Frontrunner roof rack compatible bike carrier

Aadil Adam

Hi.

I'm am looking for info on a compatible bicycle carrier to mount to a front runner roof rack. Are there cheaper, yet as effective alternatives for the front runner fork mount adapter that attaches to the rack?

Is it possible to mount a Thule pro ride, or thule products, to a front runner rack?

TIA

Screenshot_20210902-125401_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by Aadil Adam

Hi there, Frontrunner actually sells an adapter set to allow you to attach 2 Thule Wing bars to their roof rack, you can then use a Pro Ride for the bike. The adapters are available on their website for about R580 but you still have to buy the two wing bars and a Pro Ride (or however many you need), just organising for one of my customers for a Suzuki Jimny.

22 hours ago, Brett MTBer said:

Hi there, Frontrunner actually sells an adapter set to allow you to attach 2 Thule Wing bars to their roof rack, you can then use a Pro Ride for the bike. The adapters are available on their website for about R580 but you still have to buy the two wing bars and a Pro Ride (or however many you need), just organising for one of my customers for a Suzuki Jimny.

Thank you kindly for this info. 

Do you have additional info whether any generic fork mounts, that are usually priced less, have a fit for the frontrunner rack? 

2 hours ago, Aadil Adam said:

Thank you kindly for this info. 

Do you have additional info whether any generic fork mounts, that are usually priced less, have a fit for the frontrunner rack? 

Normally Frontrunner racks have slots for bolts to slide in, in order to mount an assortment of camping goods to the rack.

Those bolts could be used to bolt down Holdfats bike clamp-fittings.

I do believe the standard Thule bolts are too wide for the Frontrunner slots though.

On 9/2/2021 at 12:51 PM, Aadil Adam said:

I'm am looking for info on a compatible bicycle carrier to mount to a front runner roof rack. Are there cheaper, yet as effective alternatives for the front runner fork mount adapter that attaches to the rack?

Honestly, you can mess around with this, that and one and the other thing but I'm not sure you'll find another fitment quite as satisfactory on the FR RR as the original FR parts.  

3 hours ago, MudLark said:

Honestly, you can mess around with this, that and one and the other thing but I'm not sure you'll find another fitment quite as satisfactory on the FR RR as the original FR parts.  

I do understand though I find R1300 a fitting, per bike, a bit excessive when other fork mountings are available for R500, new. 

Ideally, I'd like to bolt the 'arm' from the pro ride, directly to the rack, and for it to hold the frame, and to tie the wheels done to the rack as per the original FR wheel holder. 

Placing a Thule bar on a front runner rack and thereafter a pro-ride to it, may look cumbersome. 

Edited by Aadil Adam

13 hours ago, Aadil Adam said:

I do understand though I find R1300 a fitting, per bike, a bit excessive when other fork mountings are available for R500, new. 

Ideally, I'd like to bolt the 'arm' from the pro ride, directly to the rack, and for it to hold the frame, and to tie the wheels done to the rack as per the original FR wheel holder. 

Placing a Thule bar on a front runner rack and thereafter a pro-ride to it, may look cumbersome. 

Aadil, the thing is that you have a Front Runner roof rack. I don't know of any other fitting that is perfectly compatible with it. I suspect you're going to find that any other thing you try will be some sort of a compromise. Or you will end up drilling your roof rack or something like that. I have an old African Outback roof rack. Similar to the Front Runner but very tough and with slightly different spacing. In the end I had to get the Front Runner mounts and modify them somewhat to get them to fit my roof rack. I couldn't find a better option. If you do happen to find a better option, please let me know as I am unaware of it and I may wish to consider it.