What sealant

Grant Prince

6 hours ago, MudLark said:

My philosophy is quite different. People - like me - often look for comparatively light and low rolling resistance tyres. I've never understood the sense in doing that and then letting the crud build up inside the tyre, especially when it pools and forms thick sections. People worry a lot of about weight - well, some anyway - but pay little attention to these aspects of maintaining the tyres. Yet tyres and their rolling resistance can have a material effect on a bikes overall performance, at least as far as I as am aware.

As to mixing sealants, I still am not persuaded that it's good practice. As I say, in my experience some of them have quite different characteristics. This is especially evident to me when cleaning out the tyres. I have also noticed that for example Continental Revosealant seems to change characteristics once it is beyond its expiry date. For me the Ryder sealant is by far the easiest to deal with from a tyre maintenance perspective. The downside is that it's not as fast sealing as the Continental and doesn't seal holes as big as the Stans race sealant. But I find that the last can be a particular challenge to clean out. From a practical tyre maintenance perspective therefore, at least in my experience, they are quite different.

For this reason and because I tend to clean my tyres two or perhaps three times a year and I have a number of bikes with tubeless tyres, this is a not insignificant factor. Also, as I say, because I mostly look to buy and have light, fast rolling tyres

It may be that the components used in the formulations are similar but the ultimate characteristics can be quite different. That's indeed the reason why people find one preferable to another. If there was no difference in characteristics there would be nothing to choose.

YMMV.

Like He Said

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 9/4/2021 at 6:47 AM, Vetseun said:

I once put vaseline on a chicks o ri....... ag never mind

Eddy said.

Amateur.

If you pump it hard enough you can get it over the ceiling.....

ag never mind.

On 9/4/2021 at 6:47 AM, Vetseun said:

I once put vaseline on a chicks o ri....... ag never mind

Yellow card for fowl play ????

• 10 months later...

Started using Enduro Seal recently, but found it keeps blocking up my valves, has anyone else had the same issue? Previously I was usibg Stan's and never had any problems, but the Enduro Seal has been causinge real head aches with blocking up my valves

20 minutes ago, Chadvdw67 said:

Started using Enduro Seal recently, but found it keeps blocking up my valves, has anyone else had the same issue? Previously I was usibg Stan's and never had any problems, but the Enduro Seal has been causinge real head aches with blocking up my valves

yes, also have that. But strangely only on the rear wheel. Doesnt completely block it, but does make inflating the tyre that little bit more difficult as the air does not pass through as freely.

23 minutes ago, ouzo said:

yes, also have that. But strangely only on the rear wheel. Doesnt completely block it, but does make inflating the tyre that little bit more difficult as the air does not pass through as freely.

Strangely enough, it has also only been my rear wheel 🤣 pumping up the tyre isnt really the problem, but I cant check pressures as it doesn't let out any air, I pushed through an old piece of cable inner and it cleaned it out enough to pump up and check the pressure, but the following morning it is blocked up solid again 🙈

Edited by Chadvdw67

I am not sure if anyone has mentioned it, maybe I have mentioned it before "Squirt seal" - STAY AWAY, I hade endless issues, I still have almost a Full bottle in my garage with the bead - anyone that wants it are more than welcome to collect in the east rand - Free.

13 minutes ago, Dexter-morgan said:

I am not sure if anyone has mentioned it, maybe I have mentioned it before "Squirt seal" - STAY AWAY, I hade endless issues, I still have almost a Full bottle in my garage with the bead - anyone that wants it are more than welcome to collect in the east rand - Free.

Quite impossible to clean out, especially with the bead rubbish.  Never again - I agree,

Edited by Pieter-za
Grammer

2 hours ago, Chadvdw67 said:

I have been using it for a while, but haven't found that it is especially bad when compared to other sealants.

I will probably get blasted for saying this, but when my valve cores are clogged; I soak them in a solvent like turpentine to dissolve the sealant. Leave it in there for an hour or so and you are good to go.

11 minutes ago, MTBRIDER1234 said:

I have been using it for a while, but haven't found that it is especially bad when compared to other sealants.

I will probably get blasted for saying this, but when my valve cores are clogged; I soak them in a solvent like turpentine to dissolve the sealant. Leave it in there for an hour or so and you are good to go.

Taking the tyre off that often sounds like it would be a real pain in the backside, I put new valves in, and they got blocked after 1 ride....

2 minutes ago, Chadvdw67 said:

Taking the tyre off that often sounds like it would be a real pain in the backside, I put new valves in, and they got blocked after 1 ride....

I just unscrew the valve cores, no need to take off the tire luckily, otherwise I would never get round to it haha

1 minute ago, MTBRIDER1234 said:

I just unscrew the valve cores, no need to take off the tire luckily, otherwise I would never get round to it haha

The core is not what is getting blocked though, the actual valve body is getting blocked, I can remove the valve core and no air comes out

1 minute ago, Chadvdw67 said:

The core is not what is getting blocked though, the actual valve body is getting blocked, I can remove the valve core and no air comes out

Oh, I see what you are saying now

You can just use an allen key or a spoke to unclog it, but this is only a temporary fix

1 hour ago, Chadvdw67 said:

ok thats a bit different to what I'm experiencing, for me its the core that it getting blocked.

Perhaps the issue is with your valve ? Have you tried using different ones ?

6 minutes ago, ouzo said:

ok thats a bit different to what I'm experiencing, for me its the core that it getting blocked.

Perhaps the issue is with your valve ? Have you tried using different ones ?

I have put different valves in, same problem