Bike rack on the front of a vehicle...

andyrtmorgan

Hi guys, just wondering, I have a towbar on the front of my vehicle for launching a boat. Is there anything wrong with popping a bike rack on there? Means I can carry bikes with my camping or boat trailer out back. Seems common in the States, but I don't see it here too often.

1 hour ago, andyrtmorgan said:

Hi guys, just wondering, I have a towbar on the front of my vehicle for launching a boat. Is there anything wrong with popping a bike rack on there? Means I can carry bikes with my camping or boat trailer out back. Seems common in the States, but I don't see it here too often.

Please post a photo once you do 

Is there not a restriction on how much further than the front bumper extends  something is allowed to protrude past it . Visibility will also be a problem . 

A rack on the back needs a working "trailer bord", i.e. lights and number plate.

Going to be interesting making a custom board for the front ....

Certainly an interesting concept ....

No. Obscuring your headlights will be the biggest issue that you won't be able to get around without major modification. 

If you need the rear towbar, get roof racks. 

I think the guys at Gravity Hub have/had rack mounted on the front of their van, but I assume it was only used for shuttle days

34 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

You guys have no imagination! It's a pretty common sight in some parts of the world.

RV's, busses and vans that are high enough work brilliantly. We are so set in our ways here. 

Com on denominator is that the driver  all sit higher than a bakkie, SUV or car driver. 

OP: If you can see safely over the bikes, it may be worth a try. I'm pretty sure every second speedcop on a power trip without a clue will try to have a go on writing you a fine though. also, double check how strong the mounting points for the front row bar is. If it is there to push into the water it may not be able to handle the dynamic load of a bike(s) on the front. 

13 hours ago, andyrtmorgan said:

i think this will wreck your bike if you take long trips - think of all the stones and road debris that gets kicked up from other cars.  Also, I'm not sure that tow-bar mounted bike racks are designed to take the sort of force that head-on wind resistance will impose - this is not a good idea for anything other than a campervan where the whole vehicle is a wind block

When I was in  school and we came to cape town for the cross country events the kombi we came in had a bike rack in the front as well.. .  mates.telling you that your bearings is wearing out while the wheels are spinning on the drive????????

I would think the best solution (if you don't want roofrack mounts) is to get a towbar on the camping trailer, or put the bikes in the boat if the boat is big enough. 

Just put bikes on the roof................I've used EVERY other permutation, and on the roof is where they are by far the least likely to get damaged by mud, dust stones, hot exhaust etc, especially if you are adventurous and likely to drive bad roads. People are so worried they will drive into a parking garage with bikes on the roof, but that is such an unlikely thing if you have your brain engaged.