Merlin Cycles

Elvis

13 minutes ago, Darryllk said:

CompetitiveCyclist in USA doesnt seem to ship such items to RSA so I can only assume the same goes for Jenson USA (but these okes dont have stock)

Yea sorry you are right, Jenson was a typo, why i took it off. I think i might be confusing then for amain cycling. I buy from jenson, they ship via UPS. If i need shimano stuff from them i use aramex global shopper

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, MORNE said:

Yea sorry you are right, Jenson was a typo, why i took it off. I think i might be confusing then for amain cycling. I buy from jenson, they ship via UPS. If i need shimano stuff from them i use aramex global shopper

Do you suspect it would have something to do with shipping electronic equipment? Or have you come right in relation to electronic items?

1 hour ago, Darryllk said:

Would they ship Di2 components...I'm in need of deraileurs and considering international purchase as locally I cant find any

Bought a di2 groupo from them in Feb last year. No problems at all. Got a really sweet deal on a Wilier frame too. Absolute bargain. 

11 minutes ago, Mountain Bru said:

Bought a di2 groupo from them in Feb last year. No problems at all. Got a really sweet deal on a Wilier frame too. Absolute bargain. 

From Merlin Cycles in UK or CompetiveCyclist in USA?

52 minutes ago, Darryllk said:

From Merlin Cycles in UK or CompetiveCyclist in USA?

Sorry from Merlin. CompetitiveCyclist seems to think R1000 shipping is acceptable whenever I try to buy something from them. 

The courier companies don’t stand in line at customs, it’s all done electronically. Once they get clearance, they’re allowed to collect the goods at the cargo part of the airport.

On 9/8/2021 at 9:28 AM, MORNE said:

Here are my last few orders from Merlin:

R1480 tax (R6430 rand value order - only bike parts ) thats roughly 23% total. 

R800 tax (R3320 Rand value order - only bike parts) roughly 24% total

R1130 tax (R4720 Rand value order - only bike parts ) roughly 24% total. 

R3744 tax (R16250 Rand value order - only bike parts) roughly 23%

use it, dont use it.  

dhl.jpg

Interesting - my merlin orders only attract 17%, outright VAT.

could you post one of your customs worksheets?

I tried ordering a shimano cassette yesterday and was asked to remove the item on check out. They do seem to be blocking certain items.

VAT is calculated on the Customs value of the item, which is purchase price plus 10%. Effectively this boils down to VAT at 16.5%. Full bikes adds another 15% in customs duties. Effectively this adds 32%. In other words, for components, the sum = price X 1.165 and for bikes = price x 1.32. This does not include handling and clearance fees. The duties on clothing are prohibitive (but that is my opinion).

Morne's "boeresom" of adding 25% makes absolute sense as it covers VAT, clearance fees and probable differences in exchange rates.

• 2 weeks later...

I've placed an order with Merlin yesterday morning at about 10am. Parcel left Manchester yesterday afternoon. Just checked now, it has just left Heathrow about an hour ago for Jhb. So far so good. Hopefully no delays when it lands. First time importing anything. 

When the courier contacts you for details on the shipment make sure to mention it is BICYCLE PARTS.

0% Duty

you should only then pay VAT. i know the calc to figure this out, but not once in all my invoices have i ever managed to get this figure to make sense.

sometimes its under, sometimes its over.

Items delivered today. Was expecting it tomorrow, but DHL opted to do residential deliveries today due to their high work load... Well that's what the driver told me. I'm just glad to have the goods. My hybrid to cx project can commence... A good first experience in importing goods. 

DSC_1009.JPG

On 9/9/2021 at 9:16 PM, Frosty said:

The courier companies don’t stand in line at customs, it’s all done electronically. Once they get clearance, they’re allowed to collect the goods at the cargo part of the airport.

Yea duh lol. Its a way of saying they do the admin on your behalf. What you are paying them for.

also. I maintain what i said earlier in this thread about vat and duties. It is never JUST 15% (ie VAT). There is ALWAYS an admin charge dependant on the courier. If ppl think there isn't, regardless of what the customs info says ( ps merlin always states bike parts) they are lying to themselves and their wives lol. 
ive bought enough from abroad in the last 20 years to know how to the math. ????

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/26/2021 at 6:07 PM, MORNE said:

Yea duh lol. Its a way of saying they do the admin on your behalf. What you are paying them for.

also. I maintain what i said earlier in this thread about vat and duties. It is never JUST 15% (ie VAT). There is ALWAYS an admin charge dependant on the courier. If ppl think there isn't, regardless of what the customs info says ( ps merlin always states bike parts) they are lying to themselves and their wives lol. 
ive bought enough from abroad in the last 20 years to know how to the math. ????

Just checking which shipping option to choose?

Screenshot_20211007-071802_Chrome.jpg