Swartberg Pass Cycling in October 2021

StephanusJohannes

Hi all I'm residing in Cape Town and a strong cyclist doing vines and views 80km ride this coming weekend and 7weeks poort 85 and Argus in October.  I am visiting oudshoorn between 14 and 17 October this year and would like to know if anyone is interested in joining me to ride up the Swartberg pass or knows who I could contact that side as it will be boring doing it alone 

I have done it alone a couple of time, out of season and during the week .... and still you see many other cyclists along the route.

Actually doing it again next week. :)

Over the mountain, some seriously nice options in Prince Albert for a coffee stop ....

apple pie at Lazy Lizzard is a bucket list item.

Or a bit higher, opposite side of the road is a super nice restaurant ....

OR .... go down the Main road until you get to the golf course .... opposite that you will find Arno at Prince Albert cycles.

Now if you have the legs .... 170ish km .... oudtshoorn, over Swartbergpass, back via Meiringspoort ....

11 hours ago, StephanusJohannes said:

Hi all I'm residing in Cape Town and a strong cyclist doing vines and views 80km ride this coming weekend and 7weeks poort 85 and Argus in October.  I am visiting oudshoorn between 14 and 17 October this year and would like to know if anyone is interested in joining me to ride up the Swartberg pass or knows who I could contact that side as it will be boring doing it alone 

As others have said, I'd be very surprised if you find it boring. It's spectacular. Just FYI, it's about 930m climbing from Prince Albert side to the very top of the pass. It's a bit less from the Oudshoorn side, approx 690m to the top if you're climbing from Kobus se Gat. So over to prince Albert and back is a pretty decent day of climbing. If anything I found it a bit busy on the weekend and would have preferred fewer people. 

Seweweekspoort is also amazing. 

10 hours ago, copperhead said:

It definitely won't be boring. It is a spectacular piece of road. If I am in the area at the time I will join you. I don't think so but you never know. 

Coffee is on me if you are there next week :thumbup:  Most likely Tuesday .... weather may impact on the actual date.

You may just have to slow down a tad ..... :whistling:  I may kill my battery trying to keep up with you. :ph34r:  Coming from Oudtshoorn side this time, brunch in Price Albert then back over the pass....

10 hours ago, NickGM said:

As others have said, I'd be very surprised if you find it boring. It's spectacular. Just FYI, it's about 930m climbing from Prince Albert side to the very top of the pass. It's a bit less from the Oudshoorn side, approx 690m to the top if you're climbing from Kobus se Gat. So over to prince Albert and back is a pretty decent day of climbing. If anything I found it a bit busy on the weekend and would have preferred fewer people. 

Seweweekspoort is also amazing. 

Done Seweweekspoort in a vehicle so many times ..... CERTAINLY on my bucket list to do it on two wheels.

Long long ago, in era before masks and covid I was planning on doing the MTB event in the Poort ....

Thanks for all the advice guys  I will definitely post something again closer to the time. Here in Tokai we have a nice climb up to the Tokai Mast which is about 970m continuous elevation so I would like to beat that on the Swartberg pass. I'm doing the 7 weeks poort event the first weekend of October and have heard it's amazing.  

We did it a few weeks ago in prep for TB this past weekend. Its a fantastic ride. We parked our car at Karusa Wine Estate. We did a loop through town out towards Calitzdorp, then turned right on the maatjiesvalie (excuse spelling) road. That keeps going until you get to T junction. Turned right there on the tar road. It spits you out a Kobus se Gat. From there is a lift turn and up the pass. The pass itself is in great condition. The road is smooth and well maintained. Its a long drag all the way to the top but its not so bad. Regardless of the weather its usually pretty cold at the top to keep that in mind. You welcome to have a look at my Strava account (Warren Moult) for the route. 

Safety isn't as issue. Just be careful on the pass, if you over cook a corner and go off the road you going to get hurt real bad. Its a very steep drop off. 

17 hours ago, copperhead said:

I am in Tokai too. Shout next time you head to the mast and I will do my best to keep up with you. 

Cool will do are you on Strava? Going to do Vines and Views this weekend but will do it again sometime at the end of September