Gravel/adventure Gear

capediver

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just bought these two items, very Chinese, so I will report back on quality, etc., but for around R1300 for BOTH, thought I would give it a whirl, and see if it meets my needs - will go on a full-susser MTB, doing a 5-day/4-nite gravel tour in October.

Could not find much locally, thus going the Liteinthebox route...

https://www.lightinthebox.com/en/p/b-soul-12-l-bike-handlebar-bag-portable-cycling-wearable-bike-bag-tpu-leather-terylene-bicycle-bag-cycle-bag-cycling-outdoor-exercise-trail_p7119603.html?prm=1.5.1.338

and

https://www.lightinthebox.com/en/p/b-soul-12-l-bike-saddle-bag-rain-proof-multifunctional-durable-bike-bag-pvc-polyvinyl-chloride-600d-ripstop-bicycle-bag-cycle-bag-cycling-outdoor_p6929408.html?prm=1.5.1.362

(yes, I have heard some problems of Lite-in-the-box, but communication THUS far has been good...)

Will report back once received - supposedly around 14 days, we shall see.

Cheers

Chris

4 hours ago, copperhead said:

Lots of guys do this sort of stuff locally. If you on Instagram easy to find. Check wonky donky bags and bike bikebags South Africa. They will make you anything you want as far as I know. SA quality to boot. Top notch stuff.

Thanks, am not much on Instagram, it’s an age thing ????but will pop down that pleasant rabbit hole now, appreciated

17 hours ago, copperhead said:

Lots of guys do this sort of stuff locally. If you on Instagram easy to find. Check Wonky Donky bags and bike Bikebags South Africa. They will make you anything you want as far as I know. SA quality to boot. Top notch stuff.

thanks, checked out BOTH sites on Insta - some good stuff there - appreciate the heads-up!

Chris

20 hours ago, Zebra said:

(yes, I have heard some problems of Lite-in-the-box, but communication THUS far has been good...)

I’ve bought multiple cycling items each time from them on four or five occasions with no issues.  Kit's lasted well in heavy rotation in a 6-7 day cycling week and winter kit works a treat on those single-figure-temp night rides, like last night.  Delivery has taken 26 to 30 days every time.  I’ve only done multiple single-night trips so I can’t wait to read of your adventure.

Edited by justinafrika

On 8/31/2021 at 4:19 PM, copperhead said:

Me personally I would definitely go anti. The reason being is you get to see the views without killing yourself to get to them. Also it makes day 1 tough but the rest very enjoyable. I don't know your stops so not sure on your plan. This is just me personally. Most people I know do it the other way. But getting to the top of Uitkykpas and looking towards Clanwilliam still with plenty of energy is my favorite. 

If you are going to stop for the day with your wife maybe do something more fun than Oasis... also do not end up at Oasis on the weekend. The noise doesn't stop until the early hours. I really don't like that. I make sure I stop there for a few nights during the week. If you stop at sanddrif then you have Cederberg Wines and Kromriver within a short drive. Well Oasis is also only 10 minutes away too ????

BTW, cell phone coverage on the route..Vodacom in particular...any good?

If anyone is interested, I am selling a Trekmates Squall Hooped Bivvy.

https://www.trekmates.co.uk/products/squall-bivi-bag

It weights 980 grams, which is a bit on the heavy side for a bivvy, but it is made of a stronger and more durable material than the superlight tents. It also has a very good waterproof rating.

Only used 4 times, you cannot sit up in it and I can confirm that it works in snow.

R1,500 – PM meIMG-4515.jpg.b2b3c784bdac6eb5d58a5ef2268d9f41.jpg

0.jpg

IMG-4513.jpg

IMG-4514.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/31/2021 at 3:49 PM, Zebra said:

I just bought these two items, very Chinese, so I will report back on quality, etc., but for around R1300 for BOTH, thought I would give it a whirl, and see if it meets my needs - will go on a full-susser MTB, doing a 5-day/4-nite gravel tour in October.

Could not find much locally, thus going the Liteinthebox route...

https://www.lightinthebox.com/en/p/b-soul-12-l-bike-handlebar-bag-portable-cycling-wearable-bike-bag-tpu-leather-terylene-bicycle-bag-cycle-bag-cycling-outdoor-exercise-trail_p7119603.html?prm=1.5.1.338

and

https://www.lightinthebox.com/en/p/b-soul-12-l-bike-saddle-bag-rain-proof-multifunctional-durable-bike-bag-pvc-polyvinyl-chloride-600d-ripstop-bicycle-bag-cycle-bag-cycling-outdoor_p6929408.html?prm=1.5.1.362

Cheers

Chris

received today, so around 15 days, pretty good, actually, you just have to plan ahead.

Will check out fit and finish in the coming days, and report back on the (Chines) quality, etc.

Cheers

Chris 

On 8/31/2021 at 1:46 PM, Jewbacca said:

You get the reusable insulated/reflective ground sheets with a peg hole on each corner. Those also work super well and fold up tiny.

The shiny single use space blankets aren't amazing for much other than their intended single use emergency purpose. 

And keeping everyone else in the campsite awake with the rustling noise every time you move...

• 2 weeks later...

I am not sure if tyres have been discussed on this thread yet.

What 45mm width tyres should I be looking at (for a gravel bike that I don't yet own)?
These 38mm tyres that come as standard on many bikes don't fill my 98kg body with confidence.
45mm is the max that most of the current frames accommodate, with some of the new ones heading for 50mm.

This would be for touring - not an all purpose bike that sometimes sees dirt roads. I have a dedicated road and mountain bike.
Planned routes would be the Cedarberg loop or Overberg region or Swartberg Pass or The Cross Cape cycle route

Availability will obviously play a big part in my final choice...

Pirelli Cinturato 700x45 Gravel mixed or Hard ?
Hutchinson Overide HardSkin 700x45
Panaracer Gravelking SK+ seems to comes in 43 or 48, which is close enough, I suppose

Edit: The tread patterns seem quite varied on these choices. The Pirelli's seem quite 'aggressive' while the other two. I know that traction or grip is one thing, while rolling resistance is the other. How much of either should one look to maxi/minimise ?

Edited by splat

47 minutes ago, splat said:

What 45mm width tyres should I be looking at (for a gravel bike that I don't yet own)?
These 38mm tyres that come as standard on many bikes don't fill my 98kg body with confidence.
45mm is the max that most of the current frames accommodate, with some of the new ones heading for 50mm.

This would be for touring - not an all purpose bike that sometimes sees dirt roads. I have a dedicated road and mountain bike.
Planned routes would be the Cedarberg loop or Overberg region or Swartberg Pass or The Cross Cape cycle route

Panaracer Gravelking SK+ seems to comes in 43 or 48, which is close enough, I suppose

Edit: The tread patterns seem quite varied on these choices. The Pirelli's seem quite 'aggressive' while the other two. I know that traction or grip is one thing, while rolling resistance is the other. How much of either should one look to maxi/minimise ?

Go for the Panaracers. Brilliant tyres. The size depends on your clearance on frame and fork. 

OP, have you considered using 650b wheels and tires?

A lot of frames these days can fit a 650b x 2.1 (50c gravel) tire which would be even better.

I tried it out and I am a convert. If it's a touring bike and not a gravel racer then the smaller wheels and added tire clearance will benefit you hugely.

2 hours ago, splat said:

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/cx-gravel-reviews

All your questions on rolling resistance answered.

I have the Panaracer SK 43s and they are amazing. I have hammered them on rocky karoo roads, up and down the Swartberg pass and they handle well. They lost some pressure (overnight) with Stans, but with Enduro liquid / slime they loose very little pressure.

Before I bought them I read endless reviews and while there are many amazing tires out there, they seem to be a good balance between grip, rolling resistance, toughness and suppleness. Considering mainly offroad gravel with some tar sections (75/25)

In terms of size, i can't find it now, but I did find a review by a guy who field tested all the sizes and found 43 to be sweet spot considering speed and comfort. Apparently they are particularly supple and comfortable tire, while still being tough. The 45s apparently feel stiffer and are not as comfortable (which is counter intuitive, but that is what he found).