Cycling in the UK

Scooterza

Nice!

Where are you based in West Yorkshire? We used to live in Castleford for many years.. If you want some great riding you can head to the Lake District, Hardknott Pass will give you a bit to think about, and then it is also worth your while taking a pedal to Scotland... 

We set ourselves a 50 Squid bike budget and then went drinking from London up the east coast, so I guess Hull would be the nearest starting point for you. The route is pretty amazing and a lot is on abandoned railway lines.

And if you are into MTB, Dalby Forest is also pretty close..

Next plan is to visit the distilleries around Scotland when we can travel again!

Tom

On 8/27/2021 at 1:36 PM, Scooterza said:

Haha, yeah, not so sure about that. Eg my last ride 34km with 600m climbing. One hill was 1.8km with avg gradient of 9.2%. That's a tough climb. 

It may not ever get very high here but there are lots of bumps! 

We did Iterra adventure race in 2019, the first cycle leg was pretty much coast to coast from Glenmorangie distillery to Elphin, the 2nd bike was from Kinlochewe to Morvich to run the 5 sisters. So I know exactly what you talking about. No massive altitude but you can get up from sea level to 1000m in less than 4km in some places...

I think cycling in the UK, anywhere but London (within the M25), is pretty good. Yorkshire, Lake District, Wales, it's all pretty decent. The Wirral area SW of Liverpool has its fair share of cycling clubs. The sport was always pretty big up North compared to down south. North and Mid Wales is really awesome or MTB but the road surface is pretty rough so those 28C tyres will come in handy. Even 20 years ago I encountered my fair share of yobbos behind the steering wheel but by and large people drive more considerately. Within the M25 life is more stressed so there tends t be a lot of skirmishes between bicycle riders and motorists. can't imagine what it would be like over the last year with the 2nd explosion of cycling in the UK