How do you justify a Cape Epic entry?

DonatelloOnPinarello

Serious question. 

I don't want to get into the merits of whether or not the epic is overpriced. It is, grossly so. Most stage races are, and the epic is the top of the crop. but it is also under normal circumstances completely oversubscribed, so there definitely is a market. 

But this week a couple of entries have popped up in the classifieds and it just got me wondering again.

So to those who actually pay for their entries, do you think it's justifiable, and why/how? 

(Full disclosure, I have done it twice, and it's a very special experience, but unless I am offered a free ride, there is no way I would do it again. Also, it's your money, spend it how you please, just interested in why the epic is still overbooked, even at upwards of R120k per team)

When you compare it even to international events, like the Transalp, which I will be doing next year for a third time with my own money, and am happy to pay for, it just gets absurd. Transalp entry, which includes all the logistics etc, race villages, catering and all that, is like R20 000.00pp if you include the basic accomdostion package. (Dorm rooms, school boarding houses etc).

We arrange our own bnb accomodation as soon as the route is announced, and shared by a group of 4, all in, with flights, accomodation and a few extra days in Lake Como or Trieste  afterwards, its still half the price of just the basic entry fee for epic.

Even the Swiss Epic, which is organized by the same company, is significantly cheaper, even though it's all luxury accomodation in Switzerland throughout the whole event.

So for the epic regulars, what keeps you going back?

For first timers, what made you choose the epic? Considering other options available?

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Love riding my mtb and love endurance sport but if I had 120k to treat me and someone else to an experience the epic would not be it. 

If however I managed to persuade my local Lbs that sponsoring mamils was a viable business strategy and I had to chip in 30k I would be in like gin. 

okes do it so that they can tell other people they did it. It's the only MTB race that anyone who is not into MTB knows anything about. So if you want to haul your massive phallus out around the braai, then the Epic is the make of forklift you need to move your equipment.

13 minutes ago, MTBeer said:

okes do it so that they can tell other people they did it. It's the only MTB race that anyone who is not into MTB knows anything about. So if you want to haul your massive phallus out around the braai, then the Epic is the make of forklift you need to move your equipment.

I also used to say that type of thing but truthfully I don't buy that for a second. The amount of focus, time and effort required to be prepared and carry out something like the epic takes it way beyond mere dick swinging. IMO.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

3 minutes ago, Duane_Bosch said:

I also used to say that type of thing but truthfully I don't buy that for a second. The amount of focus, time and effort required to be prepared and carry out something like the epic takes it way beyond mere dick swinging. 

nah its all about the Richard...it really is.

For a small proportion of the field its about the challenge, the fun of racing 8 days straight going as hard as you can till you blow and repeat the next day.

For the majority its about being a member of an exclusive club and that's it. Once some have the (controversial in other threads) medal their self perceived status is elevated to that of "real Mountainbiker"

Roadies have "Oh. Gaan jy die August ry?"
Runners have "Oh. Gaan jy die Komrits doen?"

I suppose it get's frustrating to explain to well meaning strangers that you are still a real MTBer even though you are not entered for the Epic and have never done one...

2 minutes ago, Duane_Bosch said:

I also used to say that type of thing but truthfully I don't buy that for a second. The amount of focus, time and effort required to be prepared and carry out something like the epic takes it way beyond mere dick swinging. IMO.

I think that's the circular mindset of a LOT of guys.

They use the Epic as a reason to train and often need the motivation of a 'crown jewel' to stay training.

SA has a serious 'justify culture', so the money spent on kit, time out riding, weekends away at Atta etc can be justified by the amount of training they do and need to do in order to reach the goal of Epic, which they can then use as a tangible achievement when asked why they do it.

It is also the ultimate race for the pseudo pros who get to go balls deep for a week against other pseudo pros going balls deep. That is pretty cool if that's your bag.

I'm of the opinion that as soon as one starts to justify something, be it a new guitar, bike, bike part, race entry it is immediately 200% less cool. Do it,  buy it etc because you can and just leave it alone. 

If you have to justify the cost of the epic, I assume that's shorthand for you can't really afford it?

Isn't the answer to the OP to simply work a bit harder?

Edited by TNT1

43 minutes ago, MTBeer said:

meanwhile the ladies are overhearing this phallus measuring going on and that brings about the sniggers and laughter for the gross over-estimation of said phallus. If one needs to be justified by a large forklift, one is usually overcompensating. 

9 minutes ago, TNT1 said:

If you have to justify the cost of the epic, I assume that's shorthand for you can't really afford it?

Isn't the answer to the OP to simply work a bit harder?

Hahah... **** thats me!

I most definitely cant afford it but If I had the money I would definitely do it.