Greg Minnaar wins his 4th World Championship title

News bot

10 minutes ago, Stockman said:

61st, roughly 27 sec behind Greg.

Did he fall or have a mechanical problem?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, Stockman said:

Don't think so, the top guys are just way ahead.

What sucks for him is that he can't use age as an excuse any longer ????

9 minutes ago, Stockman said:

Don't think so, the top guys are just way ahead.

They are indeed, but that said, Theo Erlangsen from Cape Town was 36th, only 13 secs behind Greg. 

1 minute ago, Headshot said:

They are indeed, but that said, Theo Erlangsen from Cape Town was 36th, only 13 secs behind Greg. 

Bordering on a top guy then! ????

Sheez, after Theo absolutely pinning Darkfest and Redbull Hardline I'd hardly call him borderline top...

I am pretty sure the group of fella's that attempt those lines are in the absolute elite... They are the top 1% of the top 1%.

Next Saffa to keep an eye on would be Ike Claasen. Big things coming from him lately.

What an absolute champ. And a nicer humble more deserving champ there couldn't be. 

How many times is he going to have us ask ourselves how many good seasons he has left... I hope a good few still.

It's crazy though. I remembering my ballies 40th, and thinking the old man is getting on in years now. He was a proper topie by that age though, now I'm only a handful of birthdays away from the big 40, and I feel old when I go out riding the trails. Amazing how Greg just keeps on keeping up in a sport meant for young guns.

42 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

Sheez, after Theo absolutely pinning Darkfest and Redbull Hardline I'd hardly call him borderline top...

I am pretty sure the group of fella's that attempt those lines are in the absolute elite... They are the top 1% of the top 1%.

Next Saffa to keep an eye on would be Ike Claasen. Big things coming from him lately.

While hardline is gnarly af, I struggle to take it very serious as a competition. A guy like Bernard Kerr's (with 3 or 4 hardline wins) best result at a WC is 5th.

Racing at the very top end is a different game. Some just have, other's get a brief taste of it, and most will never know.

Anyway, I haven't been this happy about someone winning something in a long time. 

4 hours ago, DonatelloOnPinarello said:

What an absolute champ. And a nicer humble more deserving champ there couldn't be. 

How many times is he going to have us ask ourselves how many good seasons he has left... I hope a good few still.

It's crazy though. I remembering my ballies 40th, and thinking the old man is getting on in years now. He was a proper topie by that age though, now I'm only a handful of birthdays away from the big 40, and I feel old when I go out riding the trails. Amazing how Greg just keeps on keeping up in a sport meant for young guns.

Im 40 and having my best years on the trails. Come ride with us!

At the ripe age of 45 I am having the most fun on my bike in all the years of being able to ride a bicycle. I am hitting some of the biggest jumps I thought possible (and which I was dodging a mere 5 years ago) and am not skrikked off of most of what I come across. Now my favourite rides are places like Contermans Black Rhino (from the top), Hoogekraal Cobra (ja I know, its not a real black - but it's conveniently close), Banhoek, Jonkershoek and Plaisir de Merle. No more green and blue singletrack and long rides. The more fun, the better. 

Age truly is in your head

(just don't fall - healing is slower for some unfathomable reason)

Hey don't get me wrong. I'm also having time of my life riding now. 

I just know there is no ways I'm even going to try keep up with the 20 somethings on the enduro trails, nevermind be competitive against them at the highest level in world cup downhill.

All I'm trying to say is Greg is truly a legend, and an inspiration.

We all may be doing some of the best riding of our live now, but Greg is at the pointy edge of the pack in a very elite group of riders that are mostly 15 or more years his junior. He started out racing world cups at the same time as the guy that's now leading the commentary, and as much of a legend as RW is, he could not race the youngsters and be competitive the way Greg is. It is remarkable what he is doing. 

Edited by DonatelloOnPinarello