Used Bike Advice

M.S.Adam

Hello all.

I'm new to the forum and am looking to purchase a used mountain bike (still looking in Durban as I prefer to view and purchase second hand items  face to face)

I do need some advice please.

In my search over the past 2 weeks I see that many used bikes have had their groupsets/brakes/forks changed (downgraded???) and so I find nice bikes that seem to be a conglomeration of different components.

What I would like to fund out is what I should stay away from.

Forks: I have read that Rock Shox/Fox/Manitou are good forks but I see many bikes come with SR Suntour (and these too have various models)

Dérailleurs:

I am finding many bikes with Shimano Acera/Alivio/Tourney rear dérailleurs.

I've read that these are entry level and I should look at something with Deore or higher but I'm not finding these.

How bad is the quality on the entry level gears?

My use will be leisure riding and maybe the odd trail ride (casual/recreational)

If the trail bug bites it could be frequent however I do not see myself competing in the sport.

Guys/Girls, any help/advice on the above will be greatly appreciated.

PS: if this has been covered in elsewhere on this forum I would appreciate if someone would post the link to that thread.

T.I.A

iii

Hi

In terms of the gears I found the difference from Deore to XTR is mainly the weight. Some small changes like from XT you can drop 2 gears at a time. So Deore would be a good starter. 

Forks if you are starting I would say as long as it's a air fork. Nothing wrong with Suntour air forks. 

Get something that is going to make you want to ride. 

As for the gears, Alivio and Acera are decent if you are not doing hardcore riding. Avoid Tourney if you can. 

Suntour XCR can be found in both coil and air spring models. This is their entry level air fork. Get an air model if you can. XCT and XCM models are coil forks. 

1 hour ago, Me rida my bicycle said:

Hi

In terms of the gears I found the difference from Deore to XTR is mainly the weight. Some small changes like from XT you can drop 2 gears at a time. So Deore would be a good starter. 

Forks if you are starting I would say as long as it's a air fork. Nothing wrong with Suntour air forks. 

Get something that is going to make you want to ride. 

Thank you.

2 minutes ago, Rolf Hansen said:

As for the gears, Alivio and Acera are decent if you are not doing hardcore riding. Avoid Tourney if you can. 

Suntour XCR can be found in both coil and air spring models. This is their entry level air fork. Get an air model if you can. XCT and XCM models are coil forks. 

Thank you for this.

This info helps alot.