Roof Rack or Towbar for Bicycle Transportation

Sirusthevirus

1 hour ago, ChrisF said:

And the issues that comes with a vehicle standing about 3m tall ... no more driving into basement parking, garage, etc ...

Express toll-booths...

1 hour ago, ChrisF said:

Rather get the "Smart Rack" setup ... at worst, you buy a new "foot pack" to fit the next car.

100% agreed. And you can get most of what you require second hand. The Thule website is extremely helpful in determining what length bar you need for your vehicle as well. I started off with a Honda Jazz with roof racks, then sold them on to a guy with a Polo with the correct foot packs. Got lucky with the Volvo as I knew someone who was selling theirs and picked it up for a song, but the bike carries got carried forward.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Sirusthevirus said:

Hi all

I am currently in a predicament. I need to get one of the 2 because I no longer want to use my boot lid rack (got a new car). Even though they indicate it does not scratch the vehicle paint, I saw different on my previous car because of usage over a few years. So below are the options I have and would like pros and cons from people who have these items please. I have a sedan and would need to save up for the towbar for my specific vehicle (needs to be removable). I might need to travel long distance as well (probably 500km max distance I will go for an event). I am in CPT as well.

Roof Rack (Cost 3 times less than Towbar)

or

Towbar (Can be used for other purposes such as a trailer- I have never used a trailer)

• As you point out, the boot lid rack damages the car.
  • But the roof rack will do much more damage to both the car and the bike when you eventually drive under something too low  - which WILL happen, at least once.

Personally I would go the towbar option. But I already own one trailer ...

How absent minded are you?

A friend eventually fitted a towbar and will be selling his roof option. Forgot about his bike on roof too many times!

Fuel economy has been mentioned  but the wind noise is something to think about. A proper towbar option will serve you well for many years. 

5 hours ago, ChrisF said:

two things to consider ...

Towbar rack - single expense, for the RACK .... but now each subsequent car must have a towbar ..... less of an issue if you use a trailer, but certainly costly if it is just for the bikes.

Roof rack - DONT buy this - Thule "Whing bar"

1774430279_OstrichKick-47.jpg.a98c5ae34cccb835d6b922235f72374d.jpg

Yes, it fits nice, it sits lower .... BUT, if your next car dont have the exact same rail set, you start over ....

Rather get the "Smart Rack" setup ... at worst, you buy a new "foot pack" to fit the next car.

Anyone have thoughts on the roof mounted Frogsucker? (Sits on roof)

11 hours ago, Sirusthevirus said:

Seems like towbar it is then. I will probably just install it myself to save costs cause it's not that difficult. 

how modern is your 3 series ?

Modern cars require that the towbar be integrated into the electronics, its not just a case of bolting on a slab of steel and splicing some wires anymore.

12 minutes ago, ouzo said:

how modern is your 3 series ?

Modern cars require that the towbar be integrated into the electronics, its not just a case of bolting on a slab of steel and splicing some wires anymore.

You are correct. I need to connect the electronics and might need coding, but not always. The vehicle already has the tow hitch ready option added. Luckily I've been doing coding/programming on this and previous vehicle. 

The coding would be to auto disable PDC when hooking something up. 

Edited by Sirusthevirus

9 minutes ago, Sirusthevirus said:

You are correct. I need to connect the electronics and might need coding, but not always. The vehicle already has the tow hitch ready option added. That's not a problem  I can do that part too. Luckily I've been doing coding/programming on this and previous vehicle. 

The coding would be to auto disable PDC when hooking something up. 

the bold bit might explain the low cost you quoted for the towbar, normally there is a towbar module that needs to be plugged in so that the car knows to adjust safety features, what to expect the current to the lights to do, some even go as far as knowing how much weight is on the towhitch  etc.

13k is pretty cheap for a towbar install on a modern car.

2 minutes ago, ouzo said:

the bold bit might explain the low cost you quoted for the towbar, normally there is a towbar module that needs to be plugged in so that the car knows to adjust safety features, what to expect the current to the lights to do, some even go as far as knowing how much weight is on the towhitch  etc.

13k is pretty cheap for a towbar install on a modern car.

That R13k is with discount. But without discount installed it was R15k ex vat by bmw themselves.

It's 2 parts, the tow hitch and the retrofit harness.

I'm only going to use oem parts so I know it works properly.

If your car is still under warranty you should not go for a DIY option as to my best knowledge, it will void it immediately.

3 minutes ago, bertusras said:

If your car is still under warranty you should not go for a DIY option as to my best knowledge, it will void it immediately.

correct, and BMW are very strict on these things

No warranty and maintenance plan finished last month.

As long as the part does not cause any issues on the vehicle and you get permission from bmw then its all good. I did my own Bluetooth install (using oem installation manual) on my previous one while it was under warranty and maintenance plan. All oem parts and there was no issues. Even the coding I did myself back then too. 

However I would not encourage people doing it. It might have been ok for me, but might not be the same for others. 

Today I actually got a chance to look at the roof racked bicycles in action. Was at bloemendal and I made up my mind. Going with Towbar.

It was so simple to load the bicycle onto the roof rack. Bicycle was high, but I could have lived with that. It's when I saw the car start driving. The bicycle looked very unstable. I know it's not, but the amount  of movement it has while on top of the roof is way too much for my liking. I actually saw about 3 driving and 3 standing still in about a 2 minute period.

Then another person in a newish Landover Discovery also pulled up with bikes on the roof (has a towbar though). He had to get out a crate from the car to get the bikes off. 

With all of the above I made my choice within 5 minutes of seeing all these people with roof racks. Towbar it is.

Edited by Sirusthevirus

11 minutes ago, Sirusthevirus said:

Today I actually got a chance to look at the roof racked bicycles in action. Was at bloemendal and I made up my mind. Going with Towbar.

It was so simple to load the bicycle onto the roof rack. Bicycle was high, but I could have lived with that. It's when I saw the car starting to drive. The bicycle looked very unstable. I know it's not, but the amount  of movement it has while on top of the roof is way too much for my liking. I actually saw about 3 driving and 3 standing still in about a 2 minute period.

Then another person in a newish Landover Discovery also pulled up with bikes on the roof (has a towbar though). He had to get out a crate from the car to get the bikes off. 

With all of the above I made my choice within 5 minutes of seeing all these people with roof racks. Towbar it is.

You really need to see that again ... more specifically what the bikes look like after a few dusty kilometers ... ????

But YES, the bikes load so much easier on the platform rack ... also more stable.

Just make sure to buy the three bike rack for two bikes ....

3 hours ago, ChrisF said:

You really need to see that again ... more specifically what the bikes look like after a few dusty kilometers ... ????

But YES, the bikes load so much easier on the platform rack ... also more stable.

Just make sure to buy the three bike rack for two bikes ....

I was actually going to buy the 2 bike rack.  Is their a reason why I should go 3 other than adding an extra bike? I was looking at the Marvel Rack from Chris Willemse Cycles or hopefully get a bargain 2nd hand one. I'm going to be selling my Saris Bones 2 which will add cash towards it as well.

The wider handle bars of the MTB's overlap with the next bike ....

Some bikes fit okay.  Mostly you need a dropper seatpost or some other trick to prevent the bikes from rubbing.

Also, at some point a friend joins you and you need all three rows.... with pool noodles ...