Where do I buy lace up giro empires

Sampaj

Can I ask why?

I may be out of line, but I have the Giro lace ups for road and MTB and I choose my Boa shoes over them every time.

I went all in on lace ups and really wish I hadn't. No on the fly adjustment, in the wet the laces flop about and due to this I find I often over tighten them which is uncomfortable.

Really awesome shoes for that occasional time you get it right, but Boa's mean I get it right every ride without faffing. 

Anyway, I hope you find some in your colour and size. Mine are a bit big unfortunately or you could have them

2 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

Can I ask why?

I may be out of line, but I have the Giro lace ups for road and MTB and I choose my Boa shoes over them every time.

I went all in on lace ups and really wish I hadn't. No on the fly adjustment, in the wet the laces flop about and due to this I find I often over tighten them which is uncomfortable.

Really awesome shoes for that occasional time you get it right, but Boa's mean I get it right every ride without faffing. 

Anyway, I hope you find some in your colour and size. Mine are a bit big unfortunately or you could have them

Hi! Thank you for your time. That was invaluable info. I guess it really is for the odd coffee ride.

3 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

Can I ask why?

Don’t suppose they’re a 42?

I remember seeing a couple at Cycle lab in Fourways in the clearance section. Maybe call them.

I have a pair of VR90's and love them...but they are for narrow feet, many people sell them because their feet are too wide.

Edited by Marcv

2 hours ago, Sampaj said:

Don’t suppose they’re a 42?

Unfortunately they are a 45.. I don't thing a bit of newspaper in the front will be much good.

I still say get Boas. The Giro road lace ups are also suuuuper thin and really cold to ride with in winter, so you need to wear over booties, which negates the hipster coolness of laces anyway.

I know I'm peeing on your parade, but there is a reason Boas rule the world and laces are not even a close 2nd.

got mine at olympic but a while ago 

my go to summer shoes -comfy if they fit your feet -dont have to muck about having to adjust them on the fly if they fit and you lace them correctly when you put them on 

'in the wet the laces flop about '  no they dont if you know how to use the attached lace garage ????

24 minutes ago, bikebloke said:

got mine at olympic but a while ago 

my go to summer shoes -comfy if they fit your feet -dont have to muck about having to adjust them on the fly if they fit and you lace them correctly when you put them on 

'in the wet the laces flop about '  no they dont if you know how to use the attached lace garage ????

I know how they are supposed to work. They just don't always do what they are 'supposed to'.

There is no maybe with boas. You just click them and voila... I hate faffing and when I start riding I hate stopping until I stop stop. I forced a good few thousand km out of my MTB ones, but the road shoes I only use if I'm riding alone and it's warm or I have time to faff. There is no 'I'm just pulling over for a minute to tie my shoe lace' on a group ride. 

My experience is that while the idea of them is awesome, Boas are infinitely better as they take any sort of maybe/human error/margin for error out of the equation effortlessly.

But ja, you must have far better lace up skills than me. I would have 1 shoe slightly tighter/looser than the other on 3 out of 5 rides and the 3nm of torque difference over the foot gets more and more pronounced the longer you ride. So over a 5 hour ride it becomes annoying as heck. Boa? Click, sorted.

Maybe the user is the issue. I like things that just work and in my experience over a good few thousand km on the road and mtb these aren't as consistently awesome as adjustable shoes on the fly. I spent the money, I really tried, but in my mind they are unnecessary admin.

I'm glad you like yours. At least someone doesn't feel like they wasted money on what are fairly expensive pieces of equipment

What i loved about the lace ups is that the laces don’t break, especially in an MTB stage race. On the road the laces stay put once stored in the lace garage as mentioned above. The only lass for me is the giro shoes are narrow fit so they’re ok for 2 hrs. I’m a Lake man now and if they have a lace version I’d get laces again. Laces and Velcro don’t break. BOA dials do.

You could consider Specialized  Recon  Mixed lace up - not as cool as Giro, but still retro and bullet proof. I bought them about 4 years ago and still going strong.  I have a pair of Giro  Empire VR90 size 44.5 if anyone interested in taking them off my hands. I got the size wrong.

The Giro is very narrow and I've had the toe box on 2 pairs distort from being in the sun. The Specialized Recon was perfect. Wider fit and bulletproof.