The unending sock debate

Moult

Iv always ridden with Falke socks. I liked that they were slightly longer than other brands. However the last few pairs have all been slighty shorter which I dont really like.

I do like Versus because of the extra padding on the toe and heal but dont like the length. 

Any other suggestions for nice socks that are longer than the Versus but obviously not knee height. 

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am also looking for somewhere that does cheap, longish socks. I have some decent quality socks I have been given by a sponsor for an event that seemed cheap upon first inspection but have lasted really well. I think anything over R50 for a pair of socks is a bit overpriced... There must be some cheap, decent options out there (preferably in plain black)

woolworths makes some nice ones i started using this past weekend. Saw them while standing in the line to pay at the clothing part of WW and took a pair to try. They are also longer than my versus ones...and they come in similar silly designs. Cost like R65 a pair.

Just now, Sid the Sloth said:

I am also looking for somewhere that does cheap, longish socks. I have some decent quality socks I have been given by a sponsor for an event that seemed cheap upon first inspection but have lasted really well. I think anything over R50 for a pair of socks is a bit overpriced... There must be some cheap, decent options out there (preferably in plain black)

I can't believe this information is going to be useful, but here goes:

I recently bought something off takealot for about R100 less than the threshold for free delivery... so to make up the difference I bought these:

https://www.takealot.com/cotton-socks-for-men-pack-of-12-pairs-black/PLID70978822

They are cheap, they are black and are a length I can only describe as "business" (not too long, not too short). They aren't versus socks, they aren't even cycling socks, but I just rode in a pair over lunch and even got some PBs so can confirm that they are as fast as (if not faster) than high end racing socks. 

I can't vouch for their longevity or their claimed anti-odor capabilities, I've only had them for a few days. But hey its 12 pairs of black socks for R146. I feel like its a risk worth taking. 

1 minute ago, NickGM said:

I recently bought something off takealot for about R100 less than the threshold for free delivery... so to make up the difference I bought these:

https://www.takealot.com/cotton-socks-for-men-pack-of-12-pairs-black/PLID70978822

They are cheap, they are black and are a length I can only describe as "business" (not too long, not too short). They aren't versus socks, they aren't even cycling socks, but I just rode in a pair over lunch and even got some PBs so can confirm that they are as fast as (if not faster) than high end racing socks. 

I can't vouch for their longevity or their claimed anti-odor capabilities, I've only had them for a few days. But hey its 12 pairs of black socks for R146. I feel like its a risk worth taking. 

This is exactly what I am talking about but I am hoping to find some polyester ones (surely even cheaper)... Thanks!

#firstworldproblems

They are socks, if the skin that interacts with your shoe is covered then they are fine, in fact any material that is not directly between shoe and foot is excess and extra weight carried for no reason. You can even cycle without them and survive...

Not the cheapest, but there are various options with different pricing. https://soxfootwear.co.za/ 

I've always liked the feel and both quality and longevity has consistently grown over time, especially now that production is in SA. They truly have become my default sokkie jol.
Versus, Falke and some others make up representation too.... 

Krankd gear socks are also pretty nice, my wife bought me a couple pairs, length wise probably not as long as you are looking for though

38 minutes ago, NickGM said:

Added to wish list - what has become of us?

Those XTR oem shimano socks you find in select bike shops are my go to , they last forever and are always dirt cheap.

I always buy as many pairs as possible when i do see them 

Last luck shot was at the Cajees near makro in centurion

21 minutes ago, bleedToWin said:

Me too. ????
I guess I'm a 30something father, so if the sock fits...

for the first time in my life I actually asked for socks for my birthday this year.

I needed new socks for work and the family never knows what to buy me.

guess what, I landed up having to buy my own socks.

being old sux

17 hours ago, dave303e said:

#firstworldproblems

They are socks, if the skin that interacts with your shoe is covered then they are fine, in fact any material that is not directly between shoe and foot is excess and extra weight carried for no reason. You can even cycle without them and survive...

Without socks ???? bloody infidel ????

I have also been looking for slightly longer socks. I bought a bunch of versus ones on takealot on special. I then bought a pair of ciovita ones, which are basically versus, but they seem a tad taller, which i prefer. So yes, i would also like a tad longer ones.