How do you justify a Cape Epic entry?

DonatelloOnPinarello

20 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

I think that's the circular mindset of a LOT of guys.

They use the Epic as a reason to train and often need the motivation of a 'crown jewel' to stay training.

SA has a serious 'justify culture', so the money spent on kit, time out riding, weekends away at Atta etc can be justified by the amount of training they do and need to do in order to reach the goal of Epic, which they can then use as a tangible achievement when asked why they do it.

It is also the ultimate race for the pseudo pros who get to go balls deep for a week against other pseudo pros going balls deep. That is pretty cool if that's your bag.

I'm of the opinion that as soon as one starts to justify something, be it a new guitar, bike, bike part, race entry it is immediately 200% less cool. Do it,  buy it etc because you can and just leave it alone. 

so many innuendos in that post ????

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

meanwhile the ladies are overhearing this phallus measuring going on and that brings about the sniggers and laughter for the gross over-estimation of said phallus. If one needs to be justified by a large forklift, one is usually overcompensating. 

reminds me of a joke.

3 guys around the braai bragging about what motorbike they ride.

Honda guy, "my XYZ750 does 300km/h"

Yamaha guy, "my ABC1000 does 0 to 200 in 1 second"

The Harley Davidson guy just stood there stirring the fire with his d1ck

1 hour ago, MTBeer said:

It's the only MTB race that anyone who is not into MTB knows anything about.  

Similar to the "Argust" is to ride cycling, the difference is everyone who even knows nothing about cycling knows about the 'Argust". (Probably just because they see it as an inconvenience with road closures once a year)

Last year my dad bought himself a Toyota Quest (that's the "budget Corolla"). Great was my amusement when I noticed that the rear window winders (yes, manual wind-up windows...) were the exact same ones fitted to my Toyota Hilux year model 1988...How do they get away with this kind of thing? "Toyota".

Same applies to the Epic - the mere name enables the organizers to ask what they want and still draw a full participation. In fact, I think the price is a big part of the bragging rights... 

Edited by Karooryder

the answer is probably the same to the "why do so many people buy the SWorks model?" question

10 hours ago, DonatelloOnPinarello said:

(Full disclosure, I have done it twice, and it's a very special experience, but unless I am offered a free ride, there is no way I would do it again. Also, it's your money, spend it how you please, just interested in why the epic is still overbooked, even at upwards of R120k per team)

did you pay for your own entries, and if so were they past the ~2009-2012* time when they go hiked ~25%* each year?

(*thumbsucked, but pretty ballpark)

I suppose we can all "justify" costs if we want to, lets be honest most of us couldnt justify buying the " top of the range" bikes as 1% might reach the bikes potential

my chirp is

"How do you know who`s the helicopter owner,,,easy he tells you"

how do you know donatellonapinarello owns a pina and has done the epic  ????

Many reasons. From it being a bucket list goal through to just because. Same as how can you justify a GWagon over and normal SUV. Because you can afford it and you like what it's offering for you. 

To be honest I'd say most of the epic is now being pitched at international markets because with the exchange rates it's still a good value life goal and a tick list item that is billed as the 'Tour De France of Mountain Biking'. It is in Africa and that still holds status as a dream destination for many people, you can combine with an amazing family holiday after you bro-cation on bikes, it's a unique place to ride in a world famous race, it' exclusive and gives people the chance (illusion or not) to test themselves on the same terrain, at the same time with the pros and be part of that bubble for a while. 

A week on the indies trader all in is going for around R85,000 odd I think at the moment before flights, boards etc. 

Edited by Dirt Tracker

3 minutes ago, Karooryder said:

Last year my dad bought himself a Toyota Quest (that's the "budget Corolla"). Great was my amusement when I noticed that the rear window winders (yes, manual wind-up windows...) were the exact same ones fitted to my Toyota Hilux year model 1988...How do they get away with this kind of thing? It's a Toyota.

Easy. it was so well made in 1988. Why design moulds for a new one. lol

5 minutes ago, MTBeer said:

reminds me of a joke.

3 guys around the braai bragging about what motorbike they ride.

Honda guy, "my XYZ750 does 300km/h"

Yamaha guy, "my ABC1000 does 0 to 200 in 1 second"

The Harley Davidson guy just stood there stirring the fire with his d1ck

Yeah nah, South Park nailed harley riders;

Harley Rider Faggot Fag GIF - South Park Motorcycle - Discover & Share GIFs

4 minutes ago, sias said:

I put mine on my seat tube so the guys behind me could see it... ????

well as an Epic rider, normal mtb'ers would only be behind you when you're going uphill. Everyone knows Epic riders can't ride downhill to save their life.....

1 hour ago, bleedToWin said:

Roadies have "Oh. Gaan jy die August ry?"
Runners have "Oh. Gaan jy die Komrits doen?"

I suppose it get's frustrating to explain to well meaning strangers that you are still a real MTBer even though you are not entered for the Epic and have never done one...

Sometimes its hard to convince other well meaning MTBers you still a real MTBer even though you are not entered for the Epic and have never done one (or have no desire to do one)

Edited by YaseenEnos

Interesting observation from my friend John Loos:

Speak to someone who has done some other event, and they tell you enjoyable stories about the event they did... how they struggled with cramp, or the laughs they had, or the comradeship, etc.

Speak to someone who did the epic, and all they will tell you about is how much money they spent.  Money spent on their bike, money spent on extras for the event, money spent on extra equipment they bought.

Edited by GaryvdM