How do you justify a Cape Epic entry?

DonatelloOnPinarello

Just now, Mountain Bru said:

I'll probably only ever do the epic if I'm 100% sponsored. If I had a 120k rolling around in my wallet, there's no chance I'm spending it on a 8 day bike race in SA. Would so much rather travel or bike pack across New Zealand for a month or do the 2 weeks riding in the Swiss Alps story, and then come home and buy an amazeballs coffee machine. 

What's amazing for me about the epic in particular though is how unaware the non-cycling world is about the costs (or at least the people I know). I've had the conversation so many times with people where they ask me if I've done the epic, I say no, and then they ask why not? And then I say because I don't have a spare R150k lying around. And then people are absolutely shocked and horrified that the entry is at least R100k. 

people outside of cycling have no real understanding of costs.

when you start telling them how much things costs their eyes bulge out of their heads. Tell them an entry level bike costs 15-20k and the top stuff is over 200k and they think you're making this up.

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, ouzo said:

people outside of cycling have no real understanding of costs.

when you start telling them how much things costs their eyes bulge out of their heads. Tell them an entry level bike costs 15-20k and the top stuff is over 200k and they think you're making this up.

In fairness, have you seen what a new Merc C180 costs? ????

44 minutes ago, Dirt Tracker said:

So that is the majority already and being owned by an international company that will only be more. It's a US owned company now and part of a larger group also having worked for US companies and knowing the corporate culture the focus will be squarely on the international market. It's the only thing that matters. It's got the Hors Categorie from the UCI, it's part of the 'Epic Series Global MTB' and even when they launched the 'Africa's Untamed' tag line that was not for South Africans... it's in the western cape, not middle of Angola. Yeah it's a hell of a ride / race but that is selling to an international audience. 

My point was rather that the event is being pitched at getting more overseas riders rather than there is more overseas riders but it seems to be going that way already. 

i think that it has been like that for a good few years now - the epic site seems to be running on a server at medupi at the moment, so can't really confirm.

my feeling is that kevin really wanted a pro type event with 200 pros doing it alone, and only if that business model didn't work then maybe some punters a day behind actually paying for it. Turning it into the iron man model seemed to be the next best alternative.

the reality is that if you shaft the SA market before getting the international buy in, the thing folds.

2 hours ago, GaryvdM said:

Interesting observation from my friend John Loos:

Speak to someone who has done some other event, and they tell you enjoyable stories about the event they did... how they struggled with cramp, or the laughs they had, or the comradeship, etc.

Speak to someone who did the epic, and all they will tell you about is how much money they spent.  Money spent on their bike, money spent on extras for the event, money spent on extra equipment they bought.

I'll them a secret, there really is no need to spend the money on most of the stuff. Most people I've spoken to about Epic have spoken plenty about their experience and not so much the costs. 

30 minutes ago, stefmeister said:

Only in their imagination. Everyone else thinks they're assholes.

...and brakpan "ladies" don't count.

There's an event called Morzine Harley Days in Morz every 2nd year. Imagine if you will. 15000 French attention seeking harley riders. All together in the same place.

And the only "ladies" hanging about the Harley chaps are as look as fresh as their bike saddles.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

29 minutes ago, stefmeister said:

Only in their imagination. Everyone else thinks they're assholes.

...and brakpan "ladies" don't count.

Whats the matter with Brakpan ladies now?

2 minutes ago, Danger Dassie said:

I'll them a secret, there really is no need to spend the money on most of the stuff. Most people I've spoken to about Epic have spoken plenty about their experience and not so much the costs. 

are we talking about epic or ironman here...or both?

1 hour ago, ouzo said:

its not you they are after, its that vibrating device between your legs

true, insta proves they love cell phones

1 hour ago, Dirt Tracker said:

So that is the majority already and being owned by an international company that will only be more. It's a US owned company now and part of a larger group also having worked for US companies and knowing the corporate culture the focus will be squarely on the international market. It's the only thing that matters. It's got the Hors Categorie from the UCI, it's part of the 'Epic Series Global MTB' and even when they launched the 'Africa's Untamed' tag line that was not for South Africans... it's in the western cape, not middle of Angola. Yeah it's a hell of a ride / race but that is selling to an international audience. 

My point was rather that the event is being pitched at getting more overseas riders rather than there is more overseas riders but it seems to be going that way already. 

Chinese company, Wanda Sports. Which isn't a bad thing, sets a lot of job security for those employed by the event and with the pandemic the ownership very likely saved jobs thanks to having the financial backing. This was always going to be for an international audience, which includes South Africans. Any event that goes international is going to be limiting to many due to both the coast and commitment required, look at the Dakar Rally. 

At least here in SA we have more events than the world combined to choose from. Even with the ever swirling apocalypse. 

13 hours ago, DonatelloOnPinarello said:

Serious question. 

I don't want to get into the merits of whether or not the epic is overpriced. It is, grossly so. Most stage races are, and the epic is the top of the crop. but it is also under normal circumstances completely oversubscribed, so there definitely is a market. 

But this week a couple of entries have popped up in the classifieds and it just got me wondering again.

So to those who actually pay for their entries, do you think it's justifiable, and why/how? 

(Full disclosure, I have done it twice, and it's a very special experience, but unless I am offered a free ride, there is no way I would do it again. Also, it's your money, spend it how you please, just interested in why the epic is still overbooked, even at upwards of R120k per team)

When you compare it even to international events, like the Transalp, which I will be doing next year for a third time with my own money, and am happy to pay for, it just gets absurd. Transalp entry, which includes all the logistics etc, race villages, catering and all that, is like R20 000.00pp if you include the basic accomdostion package. (Dorm rooms, school boarding houses etc).

We arrange our own bnb accomodation as soon as the route is announced, and shared by a group of 4, all in, with flights, accomodation and a few extra days in Lake Como or Trieste  afterwards, its still half the price of just the basic entry fee for epic.

Even the Swiss Epic, which is organized by the same company, is significantly cheaper, even though it's all luxury accomodation in Switzerland throughout the whole event.

So for the epic regulars, what keeps you going back?

For first timers, what made you choose the epic? Considering other options available?

+1 on the TransAlp recommendation for anyone looking for similar or harder physical challenges, not only is it way cheaper but also a completely different experience, most South Africans can ride 80% of the Epic for R50/day and really isn't anything that new to them. TransAlps takes you through bits of Germany/Austria/Italy we would never normally get to on our own, on climbs/downhills you did not believe could last that long.

three times though....hmmm ????

10 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

are we talking about epic or ironman here...or both?

It's right there in my post ;) ..... don't come with tri stuff now, bad enough that Harleys have been brought into the topic. 

53 minutes ago, Wannabe said:

I'll rather save for a bit and do the J2C again. I.M.O a much better experience (not as if I did the Epic before, going on what friends says that has done both) and as I'm not "racing" it is a much more relaxed experience. It is also longer KM and day's riding wize, so you get more bang for your buck.

I'm considering doing the Munga next December to completely maximize the "bang for your buck" approach. ????

11 minutes ago, Mountain Bru said:

I'm considering doing the Munga next December to completely maximize the "bang for your buck" approach. ????

munga is a like R25k. and you get some really nice waterpoints but that's it.. if you're trying to avoid the hype and dick swinging then you're barking up the wrong street there.

(freedom circuit is probably the best value proposition in my mind currently - R6k for a 700km course that is pun intendedly epic https://www.freedomcircuit.com/event-info)

4 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

munga is a like R25k. and you get some really nice waterpoints but that's it.. if you're trying to avoid the hype and dick swinging then you're barking up the wrong street there.

(freedom circuit is probably the best value proposition in my mind currently - R6k for a 700km course that is pun intendedly epic https://www.freedomcircuit.com/event-info)

In a joust between someone that's done the epic, and someone that's done the munga, who gets hit first?