• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, MTBeer said:

How do you come to that conclusion?

I mean the bit about fuelled by the Epic

Cause and effect and  having been participatory in the set up of AMA and trail advocacy during that era. Tygerberg MTB club was formed because guys who rode the epic wanted to create a trail network that would allow riders to be able to train for it in safety. The saying build it and they will come.

Land Owners got an idea of what the event could bring to them in terms of exposure and an alternative revenue stream. AMA was also central to this. Trails got built, riders used more trails to train for "epic" and other landowners didn't want to be left out in the cold so more jumped on the band wagon.

Would this have happened if the epic didn't create a pathway for mtb to slip out of the shadows of cycling and into the limelight?

The growth in MTB closely approximates the increasing popularity of the Epic. The biggest growth spurt was from 2009 through to 2015, immediately after the subprime bubble burst. so its was not so much an economic driver but potentially due to land owners wanting to supplement their revenue  streams with eco tourism and MTB was at the forefront.

Other Stage races sprang up and positioned themselves as training events for the Cape Epic. Hence they've mostly adopted the same format.

So picking up the growth of MTB sales

aligned to the inaugural Cape Epic and more closely to the 2005 event

the addition of trails from this point, 

the formalisation of trail advocacy

and the construction of more trails all picks up from this point around the 2005 to 2008 window.

Its difficult to separate MTB in the Western Cape from the cape epic just as its difficult to separate road racing from the Argust.

4 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

to be honest its not too hard to get blocked by the Epic...They're pretty intolerant of negative comments on their social media. Only happy smiley faces allowed

I have read on the hub previously (not confirmed) this is the hub after all, that normally unhappy faces have been met by threats of litigation,,,,,, thats not confirmed 

1 hour ago, MORNE said:

Not that it matters but in your haste to try and be right, you are misinterpreting your google pulled graphic lol. ALOT of those exist to fuel other industries. its rather a cumulative number of all those. Steel, energy, chemicals, manufacturing, transport, energy use, waste emissions etc etc are all part of the sum. You have to look at it that way.

https://environmentjournal.online/articles/emissions-from-the-construction-industry-reach-highest-levels/

https://architecture2030.org/why-the-building-sector/

Not that it matters, but let's respond anyway. 

I could go an tally up the cumulutive industries like you said, and thumbsuck how much each uses for construction and it won't come close to 40%. Rather let's use your graphic then shall we?

image.png.96ae2034c0431c05c08eeb08a753d760.png

Looks like the construction industry uses 11%, and not the 40% you were quoting.

21 hours ago, MORNE said:

the construction industry accounts for 40% of the worlds co2 emmisions. 

I know, you're now wondering how you got this so wrong?

Uh mean obviously the energy required to run a building has didly squat to do with that used to build it. 

in your haste to try and be right, you are misinterpreting your google pulled graphic misleading headline lol.

1 hour ago, DieselnDust said:

to be honest its not too hard to get blocked by the Epic...They're pretty intolerant of negative comments on their social media. Only happy smiley faces allowed

I think it was when they kept shortening stages, dropping days etc.

Then they kept banging on about the hashtag 8DAYSOFEPIC or 8 days of courage and I kept correcting them to 6.5 days of courage etc.

11 minutes ago, Pure Savage said:

Then they kept banging on about the hashtag 8DAYSOFEPIC or 8 days of courage and I kept correcting them to 6.5 days of courage etc.

How could you let facts stand in the way of good marketing?!

13 minutes ago, Pure Savage said:

I got blocked on IG by Sean Sakho for being childish like that too....

Posted a picture of himself riding up Chappies captioned 'Just a 20 minute ride from the Sothern tip of Africa' so I asked him if he had been riding a Concorde as it's about the only passenger anything that can cover 230km from Cape Agulhas to Chappies in 20 minutes..... So childish but it still makes me giggle

Doesn't one of your mates now run the Epic Marketing Campaign? I mean, I KNOW he rides with some savages from time to time

9 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

I got blocked on IG by Sean Sakho for being childish like that too....

Posted a picture of himself riding up Chappies captioned 'Just a 20 minute ride from the Sothern tip of Africa' so I asked him if he had been riding a Concorde as it's about the only passenger anything that can cover 230km from Cape Agulhas to Chappies in 20 minutes..... So childish but it still makes me giggle

Doesn't one of your mates now run the Epic Marketing Campaign? I mean, I KNOW he rides with some savages from time to time

Some okes are obviously not banting or dont like banter.

Sean is a great though, the only person on Instagram to have 9 accounts for the same thing.

I asked sako if I could join his lone wolf club. Apparently in order to be eligible you need to 

• ride with a photographer 
  • have a public account 
  • have more than 5000 followers 

So I asked him where the lone wolf fits in because lone wolves hunt alone , using stealth and definitely don’t have followers…

blocked 

Edited by DieselnDust

no nono the bargain is in the fine print.....you get an electro stimulator.....hmmmmmmmmm..............

Edited by DieselnDust

15 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

I asked sako if I could join his lone wolf club. Apparently in order to be eligible you need to 

• ride with a photographer 
  • have a public account 
  • have more than 5000 followers 

So I asked him where the lone wolf fits in because lone wolves hunt alone , using stealth and definitely don’t have followers…

blocked 

wow that insta page is quite a ride! now i know where mr photoshop selfies gets his inspiration

https://www.instagram.com/p/CJ8s55MlQJR/

gets an Oakley tattoo after a wipeout and thanks the helmet

34 weeks later

new helmet sponsor!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CTFMyZ5oKdA/