Roof Rack or Towbar for Bicycle Transportation

Sirusthevirus

20 hours ago, Sirusthevirus said:

I was actually going to buy the 2 bike rack.  Is their a reason why I should go 3 other than adding an extra bike? I was looking at the Marvel Rack from Chris Willemse Cycles or hopefully get a bargain 2nd hand one. I'm going to be selling my Saris Bones 2 which will add cash towards it as well.

It's easier to get two bikes onto a three bike rack than a two bike rack. For some reason, especially if they are similar sized road bikes. MTBs can be tricky too though, depending upon the frame configuration, presence or absence of dropper posts etc. 

Edited by MudLark

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So I got tbe towbar. Now for the bike carrier. Will the marvel bike carrier work? It will probably only be for 1 bike and the random 2nd bike if someone needs a lift from the trail.

• 2 weeks later...

How much space do you have ?

Some mount a towbar ball to the wall and let it hang down.  Fold the arm down and it takes almost no space.

You could put iy on the ground.  Even use it as a bike rack for the lesser used bikes ...  but it is an awkward load to pick up from ground level each time you want to fit it on the bike .....

I made a stand, with a towball, to keep it at a similar height as when on the car.  So much easier to pick up, three steps to the side and the rack is on the car.   As a bonus. The bag with our helmets, race numbers etc stores perfectly under this rack

3 hours ago, ChrisF said:

How much space do you have ?

Some mount a towbar ball to the wall and let it hang down.  Fold the arm down and it takes almost no space.

You could put iy on the ground.  Even use it as a bike rack for the lesser used bikes ...  but it is an awkward load to pick up from ground level each time you want to fit it on the bike .....

I made a stand, with a towball, to keep it at a similar height as when on the car.  So much easier to pick up, three steps to the side and the rack is on the car.   As a bonus. The bag with our helmets, race numbers etc stores perfectly under this rack

Hi Chris

This is what I would prefer "Some mount a towbar ball to the wall and let it hang down.  Fold the arm down and it takes almost no space."

This way it takes up almost no space and I can mount it easy as well. The problem is finding a  towball for this. Do you perhaps know where I can get one?

Regards,

Edited by Sirusthevirus

3 hours ago, Sirusthevirus said:

Hi Chris

This is what I would prefer "Some mount a towbar ball to the wall and let it hang down.  Fold the arm down and it takes almost no space."

This way it takes up almost no space and I can mount it easy as well. The problem is finding a  towball for this. Do you perhaps know where I can get one?

Regards,

11 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Your local MIDAS type auto store will have a range of towball options.  Fix it to the wall with 12x60mm plastic plugs and bolts.

spacer.png

Any auto parts store. Even Makro and Game probably have them.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, W@nted said:

So is Thule worth the extra money compared to say Buzzrack for a 3 bike platform carrier?

To be honest with you I can't say. I have not used a Thule so can't comment. The one I have is slightly bent where you do the tilt feature with the foot. It still works 100% because it has 2 places where you can tilt. I don't need the tilt feature but I got this rack for R3k 2nd hand so didn't complain at all.

There might be a reason why Thule is expensive, but that reason I do not know (maybe they won't bend if too much force is applied with the foot for the tilt feature).

• 3 months later...

I'm in the same boat, choosing between a roof rack and a towbar. I drive a Ford Ecosport 2020 TDCI, with the spare wheel attached to the back door. If I decide to install a towbar, won't the spare wheel be in the way of my bike rack? Because I've heard of people complaining about un-hitching their trailer and the spare wheel gets in the way?

Anyone here also driving a Ecosport (or knows of someone that does), that can tell me if the spare wheel will be a problem for a bike rack.

11 minutes ago, Lexx said:

I'm in the same boat, choosing between a roof rack and a towbar. I drive a Ford Ecosport 2020 TDCI, with the spare wheel attached to the back door. If I decide to install a towbar, won't the spare wheel be in the way of my bike rack? Because I've heard of people complaining about un-hitching their trailer and the spare wheel gets in the way?

Anyone here also driving a Ecosport (or knows of someone that does), that can tell me if the spare wheel will be a problem for a bike rack.

get a towbar extension that will push the towbar further out away from teh spare wheel

Base Plate Extensions - Holdfast

Edited by ouzo