What sealant

Grant Prince

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, BaGearA said:

Why not just pop the tyre off on the one side ? 

Going through the valve just seems like a massive ball ache to me 

straight in the tyre when you are putting it on, through the valve is only for top ups, never had to do it on a mtb though as I don't puncture that often. On the road bike though at least once a month I get a messy one that sprays sealant all over the bike, so I do top up occasionaly through the valve.

at the moment I use the stan's race sealant, the one they say is likely to clog your valves... can't say it's not a good sealant, I actually never really had a bad experience... especially for MTBs, I don't think any sealant out there will give you issues on the MTB, the pressures are so low... on the road bikes it's another story.

Edited by Jbr

Re the strong chemical smell - this is usually ammonia and can sometimes corrode where you have different metals in contact.

11 hours ago, Meezo said:

I use you enduro seal, so not everyone you trust

you make a decent coffee .... so I will tentatively trust you :P

40 minutes ago, Jbr said:

straight in the tyre when you are putting it on, through the valve is only for top ups, never had to do it on a mtb though as I don't puncture that often. On the road bike though at least once a month I get a messy one that sprays sealant all over the bike, so I do top up occasionaly through the valve.

at the moment I use the stan's race sealant, the one they say is likely to clog your valves... can't say it's not a good sealant, I actually never really had a bad experience... especially for MTBs, I don't think any sealant out there will give you issues on the MTB, the pressures are so low... on the road bikes it's another story.

Give Orange Seal a try, the original is great for road use

I never add sealant while the tyre is off. Always add it with the tyre seated. No chance of spillage and getting it all over the rim.

Seat the tyre first then add sealant via the valve. Simple, never had an issue when using the Enduro seal applicator. Those syringe jobbies are crap. The pipe is so small it filters out the grit and you only end up with latex in the tyre.

The Stans and Enduro Seal applicators work well enough. The Enduro seal applicator is free with a 1L bottle so its a no brainer

Ryder. I have used a number of other sealants. I am tired of having to peel stuff out of tyres. It is almost always a laborious and time consuming job. The Ryder just washes out. 

19 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

I never add sealant while the tyre is off. Always add it with the tyre seated. No chance of spillage and getting it all over the rim.

Seat the tyre first then add sealant via the valve. Simple, never had an issue when using the Enduro seal applicator. Those syringe jobbies are crap. The pipe is so small it filters out the grit and you only end up with latex in the tyre.

The Stans and Enduro Seal applicators work well enough. The Enduro seal applicator is free with a 1L bottle so its a no brainer

Free with a 250ml bottle as well.

Thanks for all the info. Do you think it is ok to mix sealant? Use another brand when topping up?

Also do you ever remove lealant before topping up i guess it can loose some properties and then mixing old and new May dilute the newly added. 

Been having some puncture issues lately. 

About 5 years ago my LBS recommended "Uni-seal SLUDGE"

Sludge.jpg.c76f1141cf518df41ea3c8c057ba3536.jpg

Thousands of kilometers later, and many many thorns later, we are HAPPY with this product.

It works equally well in tubeless, as well as in tubes.  Used it in Maritz's bikes for years when we could not do tubeless conversions to his smaller bikes.  I now also use it on the tubes with my 50C tires, as these tires are not tubeless ready.... I have seen the post ride evidence of white droplets on the downtube of a puncture that got sealed without interupting my ride.

Applicator.JPG.835938d60deec71a16cbef174a99e5b1.JPG

I also first seat the the tires, get the job done, then add the sealant via the valve.  Top-ups are done this way.  Maybe 2 minutes per tire.  Clean.  Easy, no hassles.

34 minutes ago, Grant Prince said:

Thanks for all the info. Do you think it is ok to mix sealant? Use another brand when topping up?

Many brands are wildly different formulations. I don't recommend it.

1 hour ago, Grant Prince said:

Also do you ever remove lealant before topping up i guess it can loose some properties and then mixing old and new May dilute the newly added. 

Been having some puncture issues lately. 

yeah no problem. the sky won't nor ANC will fall as much as we may hope for the latter

36 minutes ago, MudLark said:

Many brands are wildly different formulations. I don't recommend it.

nonsense man...

how wildly different is different ratios of latex, grit, diluent and coagulant?