Gravel/adventure Gear

capediver

Drop your recommendations for gravel/adventure gear...do you have a favourite frame bag/tent/mattress/cooking/utensils/tools? etc....maybe a packing list/Must have, nice to have....let us know what you carry and post pics of your bike-packing rig.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So I am starting to gather kit for a 3-4 day gravel ride Oct, Western cape...Ceres loop to be exact, about 247kms I believe, some guys have done it in a day!!!!! but I want to rather go slow and have my eye on this...

Vaude Trailfront, 19L (although that's probably what you will be able to carry with a hardtail, not gravel bars) waterproof carrier.

Alpkit Soloist tent 1.2kg, apparently packs down to the size of a wine bottle! 3 season so rain and stuff but not that good with wind

Mattress: I seen it suggested elsewhere: FA Aero 5.5 410g packs small but maybe too thin...?

Looking for suggestions....

12699_022.jpg

12699_c.jpg

soloist_03f07242-a638-4d50-b75c-0f57d8e2fb6d_640x@2x.jpg

fam14-green_0.jpg

4 minutes ago, capediver said:

Mattress: I seen it suggested elsewhere: FA Aero 5.5 410g packs small but maybe too thin...?

Avoid sleeping on boulders and you'll be fine. Naturehike has some good mattresses too. 

Seriously though, I've slept loads of nights on a 6cm mattress and have never wished it was thicker. Even on 'gras polle' (no idea what that is in English), I've never had a problem. The individual air pockets kind of just adjust to whatever is going on underneath and keep you comfy. I'm not a super heavy guy though. 

Looks good. It all depends how comfy you want to be really. 

If you find the right spot out of the wind or sheltered side of a rock/wall etc then the reality is just the cold or rain. Even that can be negated by selective sleeping spots.

I'd suggest any bags will do as long as you pack into light weight dry bags. That way, even if you open the panniers/frame bags in the rain, everything stays dry.

Security overnight is another thing that needs to be considered...how do you secure your bike at night?

It is a Big Agnes SL 3 man tent. 1.7kg - only problem is the tent poles is a bit long (made for hiking) but fits nice under your handlebar roll.

1 minute ago, RustyHWR said:

It is a Big Agnes SL 3 man tent. 1.7kg - only problem is the tent poles is a bit long (made for hiking) but fits nice under your handlebar roll.

OK I have read good reviews about this and seems to almost be the standard...does it have any "porch"?