Looking for Trike hubs

Pierre Nieuwoudt

I am about to build a delta trike similar to the Hase kettwiesel (two rear wheels, one front wheel ) for somebody who has balancing problems .
Does anyone know where I can buy rear wheel hubs for the trike (in other words hubs that connect on one side only to the bike frame )...or alternatively does anybody  know of somebody who has modified ordinary hubs (perhaps BMX hubs ) to use on a trike

Thanks in advance

On 9/4/2021 at 7:28 PM, Graham W said:

Try source lefty hubs  think they'll work a bomb 

Hi Graham -Thanks but I do not know what a lefty hub is ....

Regards 

Pierre

9 hours ago, Pierre Nieuwoudt said:

Hi Graham -Thanks but I do not know what a lefty hub is ....

Regards 

Pierre

He's talking about the Cannondale Lefty front wheel hub - it mounts onto the fork (frame) with a single allen key bolt, and it would be easily up to spec on a rear wheel mount with the right 'nut' on the frame (oops - correct nut rather). You'll find a few in the classifieds if you search for Lefty.

Only question is whether you want a rear-wheel drive arrangement, in which case you wouldn't be able to use these and I guess you'd need to have a drive-axle manufactured with free-hubs on both sides.

Edited by 100Tours

8 hours ago, FrancoisdeVille said:

Have you tried wheelchair hubs?

Thanks  ........ I have been trying to source wheelchair hubs but can only find whole wheelchairs for sale which makes the project too costly and wasteful

My other idea would be to find some track bike hubs and swap out the axle for something that will not risk bending. track bike axles are basically just threaded bar so I'm guessing you might find something of appropriate spec

8 hours ago, FrancoisdeVille said:

Have you tried wheelchair hubs?

Thanks FrancoisdeVille and 100tours. The "Lefty " sounds very promising and I will look for two. I am sure that I will be able to modify one to take an axle and freewheel while the other remains free to spin (only need a single rear drive wheel )

7 minutes ago, 100Tours said:

My other idea would be to find some track bike hubs and swap out the axle for something that will not risk bending. track bike axles are basically just threaded bar so I'm guessing you might find something of appropriate spec

Thanks ...I googled "track bikes " opens up a whole new world of possibilities 

10 minutes ago, Graham W said:

What size wheels are you planning to use I might be able to assist with a 32h 26er wheel and a 2nd hub

HI 

I am hoping to use 20 inch wheels, they are strong enough to take the sideways forces when cornering a trike