Roof Rack or Towbar for Bicycle Transportation

Sirusthevirus

Hi all

I am currently in a predicament. I need to get one of the 2 because I no longer want to use my boot lid rack (got a new car). Even though they indicate it does not scratch the vehicle paint, I saw different on my previous car because of usage over a few years. So below are the options I have and would like pros and cons from people who have these items please. I have a sedan and would need to save up for the towbar for my specific vehicle (needs to be removable). I might need to travel long distance as well (probably 500km max distance I will go for an event). I am in CPT as well.

Roof Rack (Cost 3 times less than Towbar)

or

Towbar (Can be used for other purposes such as a trailer- I have never used a trailer)

Edited by Sirusthevirus

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a roof rack user and love them, other than how it wrecks fuel economy. My car is relatively low as well, so loading is not an issue either. The biggest benefit for me personally is that I can use the roof racks for other purposes as well, like my weekly trips to the hardware store to buy big things I probably don't need.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by bertusras

I'd go for the roof rack mount. 

My car came with a factory fitted towbar, so the tilting rack mount was the easiest, but I think go for the one that will cost you the least. 

In fairness, if you have never owned or used a trailer, I doubt you will suddenly have the urge to get/use one.

Both are as good as each other with various pro's and cons each way at actual bike transport. 

Roof rack is very useful. You're just as likely to get a roof box as you are to get a trailer some day in the future. Roof rack has other uses without a roof box though...

Maybe consider getting your boot lid covered with some thick clear vinyl. Probably quite cheap. Or get a paint shop to give it a thick layer of clear coat in the contact areas. Be probably also quite cheap.

Then use what you already have.

Edited by MudLark

21 minutes ago, Steady Spin said:

Roof

How is long distance driving with a roof rack? I'm not worried about fuel. It's more safety of the bicycle in windy situations.

1 hour ago, Sirusthevirus said:

How is long distance driving with a roof rack? I'm not worried about fuel. It's more safety of the bicycle in windy situations.

I've done a 4000km Pretoria - Cape Town - Plett - Pretoria trip. Multiple trips to Drakensberge (through big storms as well). Up north/east to and through Sabie, and I haven't had a single issue.

Edit: Having said that, fuel economy really is an issue. There were stretches on the CT trip where the headwind was so bad it was just better to do 100 than to sit at 120 fighting the wind. Conversely, when you've got a tailwind it's brilliant.

Edited by bertusras

I have roof racks because I can't fit a tow bar to my car. The roof rack option is very inconvenient because of the height issue. My driveways has trees that are not tall enough and I have had to take them off to arrive at destinations before. 
I am all for tow bar where possible. 

So far the towbar's only issue is price. It's about R13k installed, so it is quite a chunk of change. I have enough time to decide cause I'm only making my choice end of this month. Really appreciate the feedback thus far.

3 hours ago, Sirusthevirus said:

BMW 3 Series

Sedan or hatch-back ?

A towbar-mount with a sedan is MURDER on fuel usage !!!  On the Jetta I could not believe just how bad it was.  Before that we had the RAV4, and the bikes were perfectly in the slip stream, both sides and top, and it had minimal effect on fuel economy. 

For longer trips, including long sections on gravel roads I used a roof mount on the RAV.  The bikes stay MUCH cleaner on the top of the car !!!  On the towbar rack fine dust settles all over the drive train, nice grinding paste .... the dust on the "bike" can be dusted down quickly.  Loading the bikes onto the roof rack on the RAV was a bit of fun, as I needed a two-step ladder.

For convenience, OFF of dirt roads, towbar rack .... noting the potential fuel impact for the shape of the car.

For a nice clean car, and minimal fuel impact, roof mounted.  You may need to drop your cruising speed by 5km/h to keep to a similar fuel economy.  And the issues that comes with a vehicle standing about 3m tall ... no more driving into basement parking, garage, etc ...

I am in exactly the same situation. Also have a sedan without a tow bar, and the strap on bike rack just irritates the hell out of me.

It scratches my car, takes too long to load the bicycle to prevent damage to the bike, plus once the bicycle is loaded, I cannot access my boot. (The last point is very irritating since I have 2 young girls who always need something from the boot...

Also noted that with the bicycle behind the sedan using the strap on rack, the fuel efficiency drops dramatically.

So my options are:

1. Buy towbar and rack with tilt function

2. Roof rack.

Edited by W@nted

two things to consider ...

Towbar rack - single expense, for the RACK .... but now each subsequent car must have a towbar ..... less of an issue if you use a trailer, but certainly costly if it is just for the bikes.

Roof rack - DONT buy this - Thule "Whing bar"

1774430279_OstrichKick-47.jpg.a98c5ae34cccb835d6b922235f72374d.jpg

Yes, it fits nice, it sits lower .... BUT, if your next car dont have the exact same rail set, you start over ....

Rather get the "Smart Rack" setup ... at worst, you buy a new "foot pack" to fit the next car.