Local Merino manufacturers

DonatelloOnPinarello

I see the appeal as a base layer cos I believe it has a great warmth to weight ratio (not sure though), but after that I'm not sure what the hype is about. Has anyone compared it to a proper cycling base layer though (like something from Assos)?

I can fully understand that merino is better than cotton for technical wear. Cotton is rubbish for anything that involves sweating or getting wet cos the pockets in the fabric fill up with water - 100% agree. But if it's just a casual T-Shirt for R1000, then I guess those aren't important factors, and when you could have 5 normal T-Shirts, the fact that it doesn't pong after three days is kind of negated by the fact that you could just buy 5 different shirts for the same price and wear them for 5 days with zero pong. So I don't understand the appeal of merino for casual wear (Maybe for super lightweight travelling it's a win to just have 1 shirt with you and wear it everyday) 

As a substitute for normal quick dry running shirts, I'm not sure either. Would you go for a jog in a merino shirt rather than a quick dry shirt? Why? Probably gonna wash it after each run, so the non-smelliness isn't a factor. And it's 5 times more expensive? 

I'm definitely in the market for a merino base layer top and bottom though, mostly for hiking. I always figured that if I see anything from Ice Breaker on sale, I'd pull the trigger immediately

(Was looking at these shirts for reference: https://coremerino.com/merino-wool/polo-shirt-bundle-men/ , https://coremerino.com/merino-wool/short-sleeve-crew-t-shirt-men/)

After wondering the same thing I got a load of core stuff in a sale as it was about 60% off and was quite sceptical to pay full price. After having kit for a while now I can say it's 110% worth it. One thing to look out for is the % of Merino in the mix of the fabric. I bought some Fjern Merino tops from the UK and the mix is under 55% actual Merino and that makes a big difference in the longevity and quality of the item. 

2 hours ago, Mountain Bru said:

Is mohair similar to merino? I figured they were completely different (apart from both being wool based)

A bit, it's pretty warm and durable but thicker and heavier than merino. 

31 minutes ago, Baracuda said:

Quite different. One grows on a goat, the other on a sheep.

is that the technical term? 'To grow on'. I'm not sure I've ever thought about it but is is 'grows on'  / 'grows from' or, realistically, 'grows out of' but the last one seems a bit creepy. 

????

Edited by Dirt Tracker

I have Merino base layers bought from Decathlon many years ago . I cycle and hike with them , always . I find that they wick fantastic and thus keep me dry and warm or cool . I use merino socks, buff and beanie as well . All works great and keeps me warm or cool . Cotton is rotten !!!

16 hours ago, Dirt Tracker said:

is that the technical term? 'To grow on'. I'm not sure I've ever thought about it but is is 'grows on'  / 'grows from' or, realistically, 'grows out of' but the last one seems a bit creepy. 

????

Hair grows on me without me knowing about it or with my consensus. I doubt the sheep is consciously cultivating it.