Ryder Innovation win Eurobike Award for Luberetta

CharlesV

Ryder have been coming up with cool inexpensive bits like this... however I must agree, I have no issues with my squirt application.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If the promo pic is accurate, its a bad idea. There isn't enough lube on those rollers to get in underneath between the roller and pin. Which is really where the lube is needed. Lube on the outside of a roller is utterly pointless.

1151589021_Lifestyle-2-BlueLube.jpg.5d1c

1 hour ago, TNT1 said:

Am I missing something? My lube (white lightning or thquirt) comes in a wee squeeze bottle with a pointy nozzle and I drop a single drop of lube on each roller already. What does this device bring to the party?

I'm with you 100% on this. With Squirt I can see how much I'm applying and easily regulate the amount. Adding unnecessary complexity to a really simple process. Wonder if it is prone to blocking long term?  90% of Ryder branded items I've bought over the years have turned out problematic.

Its got these two cool little ears that fit either side of the chain so that when applying lube your hand doesn't wonder all of the place lubing he floor, the dog and or your sandwich,  The chain just runs smoothly under the applicator. The applicator also rubber scrappers that removes excess wax lube from the side that minimises the mop up job after. Ryder has clearly understood that most of us guys can't even pee straight into the bowl so how are we gong to apply lube onto a thin chain without some help ?

Edited by DieselnDust

1 hour ago, TNT1 said:

Yeah, look, I'm not sh****ng on Ryder, I like and use several of their things, this just seems like such a random and pointless solution to a problem that doesn't exists. I mean it would be better than some muppet using a spray can of WD40, but it's not like that user would be able to get the WD40 into the luberetta anyway?

It's a confusing thing that seems unnecessary.

Thank goodness I switched to Q20. Wouldn't want to ruin my drivetrain with WD40.

On 9/3/2021 at 3:22 PM, MudLark said:

If the promo pic is accurate, its a bad idea. There isn't enough lube on those rollers to get in underneath between the roller and pin. Which is really where the lube is needed. Lube on the outside of a roller is utterly pointless.

1151589021_Lifestyle-2-BlueLube.jpg.5d1c

The as you rotate the cranks to get the chain moving the lube will flow to the sides and between the roller and endplate. It won't get more blocked up than a normal little bottle of squirt and not as blocked as the Bat and Smoove lube bottle applicators.

Edited by DieselnDust

58 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

The as you rotate the cranks to get the chain moving the lube will flow to the sides and between the roller and endplate. I won't get more locked up than a normal little bottle of squirt and not as blocked as the Bat and Smoove lube bottle applicators.

Same same as as normal lubing if done properly. I think the problem is people try to rush lubing. Just sit down and drop one decent drop on each roller. Rotate crank a few times to cycle chain right through 3 or 4 times. Leave to dry overnight. That's using the conventional stuff (eg Squirt). The Wurth spray lube is different. It is fast to put on and is designed to immediately flow where it most needed and then thickens straight off. Anyway, courses for horses. If the little gadget works for you, that's all good. For me personally it's a solution looking for a problem

4 minutes ago, Quintus said:

What a great idea. Lube always goes all over the floor! Smoove in particular gets blocked up in the narrow spout and requires a good squeeze to unblock meaning lube explodes everywhere.

i've got a 3/4 full bottle of smoove that I've just put into the cupboard and replaced with white lightning. I HATE smoove. The nozzle clogs, it gets extremely dirty and requires alot of effort to clean the drive train. 

On 9/3/2021 at 2:46 PM, TNT1 said:

Yeah, look, I'm not sh****ng on Ryder, I like and use several of their things, this just seems like such a random and pointless solution to a problem that doesn't exists. I mean it would be better than some muppet using a spray can of WD40, but it's not like that user would be able to get the WD40 into the luberetta anyway?

It's a confusing thing that seems unnecessary.

i love the muppet folded paper under chain wd40 method and best believe ill get it in the lubretta too .

On 9/3/2021 at 2:13 PM, TNT1 said:

Am I missing something? My lube (white lightning or thquirt) comes in a wee squeeze bottle with a pointy nozzle and I drop a single drop of lube on each roller already. What does this device bring to the party?

Haven’t tried one yet and I do the same as you....

BUT, I think this looks like one of those simple but brilliant “Why didn’t I think of that” ideas.

i would say it applies the drop of lube much easier and quicker than doing it the way we normally do it as per your post. The only other way to do it quicker would be to spray the chain with lube.... which just results in a mess and wasting lube

ill be looking for one of these online in Europe, hope they are available here

looks like a simple solution to an issue.i'd try it at least.

if only ryder innovation could be extended to our world tour cycling team.

2 hours ago, SwissVan said:

Haven’t tried one yet and I do the same as you....

BUT, I think this looks like one of those simple but brilliant “Why didn’t I think of that” ideas.

i would say it applies the drop of lube much easier and quicker than doing it the way we normally do it as per your post. The only other way to do it quicker would be to spray the chain with lube.... which just results in a mess and wasting lube

ill be looking for one of these online in Europe, hope they are available here

Dude its so cheap I'll send you a couple for Christmas if you like

On 9/3/2021 at 12:00 PM, DieselnDust said:

I've got a couple of them. Brilliant little device. So simple to use. 

The New Groove tool is also a lesson in simplicity. Some really nice ideas and products coming out of Ryder Innovation. Chapeau Omnico!!

Does it drop the lube in the CL of the roller or on the edge where it can move into the roller/pins where you need the lube. The marking pics show to be CL of roller.