Gravel/adventure Gear

capediver

On 9/29/2021 at 10:35 AM, copperhead said:

I can't say for gravel bikes, but I have a Mtb and I will only run Pirellis. I have had the most success with them. Value for money I cannot find a better tyre for my riding. Sorry not the answer you were looking for I guess :P

I actually leave tomorrow for a 2 month trip. Fitted a brand new 2.4 yesterday and I am hoping that will see my through the 4000 odd kms I have planned.

I got a pair of 45mm Pirelli Cinturato Gravel H in classic brown ????
Now to get the actual gravel bike...

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, splat said:

OK, so the gravel bike is on hold.
I am using my MTB instead (what people used to use before gravel bikes were cool) and am riding from Oudtshoorn to St Francis over 5 days.

Meet Gladys the Camel:
image.png.4254b7aa1b07c2776cd253cd196e6835.png

What route are you taking ? Are you going over the bavaians ? I ask as I’ve been meaning to do this for ages 

10 hours ago, Wayne pudding Mol said:

What route are you taking ? Are you going over the bavaians ? I ask as I’ve been meaning to do this for ages 

Would have to be. Otherwise an N2 borefest.

Interested to hear the buffalo solution

12 hours ago, Wayne pudding Mol said:

My wife is dropping me off in Oudtshoorn on her way to Plett.
I will then follow the Cross Cape route to Plett and then head up to Crags, Storms River and meet the family in St Francis.

4 hours ago, splat said:

My wife is dropping me off in Oudtshoorn on her way to Plett.
I will then follow the Cross Cape route to Plett and then head up to Crags, Storms River and meet the family in St Francis.

So Plett to just past Storms on the N2 in December or do you have a different route up your sleeve?  I ask as I used to live in Cape St Francis and both sets of parents still do so I often think of this trip but I have to head inland from Knysna to Uniondale and the trans bavaiaans to Cape St Francis

I know how to get to St Francis on Gravel from Eerste Rivier but I don't know how to get from Plett to there without hitting the N2, something I wouldn't personally do.  I spend too much time on that stretch in a car to consider it on a bike.  If there is an option to avoid I'd love to get the info

Enjoy the trip

18 minutes ago, Wayne pudding Mol said:

So Plett to just past Storms on the N2 in December or do you have a different route up your sleeve?  I ask as I used to live in Cape St Francis and both sets of parents still do so I often think of this trip but I have to head inland from Knysna to Uniondale and the trans bavaiaans to Cape St Francis

I know how to get to St Francis on Gravel from Eerste Rivier but I don't know how to get from Plett to there without hitting the N2, something I wouldn't personally do.  I spend too much time on that stretch in a car to consider it on a bike.  If there is an option to avoid I'd love to get the info

Enjoy the trip

Otter trail!!!...Up to Kurland, down the 102 thru N Valley, over the barriers at the old Bloukrans pass...a few clicks on the N2, back to the 102, down to the start of the trail...hike-a-bike for a few days...back up at Storms, cross the N2 bridge, along to Zip lines, back onto the 102 just before the Wolf Sanctuary, to Oude Bon or just past down towards Eersterivier....done! sounds like an adventure!!

22 minutes ago, Wayne pudding Mol said:

Enjoy the trip

I hear your concern - Thank you. I am reasonably familiar with the area (As a regular holiday maker, not resident)
According to my RidewithGPS route, I ride about 20km on the N2 itself.

From Plett (Bitou river), I will go up past Keurbooms to Kurland where I overnight. Then its Natures Valley and Bloukraans to Coldstream and then 10km to Storms River for the next sleep over.
The next day I will hit 'The Old Plett Rd' to St Francis Bay

image.png.82b979cfbb7df94013e085254e512051.png

image.png.fa5bd3c3368c715d6d5ab8da2dd9e4f9.png

4 hours ago, capediver said:

Otter trail!!!...Up to Kurland, down the 102 thru N Valley, over the barriers at the old Bloukrans pass...a few clicks on the N2, back to the 102, down to the start of the trail...hike-a-bike for a few days...back up at Storms, cross the N2 bridge, along to Zip lines, back onto the 102 just before the Wolf Sanctuary, to Oude Bon or just past down towards Eersterivier....done! sounds like an adventure!!

This is actually a workable plan 

4 hours ago, splat said:

I hear your concern - Thank you. I am reasonably familiar with the area (As a regular holiday maker, not resident)
According to my RidewithGPS route, I ride about 20km on the N2 itself.

From Plett (Bitou river), I will go up past Keurbooms to Kurland where I overnight. Then its Natures Valley and Bloukraans to Coldstream and then 10km to Storms River for the next sleep over.
The next day I will hit 'The Old Plett Rd' to St Francis Bay

image.png.82b979cfbb7df94013e085254e512051.png

image.png.fa5bd3c3368c715d6d5ab8da2dd9e4f9.png

This sounds like an awesome adventure