Gravel/adventure Gear

capediver

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

23 minutes ago, capediver said:

So I am starting to gather kit for a 3-4 day gravel ride Oct, Western cape...Ceres loop to be exact, about 247kms I believe, some guys have done it in a day!!!!! but I want to rather go slow and have my eye on this...

Vaude Trailfront, 19L (although that's probably what you will be able to carry with a hardtail, not gravel bars) waterproof carrier.

Alpkit Soloist tent 1.2kg, apparently packs down to the size of a wine bottle! 3 season so rain and stuff but not that good with wind

Mattress: I seen it suggested elsewhere: FA Aero 5.5 410g packs small but maybe too thin...?

Looking for suggestions....

Consider getting an insulated sleeping pad. They're a bit heavier, but, I think, worth it. I got a non-insulated sleeping pad (similar to what you're looking at) and the ground sucks up all the heat you generate. Not even a proper down sleeping bag could make up for it. That was a cold night on top Stellenbosch mountain.

7 minutes ago, Patensie said:

Consider getting an insulated sleeping pad. They're a bit heavier, but, I think, worth it. I got a non-insulated sleeping pad (similar to what you're looking at) and the ground sucks up all the heat you generate. Not even a proper down sleeping bag could make up for it. That was a cold night on top Stellenbosch mountain.

Would a space blanket under the mattress work?...want to keep weight and bulk down

1 minute ago, capediver said:

Would a space blanket under the mattress work?...want to keep weight and bulk down

Space blanket works but a good R-Rated mattress is the answer. A good night sleep is a good day on the bike the next day.

57 minutes ago, capediver said:

ha, ha, yessss, now show us how you pack it!

38 minutes ago, Mountain Bru said:

milk crate bike basket cheap buy online

But instead of that lame empty crate, this:

Castle Milk Stout 750ml (12 x 750ml) | Local & International Alcohol brands

i’m disappointed, this would be a suitable response to that question: 

☺️

6C043715-4DDE-40CA-A8CF-A62054B7BD27.jpeg

12 minutes ago, capediver said:

I will try that on my next wild camp. But as Rusty said, get something with an R-rating. They are not that much heavier. In my case it was goedkoop koop is duur koop ????

5 minutes ago, Patensie said:

I will try that on my next wild camp. But as Rusty said, get something with an R-rating. They are not that much heavier. In my case it was goedkoop koop is duur koop ????

You get the reusable insulated/reflective ground sheets with a peg hole on each corner. Those also work super well and fold up tiny.

The shiny single use space blankets aren't amazing for much other than their intended single use emergency purpose. 

27 minutes ago, MORNE said:

i’m disappointed, this would be a suitable response to that question: 

☺️

6C043715-4DDE-40CA-A8CF-A62054B7BD27.jpeg

More of Before and After pic if you ask me...

35 minutes ago, capediver said:

32 minutes ago, RustyHWR said:

Space blanket works but a good R-Rated mattress is the answer. A good night sleep is a good day on the bike the next day.

I think having a footprint under the tent also makes a difference, and in my mind is a non negotiable when I use my tent. I bought a piece of painters drop sheet for R40 and cut out a footprint. It's primarily there to protect the bottom of the tent from stones and stuff and for waterproofing, but I'm sure it helps with some insulation. (Literally weighs 72g)
If I was trying to put a space blanket under my matress, I'd also rather throw that under the tent too so it doesn't move. 

(A note on making tent footprints - it needs to be like 5cm smaller than the bottom of the tent on all sides so that if it rains, you don't create a bucket for your tent to sit in)

43 minutes ago, copperhead said:

If you plan on doing it over 3 or 4 days that is quite slow. I hope you are then going to stop off at all the places that do wine tasting and sell beer? If you have wind, no matter what equipment you have it makes it harder. If you have perfect weather it is a really brilliant ride. No matter what, I think you will really enjoy it. Might I suggest... if you do take 4 days stop one day at Oasis, make camp and take a day to ride to Wupperthal and back. It is an absolutely stunning ride. Just my 2 cents!

This is exactly how...I'm thinking of meeting the wonderful wife at one of the stops for a day so Oasis may just be one of them!

24 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

You get the reusable insulated/reflective ground sheets with a peg hole on each corner. Those also work super well and fold up tiny.

The shiny single use space blankets aren't amazing for much other than their intended single use emergency purpose. 

OK ja, actually what I had in mind is not a space blanket as in a tinfoil sheet but those shiny groundsheet blankets you get for picnics...

719KIsH2QvL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

1 minute ago, capediver said:

OK ja, actually what I had in mind is not a space blanket as in a tinfoil sheet but those shiny groundsheet blankets you get for picnics...

719KIsH2QvL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

That's it! They are brilliant. You can even wrap up in it and it will keep you toasty if things go south. I've used mine as a fold over tent cover/ground sheet too. 

I'd also throw in some Gorilla tape as a must have item. It fixes tents, ground sheets, tubeless issues, sidewall cuts and all sorts!

2 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

That's it! They are brilliant. You can even wrap up in it and it will keep you toasty if things go south. I've used mine as a fold over tent cover/ground sheet too. 

I'd also throw in some Gorilla tape as a must have item. It fixes tents, ground sheets, tubeless issues, sidewall cuts and all sorts!

Gorilla tape goes into any of my packs first...

11 minutes ago, capediver said:

This is exactly how...I'm thinking of meeting the wonderful wife at one of the stops for a day so Oasis may just be one of them!

Or Algeria...

Starting and ending at Citrusdal, clockwise or anti?