Merlin Cycles

Elvis

I am looking at buying some stuff from Merlin Cycles in the UK.  Basically a GRX groupset and Merlin frame.  My question is:  How much import dutys will I pay?  It gets shipped with DHL.  Hava anyone ordered from them?

Merlin cycles.png

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, Elvis said:

I am looking at buying some stuff from Merlin Cycles in the UK.  Basically a GRX groupset and Merlin frame.  My question is:  How much import dutys will I pay?  It gets shipped with DHL.  Hava anyone ordered from them?

Merlin cycles.png

There are so many threads answering this question.

ad roughly 25% (this will be worst case) to the price you pay excluding shipping. This includes 15% vat and the admin fees you'll pay DHL.  Thats what it will be close to landed.

I've ordered from Merlin plenty of times. They use DHL express, play your part and answer the phone when DHL calls you and pay the duties asap. You'll have your stuff in 3 days at your door. 

if you dont have an import license, make sure total value is under R50k and that this is not the 4th or more time you bring something in using your ID number this calendar year...although this is not as clearcut always. (but i wouldn't take a chance when I have that amount of money in an order) Otherwise SARS might take notice and fine you.  

Other than your homework... no issues at all ordering from them. 

5 minutes ago, warick_wrx said:

On bicycle components one is normally liable for VAT at 15% no import duties 

yes, but it's never just 15%. you always pay admin fees to the courier you use. thats basically the fee you pay them to go stand in line at customs and clear your crap on your behalf. The formula is a bit more involved but it comes close to 25% including 15% VAT as mentioned above. It is never more than that. So when I shop across the borders...I do the math like that so i'm never in for a surprise.  

Edited by MORNE

PS OP. I did the same earlier the year. You'll land the GRX groupset here all in for about R5000 less than what they go for locally. ±R20k vs R25k

Edited by MORNE

Merlin is great, did a purchase a month or 2 ago.

As long as its just bike parts, wheels, tubes, tyres, groupset etc its just supposed to be 15% and R150 admin fee to DHL. They once threw in a cliffbar bar thingy as a gift and this messed up my duties amount. As long as there is no clothes/helmet/gloves/shoes you're good to go at 15%

Lekker shopping!

No issues with Merlin, if the price is right relative to local.

Take advantage while you still can on Shimano - most other stores have stopped shipping this and some other brands to SA.

Here are my last few orders from Merlin:

R1480 tax (R6430 rand value order - only bike parts ) thats roughly 23% total. 

R800 tax (R3320 Rand value order - only bike parts) roughly 24% total

R1130 tax (R4720 Rand value order - only bike parts ) roughly 24% total. 

R3744 tax (R16250 Rand value order - only bike parts) roughly 23%

use it, dont use it.  

dhl.jpg

Edited by MORNE

7 minutes ago, MORNE said:

Here are my last few orders from Merlin:

R1480 tax (R6430 rand value order - only bike parts ) thats roughly 23% total. 

R800 tax (R3320 Rand value order - only bike parts) roughly 24% total

R1130 tax (R4720 Rand value order - only bike parts ) roughly 24% total. 

R3744 tax (R16250 Rand value order - only bike parts) roughly 23%

use it, dont use it.  

Would they ship Di2 components...I'm in need of deraileurs and considering international purchase as locally I cant find any

12 minutes ago, Darryllk said:

Would they ship Di2 components...I'm in need of deraileurs and considering international purchase as locally I cant find any

they dont have any Geo blocking at this stage still. One of the few left. 

Edited by MORNE

1 hour ago, MORNE said:

if you dont have an import license, make sure total value is under R50k and that this is not the 4th or more time you bring something in using your ID number this calendar year...

Morne, are you able to advise about the admissibility of importing 50 identical items conforming to those limitations?

7 minutes ago, justinafrika said:

Morne, are you able to advise about the admissibility of importing 50 identical items conforming to those limitations?

this is from SARS website. so i guess it depends. They might see 50 items as heading for local market lol. But then just get an import licence. It's free...just paperwork.

• You are allowed only three transactions (of less than R50 000 each) during any calendar year;
  • You are only allowed to import goods for home consumption or personal use, not for resale or any other business;
  • You must be located in South Africa;
  • Your identity number/ Passport number or taxpayer reference number must be entered in the field provided in the declaration form.

22 minutes ago, MORNE said:

they dont have any Geo blocking at this stage still. One of the few left. 

CompetitiveCyclist in USA doesnt seem to ship such items to RSA so I can only assume the same goes for Jenson USA (but these okes dont have stock)