Vector 3 and Quarq readings and it is pretty much on par with each other.  

Main thing will be to measure your FTP and intervals etc always on the ONE system.  

Edited by Spinnekop

I think that the last bit of the above post is possibly the best advice when training with power... One system, consistent data. Otherwise you need to establish the variance between your various PM's, and I'm including smart trainers in that.

Edited by Cheabb78
Thought I quoted post above.

@Cheabb78 oh dear. the whole reason i got it was because of power on the road and the smart trainer. just made more sense to have the same set of data then for the mtb aswell

2 minutes ago, no calves said:

@Cheabb78 oh dear. the whole reason i got it was because of power on the road and the smart trainer. just made more sense to have the same set of data then for the mtb aswell

If possible, do a ride where you record your trainer power on Zwift (or whatever you use), and record your Stages power on your head unit / watch. You'll get an idea of the variance, if any, and adjust accordingly.