Boutique intravenous drips

mecheng89

24 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Okay .... just wondering .....

people cry blue murder and refuse to use a vaccine that could save their lives, and which wont cost them a cent .... 

but people go out and pay for this ......

Strange strange world we live in Master Jack ....

You're showing your age quoting 4 Jack's and a Jill

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Look to each their own. By and large though most of these cocktails are BS. Speak to any credible GP, especially in the sports area. Dr Jarad van Zuydam and Mike Posthmus come to mind. 

Some NB things to consider; 

IV complications like an embolism for example, area real risk, essentially you're subjecting yourself to an invasive procedure. 
So having properly qualified and trained staff administering this is pretty important. 

Many of the 'cocktails' on offer are questionable at best, especially in the context of an IV.

To have an IV of any kind there should be demonstrable medical requirement under the guidance of a medical professional (Doctor). Ie sever dehydration.

Sport, especially cycling has a strict no needles policy. So, anyone holding a race licence and/or signing the T&C of a race. 

3 hours ago, FreeSoul said:

I have had the "jetfuel" several times during race weeks and I feel a difference. Perhaps its placebo or just the extra hydration they give you! Who knows!

Doesn't cycling have a 'no needles' policy?

Isn't this contrary to that? I was always under the illusion that even a basic IV during a race made you ineligible to continue.

I'm just wondering if anyone out there actually has an idea of whether this sort of thing is actually 'race legal' or whether it is a breach of the basic racing guidelines and subject to disciplinary

35 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

Doesn't cycling have a 'no needles' policy?

Isn't this contrary to that? I was always under the illusion that even a basic IV during a race made you ineligible to continue.

I'm just wondering if anyone out there actually has an idea of whether this sort of thing is actually 'race legal' or whether it is a breach of the basic racing guidelines and subject to disciplinary

Yes, as Danger Dassie has already said, cycling has a no needle policy, but only applicable to UCI licence holders. That means the weekend warriors in the alphabet racing groups, and non-racing folk can do it without sanction.

6 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Yes, as Danger Dassie has already said, cycling has a no needle policy, but only applicable to UCI licence holders. That means the weekend warriors in the alphabet racing groups, and non-racing folk can do it without sanction.

IS that why it is said that so many vets and masters are doping in cycling locally?

5 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Ah... Seems a little fuzzy. But ja, I'm sure a heap of the guys on these during race week probably also have Shan's number on speed dial too.....

1 hour ago, Hairy said:

IS that why it is said that so many vets and masters are doping in cycling locally?

1 hour ago, Jewbacca said:

Ah... Seems a little fuzzy. But ja, I'm sure a heap of the guys on these during race week probably also have Shan's number on speed dial too.....

???? ????

13 hours ago, Shebeen said:

how much does this *** cost?

university sailing regatta. we did a bit of yachting between the drinking.

one year a med student brought a bucketload of drips, had a system of each varisty could ominate 2/3 people for a hangover cure session..

it was awesome.

probably totally placebo,

Hangover is essentially dehydration. A saline drip adds a lot or fluids back into the system. It definitely helps with hangovers. 

NAD+??

Do you know if this can be stacked with the coffee drug and the protein drug? - asking for a friend

Edited by Furbz

I honestly don't see how people can see this as an ethical ok. People getting IV drips for hangovers and stuff is questionable in my mind, let alone a bit of a booster for training purposes. 

I have had a drip mid race before. I was happy to be excluded from the results. 30km into the 60km run I was throwing up everything, crossed the line with clouded vision, stumbling, totally dehydrated unable to get anything into my body. With a 120km mtb ride the following day I was all too happy to get a drip. 2 hours later and I was back up and running, hydrated, able to eat again and I was fastest on the mtb leg the next day (even though it didn't count). So I know exactly how good a drip can be.

To me, unless a medical doctor is telling you that you definitely need one. It is pretty much doping.