Lefty conversion Q: Lefty on Niner Frame

Dirt Tracker

Okay hubland I'm hoping that some one can shed a bit of light on the process of getting a lefty fork onto a non-cannondale frame and If you've done it what was the process like, could you get the adapts kits locally etc. 

Background: I'm looking to put a Lefty 1 on a Niner MCR 9 (853 steel version) that I've got set up as a gravel bike. Currently it's got a Niner carbon fork on and I came across a good deal on the Lefty and thought - 'that might be fun' - and then went 'ahhhhhh' when it arrived. 

After a bit of research I've seen various bits around using the cannondale 'lefty for all' kit (which seems to have been discontinued) or a Projects 321 conversion kit from overseas. 

Things I'm wondering: 

- Good idea or just too much work for little reward? 
- Any local suppliers fo the conversion kits? 
- With the conversion and the change in the handle bar height because of the lefty double crown I'm guessing a negative degree stem would work to solve this?
- If you use a lefty, is there a stem length minimum, I'm running a 50mm on my bike at the moment and I'm guessing that wouldn't fit around the fork's top section. 
- Is the only options for a service still Omnico?

Hi I've done this conversion a few times in the past omnico did do a conversion kit not sure if still available.  Can follow-up on that tomorrow.is the nine frame a std or taper head set basically you need a steerer tube that the lefty attaches to at the bottom of the fork then a shim that fits over the steerer tube and into the upper fork attachment a std stem is used to keep it all in place. Robbies bike in Port Elizabeth is tops with service of leftys

We can service Leftys, so can RBC.

The Project321 kit is probably your best bet, just make sure the clamps on the Lefty are far enough apart to fit your head tube and headset.

12 hours ago, Dirt Tracker said:

Okay hubland I'm hoping that some one can shed a bit of light on the process of getting a lefty fork onto a non-cannondale frame and If you've done it what was the process like, could you get the adapts kits locally etc. 

Background: I'm looking to put a Lefty 1 on a Niner MCR 9 (853 steel version) that I've got set up as a gravel bike. Currently it's got a Niner carbon fork on and I came across a good deal on the Lefty and thought - 'that might be fun' - and then went 'ahhhhhh' when it arrived. 

After a bit of research I've seen various bits around using the cannondale 'lefty for all' kit (which seems to have been discontinued) or a Projects 321 conversion kit from overseas. 

Things I'm wondering: 

- Good idea or just too much work for little reward? Good idea but Lefty 1.0 wasn't cannondales shining hour. 
- Any local suppliers fo the conversion kits? Try Omnico, They had conversion kitsin stock 
- With the conversion and the change in the handle bar height because of the lefty double crown I'm guessing a negative degree stem would work to solve this? This is likely going to be necessary depnding on the distance between the clamps. This distance varies depending on  what size Cannondale  frame the Lefty was intended for. Most common aftermarket model had 134mm clamp distance
- If you use a lefty, is there a stem length minimum, I'm running a 50mm on my bike at the moment and I'm guessing that wouldn't fit around the fork's top section. The stem length is only limited if you use a Headshock steerer tube and the Fork has Hydraulic Lockout. If its a manual lock out you can get away with short positive rise stems.
- Is the only options for a service still Omnico? Omnico, Robbies Bicycle Concept, and Stoke Suspension that I know of

Missed the part about it being a 1.0 - get it properly (and I mean properly) assessed before you buy. There are no spares available for those things anymore, so it'll be pretty easy to buy yourself a paperweight.

2 hours ago, DIPSLICK said:

if the Niner fork is for sale please PM me, I need one

I've learnt the hard way with those. Always worth keeping the one you have and a spare in the shed if you come across one. 

16 minutes ago, Dirt Tracker said:

I've learnt the hard way with those. Always worth keeping the one you have and a spare in the shed if you come across one. 

lol exactly why I am asking????

22 minutes ago, droo said:

Missed the part about it being a 1.0 - get it properly (and I mean properly) assessed before you buy. There are no spares available for those things anymore, so it'll be pretty easy to buy yourself a paperweight.

cannondaleexperts.com and eightyaid have spares from time to time. Not sure where they source them

10 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

cannondaleexperts.com and eightyaid have spares from time to time. Not sure where they source them

Useful info, thanks.

On 8/31/2021 at 9:58 PM, Dirt Tracker said:

Things I'm wondering: 

- Good idea or just too much work for little reward? 
- Any local suppliers fo the conversion kits? 
- With the conversion and the change in the handle bar height because of the lefty double crown I'm guessing a negative degree stem would work to solve this?
- If you use a lefty, is there a stem length minimum, I'm running a 50mm on my bike at the moment and I'm guessing that wouldn't fit around the fork's top section. 
- Is the only options for a service still Omnico?

I did the same thing on a gravel bike. It's not worth the effort.

Rather get a decent carbon fork that fits the wheel and go the proper gravel route. Make sure it's not a 29er carbon fork: it looks **** and the steerer angles are wrong.

14 hours ago, King_Crispy said:

I did the same thing on a gravel bike. It's not worth the effort.

Rather get a decent carbon fork that fits the wheel and go the proper gravel route. Make sure it's not a 29er carbon fork: it looks **** and the steerer angles are wrong.

Thanks, what was the down side? Really interested to hear the issues / experience. 

I've the bike for a while and I've been really happy with the ride so it's just the lefty I'm thinking of swapping in. Just received the Lefty, very happy. It's in great nick had a recent, full service, came with a AC lefty hub so now just needs a converter and a rim / wheel build. Might be a terrible idea in the end but fun to find out. At worst I guess I've got a fork now if I want to swap the frame back to a HT and roll around like that. 

Screen-Shot-2021-09-03-at-9.26.23-am.jpg

6 minutes ago, Dirt Tracker said:

Thanks, what was the down side? Really interested to hear the issues / experience. 

I've the bike for a while and I've been really happy with the ride so it's just the lefty I'm thinking of swapping in. Just received the Lefty, very happy. It's in great nick had a recent, full service, came with a AC lefty hub so now just needs a converter and a rim / wheel build. Might be a terrible idea in the end but fun to find out. At worst I guess I've got a fork now if I want to swap the frame back to a HT and roll around like that. 

Screen-Shot-2021-09-03-at-9.26.23-am.jpg

Hawt