How do you justify a Cape Epic entry?

DonatelloOnPinarello

56 minutes ago, Underachiever said:

I've not read all the replies & banter.  Will do so later.

How do you justify this. 

Simple, the same way you justify a Ferrari..... Audemars...R250k Spez or similar.... R7k coffee grinder...., 7 star hotel stay.... Super Yacht...... Penthouse apartment in Monaco.... I can go on and on...

Emotion, and lotsa cash!!!!

so basically NOT for the underachievers ....

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, MORNE said:

you need to remember to TELL people that you rode the epic in the post though...even though it might be blatantly obvious. Those are the rules.

Unlike the W2W crew. They don't tell you, nothing so crass. They just wear the W2W jersey when on the on the dirt bike, the spare jersey on the road bike, the tee to the braai, the soft-shell all winter, the buff when running, the spare tee to the do the shopping, the sock to pick up the kids from schoo, the bag to the gym... ????

2 minutes ago, Dirt Tracker said:

Unlike the W2W crew. They don't tell you, nothing so crass. They just wear the W2W jersey when on the on the dirt bike, the spare jersey on the road bike, the tee to the braai, the soft-shell all winter, the buff when running, the spare tee to the do the shopping, the sock to pick up the kids from schoo, the bag to the gym... ????

and any of the above when shopping for cars. I've seen them all.

21 minutes ago, MORNE said:

fun you should bring this up...interesting parallels between the world wars and the dawn of motorsport as we know it back then. They walk hand in hand. For all intents and purposes modern motorsports are the new 'wars' though.

There was an interesting article last year in the height of Covid lockdown where the UK government approached the formula 1 teams  to help design and develop ventilators due to their rapid prototyping capabilities. Similar things happen in the aerospace industry. Nothing even remotely comes close aerodynamically to the things they get up to on single seater race cars...so they borrow from them alot. One example from the top of my head is NASA used materials developed by Mclaren on the front of the Space shuttle so it wouldn't burn up on re-entry lol. 

anyway...i digress.

EPIC sucks btw????

Eeeeer no, the Space Shittle was developed before mcLaren even knew about the existence of carbon reinforced carbon (what the nose cone is made from) or even carbon fibre. That came in 1981 when Neil Oatley called a mate who worked at Hercules composites. The MP4/2 was the result. At that point aerospace is still the cutting edge. Even today the motorsport industry and aerospace aerodynamics has diverged quite significantly since long aspect ratio wings are only applied in things that fly. Motor Sport uses short aspect ratio wings that are high drag so they come up with some innovative ways to reintroduce efficiency to the wings. Wing profiles that would never be considered for a flying machine is a F1 speciality 

2 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

Eeeeer no, the Space Shittle was developed before mcLaren even knew about the existence of carbon reinforced carbon (what the nose cone is made from) or even carbon fibre. That came in 1981 when Neil Oatley called a mate who worked at Hercules composites. The MP4/2 was the result. At that point aerospace is still the cutting edge. Even today the motorsport industry and aerospace aerodynamics has diverged quite significantly since long aspect ratio wings are only applied in things that fly. Motor Sport uses short aspect ratio wings that are high drag so they come up with some innovative ways to reintroduce efficiency to the wings. Wing profiles that would never be considered for a flying machine is a F1 speciality 

well yes, the wings are used for different things in aerospace and cars, the one wants to keep their stuff on the ground the other wants to keep their stuff off the ground :)

6 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

not specifically the CF nosecone or substructures. I recall reading an article that they later used a material developed by mclaren in the thermal nose tiles. Mclaren was famous for pushing the boundaries with exotic material in the engine bays in the 90 - early 20s before it got blanket banned to reduce costs.

Edited by MORNE

4 minutes ago, Mountain Bru said:

Was that intentional?

Yes. It’s got the worst track record of any flying object other than UFOs

Maybe the DC10 is worse

Edited by DieselnDust

4 minutes ago, babse said:

cant wait for the 17th October ????

Team name 

have you practised plum pudding 

#dontembaressushey

18 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

Yes. It’s got the worst track record of any flying object other than UFOs

Maybe the DC10 is worse

What about all the "flying objects" that never made it out of prototype stage?

XB-70 Valkyrie comes to mind. Only 2 built, both had serious in flight incidents with 1 crashing and killing all aboard. 50% f**ked rate.

Edit: I see the crash only killed 2 of 3 crew members.

Edited by Jehosefat

1 hour ago, MORNE said:

you are letting your dislike of tuned vw golfs revving away in your street cloud your judgment.

I forgive you. you know not what you say haha.

Motorsport is more important than you'd care to admit. the mere fact that it's a playground for engineers to test new ideas and push the boundaries of what is possible justifies it. Everything you use everyday has benefitted from it in some way or another. Materials, efficiency, logistics...everything.

I'm one of those people who is gobsmacked that car companies build Family cars and People carriers that can exceed the speed limit. I hate driving, I hate loud noises, I think all cars that don't just get you from A to B are absolutely stupid and I am not impressed by how quickly things go.

I think motor sport is absolutely stupid, I think space travel is even more futile and seeing Bezos and That other idiot have a space race was probably one of the most pointless, wasteful things I have ever had to listen to people get excited about.

Nothing you say about it will change my mind. I raced cars, I rode motorbikes, I drove a diesel oil dispenser.... It's 100% unnecessary.

I am big enough to say 'I was wrong, these things shouldn't exist in todays environment and like slavery and gender assumption should be put out to pasture with all the other popular past times and triviality of a bygone era'.....