What apps or software do you use to monitor your training and progress?

arandre

1 hour ago, arandre said:

Thanks, I kind of meant which website do you use for the coupons? There so many fake coupons out there.

Oh...  I just tried whatever worked ????

16 hours ago, Jbr said:

If you are already a paid up member on strava and not following a plan then the power curve on strava is a very good start to monitor your progress, you can use it over time to monitor your best 1, 5, 10, 20 whatever duration efforts and see how it progresses.

I personnaly only use training peaks to see what my program is for the day, then analyse the details of each workout on intervals.icu, to see if I matched and how I matched each target wether it’s power or torque. No real point using intervals.icu over the strava power curve if you don’t do proper intervals workouts in my opinion. Intervals.icu also have another view of your best 1, 5, 10…mins effort relative to the average other users that is good for your ego (or not).

provided you  have a power meter. Power curve does buggerall without a power meter.

if you don't have a power meter I don't really see what all the tools mentioned can help you follow your progress. Only average speed on a specific route/segment can measure progress without a PM. So back to Strava

Edited by Jbr

10 minutes ago, Jbr said:

if you don't have a power meter I don't really see what all the tools mentioned can help you follow your progress. Only average speed on a specific route/segment can measure progress without a PM. So back to Strava

and then things like weather and to a degree, traffic, can throw a bicycle-sized spanner in the works

My thoughts are that if I'm interested in getting better, then intervals.icu is all I need, though a power meter is essential. i must take the pain, spend the money and in the years to come, the improvements and satisfaction I feel will more than offset the costs I incur today. If I'm just into enjoying riding my bike, then all that's off the table and I must ride for fun

intervals.icu is very handy for tracking Running parameters. Plenty of the newer Garmin Watches can now run an APP that can give you Running Power estimates, based on weight, incline and speed.

Good enough for an average-Joe runner. Most of the time you just want to track energy expenditure and prevent over-exertion. I think these Power Estimate Apps are decent in that regard.

I think the Power Estimation Apps for cycling should be pretty much good enough for a large section of the cycling community that cannot afford a power meter, but do own a Garmin.

Estimated power on strava is way off, how many times have I seen people averaging 450w for 1,5 hours around killarney :D they would destroy the field on WT races with those numbers. Average speed on a specific route/segment would be way more accurate, providing you don't compare the same flat segment with a tail wind or a headwind

Edited by Jbr

it doesn't matter if you have a PM or not.

If using HR then it will track your performance improvements in relation to lactate threshold. You can still track average speed gains over segments. Strava doesn't give you good analytics in terms of lactate threshold. I've coached people effectively using just HR and RPE, with Average speed. A PM makes it easier but its not necessary

9 minutes ago, Vetplant said:

intervals.icu is very handy for tracking Running parameters. Plenty of the newer Garmin Watches can now run an APP that can give you Running Power estimates, based on weight, incline and speed.

Good enough for an average-Joe runner. Most of the time you just want to track energy expenditure and prevent over-exertion. I think these Power Estimate Apps are decent in that regard.

I think the Power Estimation Apps for cycling should be pretty much good enough for a large section of the cycling community that cannot afford a power meter, but do own a Garmin.

nah Vet, forget those. These over estimate and underestimate i.e. are very inconsistent 

by way of illustration the estimators are calculating based on P= Force x velocity. The velocity aspect is measurable but the Force is based on your claimed weight, assumed frontal area and therefore coefficient of Drag. There's too many lies and guesses in that number for it to be accurate consistently.

HR training would be a much better measure

42 minutes ago, Jbr said:

you can still track fitness and freshness levels

And if you've done the same route enough times in different conditions you can get a feel for what the numbers should be vs what actually got recorded.

For instance post Covid I've riden the same routes as pre covid, routes I've done 100s of times in varying conditions and I've been able to track my improvements over those routes.  

10 minutes ago, FondTF2 said:

Old school.

Excel Spreadsheet.

True that. Some of these websites have an export to excel spreadsheet option so it's a lot faster than sitting yourself and putting the numbers in.

1 hour ago, Jbr said:

Estimated power on strava is way off, how many times have I seen people averaging 450w for 1,5 hours around killarney :D they would destroy the field on WT races with those numbers. Average speed on a specific route/segment would be way more accurate, providing you don't compare the same flat segment with a tail wind or a headwind

Agreed on the estimated power being way off.

Here’s a local KOM, where I averaged 252W with a PM, and then the same day another guy (who IS super strong), with a strong tailwind, did this (estimated power):

F45CD6C6-9F08-468D-84F0-FCC3231C78BA.jpeg.ce0182e5f3256ff8a39dd38c85fac447.jpeg

E42D6DB1-B23A-4BEF-99B4-BE2906B77580.jpeg.aa61ffc2ffa89b9b5740814eed5e26da.jpeg