How do you justify a Cape Epic entry?

DonatelloOnPinarello

27 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

Also ex Denel/Armscor.

Small world, possible we've came across each other at some point. Did you ever work with some of the flight and weapons test guys? Wes Lindenberg, Blokkies Joubert, Mike Weingartz et al ? 

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, MORNE said:

I had a friend at school who’s dad worked for denel designing weapons back then.  He always had the best holiday stories haha. He would accompany his dad on tests in the desert if they coincided with school holidays. Literally to blow chit up. Needless to say…when grade 11 “bring a kid to work” day came along…we all went to his dad’s office haha. All the ooms would show us the cool things they were up to. 

was this at Somchem, Kranskop or Swartklip? or up in Pretoria?

Just now, Danger Dassie said:

Small world, possible we've came across each other at some point. Did you ever work with some of the flight and weapons test guys? Wes Lindenberg, Blokkies Joubert, Mike Weingartz et al ? 

The names are familiar but I was last there in 99 so memory of people I didn't interact with day to day is fuzzy.

I did conduct some trials work at OTB with Kentron and Aviation and some work at WaterKloof

11 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

The names are familiar but I was last there in 99 so memory of people I didn't interact with day to day is fuzzy.

I did conduct some trials work at OTB with Kentron and Aviation and some work at WaterKloof

Little bit before my time then, I arrived late 90's around then and left mid 2000s.  Was predominately at Aviation TAS in Kempton. 

1 hour ago, MORNE said:

but you still live in a brick and mortar house? or own how many again? ☺️ (assumption from some of your posts)

You are usually one of the first to point out to us all that it is cool that 300k bicycles exist...yet it cant be applied to other things like cars?    

the construction industry accounts for 40% of the worlds co2 emmisions. My point is, that kind of blanket statement is a slippeery slope. We cant have our cake and eat it. 

PS: CYCLING IS 100% unnecessary. But we like building pointless things that make getting from point A to point B more more efficient and eventually more fun lol

Cycling is fairly unnecessary. People use it to get to work, it creates good brain chemicals, it is an awesome, not intrusive way to explore, exercise and be healthy.

Competing on bicycles is unnecessary. Much like cars are necessary, competing in them is not.

Sport is rad... The obsessive nature of competing is not. 

There is a big difference between cars and unnecessary cars. I've also never said it's rad 300k bicycles exist, just that COMPLAINING or being surprised they exist is futile.

Houses, again, necessary. A large part of the construction industry is not housing. 

It's an unpopular opinion, but professional sport, including motorsport, is stupid. We have created this massive false economy around it. Some Egyption is demanding 500k pounds a week to kick a ball. That's a lot of Epic entries... In a week. I reckon I know some people who are as good at their jobs in their respective international field who earn that in 5 years.

Your stats are incomplete and like I said before, nothing will change my mind about it. 

Progress hasn't actually done the world a whole lot of good tbh. Things are EASIER, but not necessarily better

Edited by Jewbacca

50 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

Cycling is fairly unnecessary. People use it to get to work, it creates good brain chemicals, it is an awesome, not intrusive way to explore, exercise and be healthy.

Competing on bicycles is unnecessary. Much like cars are necessary, competing in them is not.

There is a big difference between cars and unnecessary cars. I've also never said it's rad 300k bicycles exist, just that COMPLAINING or being surprised they exist is futile.

Houses, again, necessary. A large part of the construction industry is not housing. 

It's an unpopular opinion, but professional sport, including motorsport, is stupid. We have created this massive false economy around it. Some Egyption is demanding 500k pounds a week to kick a ball. That's a lot of Epic entries... In a week. I reckon I know some people who are as good at their jobs in their respective international field who earn that in 5 years.

Your stats are incomplete and like I said before, nothing will change my mind about it. 

Progress hasn't actually done the world a whole lot of good tbh. Things are EASIER, but not necessarily better

Dont want to drag this on any further. We’ll agree to disagree and no hard feelings, i still like you????

Yes sure. All i meant to say was you cant complain about how crap  something is because it being stupid in your opinion and then be a hypocrite and still draw the benifits of said crap thing everyday you turn on you computer, start your car, etc etc etc. Youd quite literally have to go live in a grass hut off the grid somewhere in animal skin…but then you’ll need a tool one day and make one..and the cycle starts again.

My list is not exhaustive  because id literally have to list everything you touch in a day. Even a bicycle.

I maintain, My initial argument was about the benefits of having something like motorsport as a think tank for ideas and concepts. Thats why manufacturers do it…for R&D, not to make lewis hamilton more famous.

Yes, i can agree that racing around in circles can be considered stupid, if you look at it in isolation. But doing something creates a need to be better at it, beat the competition. Beating the compition means getting creative with HOW you go about racing in circles…being more efficient, lighter, faster, develop better battery tech etc etc etc.

As a example, mercedes’ firmula 1 engine is considered the most efficient internal conbustion engine ever created. They are more than 50% thermally efficient. You can google why that's such a feat and why it matters. Nothing on the road even comes close to it. But that would never have been achieved without competition. And that eventually filters down into the compact family hatch you start in your garage in the morning, the battery that gets put into your cellphone and laptop.

thats also just one example. It can be applied to absolutely anything. So to make this pist relevant to this thread…bicycles developed specifically because of stupid races like the EPIC. There are a few aren't there..one even shares the name.

Anyway. You are allowed to feel the way you do i guess, but thanks for the ‘cancel’ regardless????

Edited by MORNE

3 hours ago, Mountain Bru said:

One of these is not like the other......

Not because of the small price difference between a grinder and yacht, but because R7k for a grinder isn't even a high end one https://capecoffeebeans.co.za/collections/coffee-grinders

If you're gonna insult coffee lovers, at least get your facts straight ????

Ha, ha, ha.  Love my coffee, but after following the coffee thread, I see the coffee club is even worse than the Velominati or the wine lovers (which I belong to too).

The principle is the same though - spending money on nice stuff that one cannot justify through logic (not even using marginal gains logic).  My Swatch is just as functional as my Aquaracer as functional as that Seamaster I have my eye on!!!

Edited by Underachiever
spelling

1 hour ago, Jewbacca said:

This may depend on how you feel about unnecessary things like happiness and self-actualisation. Would we all still get out of bed and make all the necessary things if we couldn't sometimes go and blow the paycheck on unnecessary stuff just for the hell of it.

2 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

Why did they have an Over The Bars section ........... were they testing safety equipment or something?

3 hours ago, Danger Dassie said:

Little bit before my time then, I arrived late 90's around then and left mid 2000s.  Was predominately at Aviation TAS in Kempton. 

i was at Somchem, in the whoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooosh Booom Division On both the whoooosh and the boom sides

3 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

I like this line of thinking.