New wheelset or new Sealed Bearing rear Hub? Pls help

CheeseAndWineBiker

35 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

The freehub on my stationary HT is Shimano FH-M475 which is giving me some issues. As I replaced the wheelset on my full-sus I was considering using that wheel's freehub on the HT. Or would I be better of converting the thru-axle to QR to fit the HT? I want to use the HT for my mid week fitness improvement rides and won't be going anywhere near a trail since I have retired it from active trail duty.

And in the case I can do the QR conversion, what would I need to pull that off?

If you're just using it on the IDT then keep the hub and flush and relube the freehub - instructions here

If it doesn't work, you won't be stuck out on the trail. If it does, you've saved yourself R 900 and serviced your hub at the same time.

12 hours ago, Robbie Stewart said:

I recently got a set of these for ~R6k

https://www.rapide.co.za/product/rapide-tr29-36-sl-wheelset/

Overall I'm happy so far. I had a bit of an issue with my rear rim cutting into the tyre sidewall, but nothing a bit of very light sanding on the offending sharp ridge at the rim joint could not sort out. i'm going to go out on a limb and say I got that 1/100 manufacture defect and that should not occur again likely. The rear hub also sound cracker on the trails. 

What I really like is the extra internal rim width - 36mm - which gives the 2.60" tyres a nice grippy footprint and allows riding lower pressures, making the already plush bike feel even more plush.

I was considering going DT Swiss, but the cost rapidly escalated and I was not really wanting to fork out more than I could comfortably spend at the time. I don't regret going with these.

If your budget is R6500 then these are a good option to consider - something I would do over buying second hand.

Thanks Robbie! These look great. I think I will be going for the 30mm ones though, don't ride big stuff and I ride 2.35" tyres.

How's the hubs on the wheels like? 

I had them for about 6ish months, did not have any issues, I bought those wheels for my old Spez Stumpy, the stock wheels were not great, the Rapide wheels were a HUGE improvement, when I sold my Stumpy I put its stock wheels back on and then sold the Rapide wheels to help fund the new bike because it came with supposedly better wheels, should never have sold the Rapide wheels....

5 hours ago, Chadvdw67 said:

I would also recommend the Rapide rims, I had a set on a previous bike and they were really nice, I personally wouldn't go for the 36mm rims, the 30mm would be my choice

At R6k I think they will be hard to beat

Just fitted a set of Rapidé rims 2 months ago... already completed destroyed the rear

10 minutes ago, Alouette3 said:

Just fitted a set of Rapidé rims 2 months ago... already completed destroyed the rear

This is such a subjective thing though. Obviously you get better and worse wheels, but there are so many factors in determining the longevity of wheels, like rider weight, terrain, riding style, etc. There's probably guys on here that have been riding the same wheels for years with no issue

2 hours ago, droo said:

If you're just using it on the IDT then keep the hub and flush and relube the freehub - instructions here

If it doesn't work, you won't be stuck out on the trail. If it does, you've saved yourself R 900 and serviced your hub at the same time.

I realise I used a poor choice of words when I referred to the bike as stationary - I meant stationary in the context of it hanging in my garage due to the offending hub. I intend to ride it again, but not on trails, just on cycle paths and some tar segments around Blouberg and Melkbos to get my fitness back.

I am not a IDT kind of guy. If I can't reasonably expect to fix the hub, then I'll forego spending money on tools and rather have it replaced again. I have no use for a bike wall ornament adorning my garage. Either it must be ridden or hasta la vista.

This brings me to my other alternative - use the old Spez Roval and convert it to QR and ride that in stead of the old HT wheel.

2 hours ago, CheeseAndWineBiker said:

Thanks Robbie! These look great. I think I will be going for the 30mm ones though, don't ride big stuff and I ride 2.35" tyres.

How's the hubs on the wheels like? 

So far no issues on the hubs. They engage quickly and have been working flawlessly. I still need to get used to the wrrrrrrrrrrrr sound when I am descending some tech sections on my rides, as my previous hub was quiet. I am enjoying it though and find it to be an effective "bell" to warn people I'm approaching.

1 hour ago, Alouette3 said:

mmmm, I'm curious - what lead to the failure? And did you take it up with Rapide? What response did you get?

1 hour ago, Mountain Bru said:

Pity these are sold out. https://www.on-lynecomponents.com/collections/wheels/products/pulse-28-alloy-wheelset-29?variant=31737183141959

If I needed new wheels, I wouldn't even look at anything else. Great to know you'll get amazeballs customer service from Lyne too

I got my dropper, stem and bars from Lyne a couple months ago, and was sad when I contacted them and I was informed no stock available when I wanted a new wheelset. They apparently have new stock arriving around Nov if memory serves.

9 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

I realise I used a poor choice of words when I referred to the bike as stationary - I meant stationary in the context of it hanging in my garage due to the offending hub. I intend to ride it again, but not on trails, just on cycle paths and some tar segments around Blouberg and Melkbos to get my fitness back.

I am not a IDT kind of guy. If I can't reasonably expect to fix the hub, then I'll forego spending money on tools and rather have it replaced again. I have no use for a bike wall ornament adorning my garage. Either it must be ridden or hasta la vista.

This brings me to my other alternative - use the old Spez Roval and convert it to QR and ride that in stead of the old HT wheel.

Take the Roval to your local Spez dealer and see what they can do - I'm not sure if it's possible to convert those hubs to QR, but if anyone knows it's them.

So sad that some bikes come with poor quality wheels, when the rest of the bike is pretty awesome - I guess they have to reach their price point somehow.

The best thing you can do is have a new set of wheels built. You can get wheels that are stronger than stock, most likely lighter too, and with parts that are a lot more serviceable. 

The sealed bearing hubs from Rapide, Lyne, Hope, DT Swiss, Novatec, Bitex etc are all good options and all decent value for money.

I'd advise stay away from anything that uses non-standard or proprietary spokes or nipples. This will be a huge headache in a few years when they need maintenance.

Right now, alloy rims are like hens teeth in SA, with almost no 29er alloy rims available from any of the normal brands.

Spank 350 rims in 28h are available though, today, in limited quantities. No DT Swiss, WTB or Raceface currently available, and I see cSixx, Rapide's and Lyne's rims are out of stock too.

The cool thing about a set of custom built wheels, especially if your bike is BOOST compatible, is that you'll be able to move the wheels to a new bike when you upgrade at some point - you are able to future-proof your investment.

46 minutes ago, nick_the_wheelbuilder said:

So sad that some bikes come with poor quality wheels, when the rest of the bike is pretty awesome - I guess they have to reach their price point somehow.

The best thing you can do is have a new set of wheels built. You can get wheels that are stronger than stock, most likely lighter too, and with parts that are a lot more serviceable. 

The sealed bearing hubs from Rapide, Lyne, Hope, DT Swiss, Novatec, Bitex etc are all good options and all decent value for money.

I'd advise stay away from anything that uses non-standard or proprietary spokes or nipples. This will be a huge headache in a few years when they need maintenance.

Right now, alloy rims are like hens teeth in SA, with almost no 29er alloy rims available from any of the normal brands.

Spank 350 rims in 28h are available though, today, in limited quantities. No DT Swiss, WTB or Raceface currently available, and I see cSixx, Rapide's and Lyne's rims are out of stock too.

The cool thing about a set of custom built wheels, especially if your bike is BOOST compatible, is that you'll be able to move the wheels to a new bike when you upgrade at some point - you are able to future-proof your investment.

Can you also tell me the Powerball Lotto numbers...! :)

The last 6 years have taught that just when you think that you're future proofed and set up with your rig, the bike industry introduces a new standard. Already they are looking beyond Boost :(