Shimano MT200 - Are they any good?

Rolf Hansen

I currently have Avid Juicy Seven brake calipers with one Juicy Seven lever and one Elixr R lever.

The brakes, caliper side, seems to work pretty good. Has lot's of bite and especially the Elixr lever has great modulation. The problem is the reach adjustment does not seem to work. The Juicy lever's adjustment does not seem to do much and the Elixr adjustment wheel is impossible to turn.

I have looked around for new brakes but the prices make my eyes water. One exception is the Shimano MT200. I understand they are entry level but how will they compare to my 150 year old Avid brakes in terms of power? 

I like riding challenging trails and don't do long distance flat gravel roads. Will this be too much for the MT200 brakes?

Just buy them already. You won't look back. Nothing beats Shimano brakes for value and power. SRAM brakes are the stuff of nightmares, especially the older ones. Just be careful you don't go over the bars when you first try the new front brake ???? 

The MT200's are not Enduro style stoppers so don't expect that kind of performance, but as a basic brake, for the money are difficult to beat.

The levers are 3 finger, so not as compact and ergonomic as higher end Shimano stuff, but that feel is personal preference.

On 9/3/2021 at 11:29 AM, Alouette3 said:

A note on the Elixir "wheel" adjustment, you can just use the Allen key head that is behind the lever instead of using that useless plastic wheel.

That worked perfectly. Turning it with the Allen key got it unstuck and now it works perfectly. 

The Elixr lever now works incredibly well after I bled it 50 times. The Juicy lever not so much. I suspect it might be past the point of being serviced. I struggled to bleed it properly and now it works exactly as it did before the bleed. The first bit of pull does nothing and also has virtually no resistance. After that it feels a little woody but brakes well enough. If I can get my hands on another Elixr R lever that would be perfect. 

On 9/3/2021 at 11:36 AM, Alouette3 said:

The MT200's are not Enduro style stoppers so don't expect that kind of performance, but as a basic brake, for the money are difficult to beat.

The levers are 3 finger, so not as compact and ergonomic as higher end Shimano stuff, but that feel is personal preference.

Agreed. Deore would be a better bet for relatively inexpensive powerful stoppers that will outshine most SRAM offerings. I am running a set of well used 785XTs on my enduro bike and they are superb, despite their age.