How do you justify a Cape Epic entry?

DonatelloOnPinarello

14 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Different strokes for different folks ....

Also know some athletes that do Trans Baviaans and similar races ... regulary doing 100 to 200 km rides in preparation.  And they have zero interest in the Argus .... 

Exactly, Argus is just another 100 km race / funride

Albeit it very well advertised and organized one

Been cycling since 19voetsek and never bothered, the crowds put me off 

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, J Wakefield said:

When people jump to different brands all the time to me, shows someone’s loyalty. 

Tattoos and artwork for me is a personal thing and not a way for a free head unit. 

Agreed. I'm not into tats at all but admire people who chose to express themselves that way when its a projection of the inner self and tells their story.

When your story goes from shimano 11speed to chapter 2 then I reckon there's a few chapters missing in that book. it has nothing to do with projection of your inner self but rather of the inner wallet

Edited by DieselnDust

17 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

That is AWARD WINNING journalism I will have you know......... 

Haha... jokes aside though, Aaron has won some awards. I’ve worked with him from time to time and he’s both exceptionally professional and helpful. That’s become a rarity in general sometimes these days.

The question is why do you have to justify it?

If you have the cash and want the experience buy a ticket.

If you want a better experience at half the price ride the Joberg2C ????

Supply and demand dictate the price. If you think it is worth it buy it - if not don't. This doesn't have to become some weird them versus us thing.

5 minutes ago, Eldron said:

Supply and demand dictate the price. If you think it is worth it buy it - if not don't. This doesn't have to become some weird them versus us thing.

No El don’t be so….

how else do we squeeze 17 page threads out of a simple choice….?

10 minutes ago, Eldron said:

IF you don't want the experience but have the cash ---- buy me a ticket!!!

19 minutes ago, Eldron said:

is this you offering to sponsor a local team, Team Citec-Ascender-S? ????

15 minutes ago, Eldron said:

I have done both and really enjoyed it .I cannot ride Epic for the fee of JB2C ,so i have to pay the other fee to do the other event .Simple really .I rode JB2C in 2013 .I think i paid R14000 for a solo entry .I still have the same bike and great memories and some lekke pics 

4 minutes ago, karma said:

is this you offering to sponsor a local team, Team Citec-Ascender-S? ????

Sure why not? Us Europeans have to help you poor poor Africans out wherever possible....

Oddly enough tons of Danes have done the Epic - I even received a signed leaders jersey from a customer for the shop's birthdayversary! Small world huh?

epic jerseys (2).jpg

I guess it doesn't really matter what people are prepared to pay and you can argue the knock on effects - promotion of MTB, tourism, new trails and so on, but how about the other side effects - Other MTB events getting in on the act and prices going up all over? An expensive event makes bikes look cheaper, so make the bikes more expensive, because people are silly enough to pay for the best. Its a slippery slope I tell ya ???? 

If you need to justify the entry cost then it probably means that you cant see the value

And if you cant see the value it's probably because you're not part of their target audience anyway

To me its a bucket list race, will do it for my 40th next year

Can I afford it, no

Did I create a thread on bikehub moaning about it, also no

9 minutes ago, Headshot said:

I guess it doesn't really matter what people are prepared to pay and you can argue the knock on effects - promotion of MTB, tourism, new trails and so on, but how about the other side effects - Other MTB events getting in on the act and prices going up all over? An expensive event makes bikes look cheaper, so make the bikes more expensive, because people are silly enough to pay for the best. Its a slippery slope I tell ya ???? 

Thats the free market for ya. Gouge the crap out of it till the bubble bursts, move on and leave the die hards to pick up the pieces.

3 minutes ago, Simba the Lion said:

If you need to justify the entry cost then it probably means that you cant see the value

And if you cant see the value it's probably because you're not part of their target audience anyway

Can I afford it, no

Most mountain bikers would love to do it unless you mean by target market, "company execs who recently gave up golf for cycling", then of course its not aimed at most of the commentators on this thread. The Epic of today is very far removed from what it started out as. 

1 hour ago, Headshot said:

Most mountain bikers would love to do it unless you mean by target market, "company execs who recently gave up golf for cycling", then of course its not aimed at most of the commentators on this thread. The Epic of today is very far removed from what it started out as. 

By "target market" I am referring to local mountain bikers that can afford to partake as well as international riders.

Plenty guys out there paid their own way or saved up over a period of time for their entry.

You don't see them whining about it here

The short of it, they can charge what they want and couldnt be less bothered about a few trolls on bikehub that can't afford to enter anyway

1 hour ago, Simba the Lion said:

Can I afford it, no

Your first post

Welcome

But you too are moaning about people moaning about it too.

5 minutes ago, Simba the Lion said:

By "target market" I am referring to local mountain bikers that can afford to partake as well as international riders.

Plenty guys out there paid their own way or saved up over a period of time for their entry.

You don't see them whining about it here

The short of it, they can charge what they want and couldnt be less bothered about a few trolls on bikehub that can't afford to enter anyway

You missed some of the previous epic threads where riders were whining about it here. 

Basics like only getting one bottle of water in the tent when CT was going through it's drought as a very small example.

Irony of your last sentence is that I know some of the riders posting here that have done the Epic before, and others that certainly can afford to do the ride.

Of the posters are riders that also did the Epic before it became "epic" .... if you get what I am saying.

Keep Roaring Simba, keep roaring, we hear you.

Roaring Lions GIFs - 44 Animated Images of Growling Lions