Which rim brake is more powerful

Chris NewbyFraser

Since retiring and moving to the Kzn coast and its steep slopes, I find the rim brakes on my Merida Scultura 300 struggle to stop me at speed. I have the stock standard Merida Comp callipers with Shimano Tiagra 4700 levers. I changed the single piece Merida brake shoes to the Shimano brake shoes (not the cartridge type) but this had little noticeable effect.

I am looking at buying some used Tiagra 4700 callipers to replace the Merida's but before I do that I am hoping some Hubbers have some specific experience to share with me. Will the 4700's be a worthwhile upgrade or is it not worth the money. I cannot afford used 105's which have the correct pull ratio to match the 4700 series.

I had a Fuji with Tektro brakes, even with Dura Ace pads the brakes were very poor. Changed to 105 and problem solved. You can pick up older Ultegra or Dura Ace (10 years plus) on bikehub, they normally in very good condition. Even 105 tends to rust a bit in places.

If you can source 105 calipers at a better price and then go for Swiss Stop pads with the correct setup, should be a winner!

1 hour ago, Martin PJ said:

I had a Fuji with Tektro brakes, even with Dura Ace pads the brakes were very poor. Changed to 105 and problem solved. You can pick up older Ultegra or Dura Ace (10 years plus) on bikehub, they normally in very good condition. Even 105 tends to rust a bit in places.

From what I understand in literature, the current 4700 series has a different pull ratio to earlier ranges so its possible it wont work properly.

I have to agree with you on the TRP / Tektro. I had mechanical TRP Spyre on a Spez gravel bike and got rid of them pretty damn fast.

1 hour ago, Chris NewbyFraser said:

From what I understand in literature, the current 4700 series has a different pull ratio to earlier ranges so its possible it wont work properly.

I have to agree with you on the TRP / Tektro. I had mechanical TRP Spyre on a Spez gravel bike and got rid of them pretty damn fast.

Don't know much about pull ratio, thought that was just for shifters and rear derailleurs, I have bought two old pairs of Dura Ace and one old pair Ultegra brakes on the Bikehub, they look pretty new on the bike. Were R600 to R800 a pair, can't remember exactly. If you pull hard, the bike stops quickly.

• 2 weeks later...

The answer to my question? On Bikehub (where else!) I found a pair of Shimano 105 (5800 series) which Shimano's web site says is ok for my Tiagra 4700 levers. Put this on my road bike and found the braking is about 25% better and the feel is not 'dead' as I felt with the Merida comp. Now I feel in control of my bike. Well worth the investment