What apps or software do you use to monitor your training and progress?

arandre

Hi everyone, I'm looking at training apps and software to monitor your progress. I see many people use strava, GC, TP and Garmin. Are there any others i should have a look at? My goal is to see my progress as I become more fit. I have a basic gps cycling computer that syncs with strava and it shows time, speed, distance etc. Can you name some that have worked for you?

1 minute ago, Jbr said:

intervals.icu

seconded

Intervals.icu if you want to monitor fitness, power etc.

Statshunter, veloviewer, elevate if you want to play around with stats 

proBikeGarage , hubtiger if you want to keep track of bike maintenance

31 minutes ago, Kom said:

So many threads on this - just search strava from forums section.

Thank you for your valued input, like my post says i'm already on strava, i'm looking for others.

If you want an off-line system that's free but still has a beyond granular level of ways to map and monitor your progress check out Golden Cheetah. To date I have yet to find anything that gives you this level of detail on your training progress which is free.

Having said that, it does require some extra reading/watching to fully understand all of the tech jargon and assessment methods that are available in it. There is a comprehensive selection of tutorial videos on the website that address that.

1 hour ago, Jbr said:

intervals.icu

For me: Garmin device logging data to Garmin Connect. 

Intervals.icu then pulls the data it needs and takes care of everything I could ever want to do with the data. 

Its free and Web-based, which means that you don't need to run a local copy, like you would need to do for Golden Cheetah to see your data. With Intervals you can see your data from any device that has an Internet connection. 

2 hours ago, arandre said:

Thank you for your valued input, like my post says i'm already on strava, i'm looking for others.

appreciate the sarcasm, mine wasnt though, there literally is a ton of information on this forum in which the thread starts about strava and ends up talking about the merits of other products.

your sentiment should return to this space on friday where your type seems to prosper (aka keyboard warriors)

I've found that a paid subscription (search for coupons online) to Training Peaks and a decent plan has made a huge difference to my training. 

The fact that I'm also paying for a plan also helps with motivation.... plus I've started doing a rinse and repeat with my current training plan which helps keeping costs down. 

Purchased a 12 week plan - completed - FTP test

Copy pasta same 12 week plan into future dates - complete - FTP test etc

I also really like intervals.icu and the Elevate plugin for Chrome (similar to intervals.icu)

Edited by Muttley

you can always go big and feed your data into a BI platform with a few clever forecasting/regression models...

16 minutes ago, Kom said:

appreciate the sarcasm, mine wasnt though, there literally is a ton of information on this forum in which the thread starts about strava and ends up talking about the merits of other products.

your sentiment should return to this space on friday where your type seems to prosper (aka keyboard warriors)

thanks but i wasn't being sarcastic, i'm legit asking for help

3 hours ago, ouzo said:

seconded

Intervals.icu if you want to monitor fitness, power etc.

Statshunter, veloviewer, elevate if you want to play around with stats 

proBikeGarage , hubtiger if you want to keep track of bike maintenance

Have you tried any of them? How do they work for you?

3 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

intervals.icu if you want to monitor your progress and avoid FTP tests

Today's Plan if you want to build training plans for specific goals, plans included in premium subscription.

These are the 2 I use

ah thank you I'll give them a try

2 hours ago, Kavandje said:

If you want an off-line system that's free but still has a beyond granular level of ways to map and monitor your progress check out Golden Cheetah. To date I have yet to find anything that gives you this level of detail on your training progress which is free.

Having said that, it does require some extra reading/watching to fully understand all of the tech jargon and assessment methods that are available in it. There is a comprehensive selection of tutorial videos on the website that address that.

Thanks , i'm going to try that. There are a lot of stuff there that I don't understand and others that I need an external monitor for.

1 hour ago, Vetplant said:

For me: Garmin device logging data to Garmin Connect. 

Intervals.icu then pulls the data it needs and takes care of everything I could ever want to do with the data. 

Its free and Web-based, which means that you don't need to run a local copy, like you would need to do for Golden Cheetah to see your data. With Intervals you can see your data from any device that has an Internet connection. 

Thanks, that's actually a really good idea especially if you not home.

26 minutes ago, Muttley said:

I've found that a paid subscription (search for coupons online) to Training Peaks and a decent plan has made a huge difference to my training. 

The fact that I'm also paying for a plan also helps with motivation.... plus I've started doing a rinse and repeat with my current training plan which helps keeping costs down. 

Purchased a 12 week plan - completed - FTP test

Copy pasta same 12 week plan into future dates - complete - FTP test etc

I also really like intervals.icu and the Elevate plugin for Chrome (similar to intervals.icu)

I had a quick look at training peaks, where do you get the coupons? I like how you can find a coach there.

Edited by arandre

3 minutes ago, arandre said:

Have you tried any of them? How do they work for you?

ah thank you I'll give them a try

Thanks , i'm going to try that. There are a lot of stuff there that I don't understand and others that I need an external monitor for.

Thanks, that's actually a really good idea especially if you not home.

I had a quick look at training peaks, where do you get the coupons? I like how you can find a coach there.

https://www.google.com/search?q=training+peaks+coupons

56 minutes ago, Kom said:

If you are already a paid up member on strava and not following a plan then the power curve on strava is a very good start to monitor your progress, you can use it over time to monitor your best 1, 5, 10, 20 whatever duration efforts and see how it progresses.

I personnaly only use training peaks to see what my program is for the day, then analyse the details of each workout on intervals.icu, to see if I matched and how I matched each target wether it’s power or torque. No real point using intervals.icu over the strava power curve if you don’t do proper intervals workouts in my opinion. Intervals.icu also have another view of your best 1, 5, 10…mins effort relative to the average other users that is good for your ego (or not).