How do you justify a Cape Epic entry?

DonatelloOnPinarello

10 hours ago, DonatelloOnPinarello said:

do you think it's justifiable, and why/how? 

I ask the same question when I roll past guys on brand new Dogmas.

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On that, if you run, why do you need to be a 'real' runner? If you ride bikes, why do you need to be a 'real' cyclist?

I run a lot, I ride bikes a lot. I don't regard myself as a 'real' cyclist or runner. I am a passable hack at best. 

'Real' athletes are so far above me in the food chain it is scary

1 minute ago, TheoG said:

I agree with the OP 100%.  I can simply not justify R120k for a race even if its the epic.  Only way is if sponsored by at least 70%.

R120k??, but what about the cost of your Nino Schurter Edition Scott WEAPON

13 minutes ago, MORNE said:

Easy. it was so well made in 1988. Why design moulds for a new one. lol

like the green digital clock they put in all their cars for many years

5 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

On that, if you run, why do you need to be a 'real' runner? If you ride bikes, why do you need to be a 'real' cyclist?

I run a lot, I ride bikes a lot. I don't regard myself as a 'real' cyclist or runner. I am a passable hack at best. 

difference is..REAL runners are a wierd breed. you have to look like a busby wallet or that alcoholic tannie begger at the traffic light...you know the leather look. You guys have just as much kit and crap as "cyclists" haha. I move in your circles too i know...PS ill send you a selfie with Bennie this weekend haha

Edited by MORNE

13 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

the answer is probably the same to the "why do so many people buy the SWorks model?" question

did you pay for your own entries, and if so were they past the ~2009-2012* time when they go hiked ~25%* each year?

(*thumbsucked, but pretty ballpark)

Paid in 2016, was "sponsored" in 2017. I guess the S-works analogy makes sense.

13 minutes ago, DIPSLICK said:

I suppose we can all "justify" costs if we want to, lets be honest most of us couldnt justify buying the " top of the range" bikes as 1% might reach the bikes potential

my chirp is

"How do you know who`s the helicopter owner,,,easy he tells you"

how do you know donatellonapinarello owns a pina and has done the epic  ????

Touchè, I guess I walked right into that one. 

For the record I no longer own any road bikes, but if I took up road riding again, a Dogma would be the bike I aspire to.... so I guess I should stop chirping the S-works guys so much

5 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

I disagree. Anyone who rides/runs/swims/whatever for the pure love of it, is a real rider/runner/swimmer/whateverer.

2 minutes ago, MTBeer said:

I disagree. Anyone who rides/runs/swims/whatever for the pure love of it, is a real rider/runner/swimmer/whateverer.

We are definitely not competitive athletes but we are REAL for sure ... :).

Edited by TheoG

11 minutes ago, Dirt Tracker said:

Many reasons. From it being a bucket list goal through to just because. Same as how can you justify a GWagon over and normal SUV. Because you can afford it and you like what it's offering for you. 

To be honest I'd say most of the epic is now being pitched at international markets because with the exchange rates it's still a good value life goal and a tick list item that is billed as the 'Tour De France of Mountain Biking'. It is in Africa and that still holds status as a dream destination for many people, you can combine with an amazing family holiday after you bro-cation on bikes, it's a unique place to ride in a world famous race, it' exclusive and gives people the chance (illusion or not) to test themselves on the same terrain, at the same time with the pros and be part of that bubble for a while. 

2019 - 648 South africans out of 1400 starters https://www.cape-epic.com/fans/highlights/2019-results

for the corinthians, that's probably 630 out of 1350, but don't forget they charge overseas people more.

43 minutes ago, MTBeer said:

reminds me of a joke.

3 guys around the braai bragging about what motorbike they ride.

Honda guy, "my XYZ750 does 300km/h"

Yamaha guy, "my ABC1000 does 0 to 200 in 1 second"

The Harley Davidson guy just stood there stirring the fire with his d1ck

isn't this the mansplaning that lead to this thread in the first place....?

24 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

19 minutes ago, MORNE said:

difference is..REAL runners are a wierd breed. you have to look like a busby wallet or that alcoholic tannie begger at the traffic light...you know the leather look. You guys have just as much kit and crap as "cyclists" haha. I move in your circles too i know...PS ill send you a selfie with Bennie this weekend haha

I see you deliberately excluded trail runners .... surely they are "real runners"!

49 minutes ago, MTBeer said:

reminds me of a joke.

3 guys around the braai bragging about what motorbike they ride.

Honda guy, "my XYZ750 does 300km/h"

Yamaha guy, "my ABC1000 does 0 to 200 in 1 second"

The Harley Davidson guy just stood there stirring the fire with his d1ck

You probably meant 'HD rider warming his vagina by the fire' ????

7 minutes ago, MTBeer said:

I suppose my point is more why there is a need to be seen as 'real'?

I'd much rather be a hack who occasionally over performs than a 'real' anything.

34 minutes ago, MTBeer said:

well as an Epic rider, normal mtb'ers would only be behind you when you're going uphill. Everyone knows Epic riders can't ride downhill to save their life.....

cue video clips at PlumPudding

Anything in life costs money. Nothing can justify spending R60k pp for a week of pleasure (or suffering). But if you can afford it you can afford it then good for you. I'm certainly jealous, I would also love to do it, but I can extract more value from R60k than a week of cycling not to even mention the other add-on costs like nutrition and bike maintenance.