Bike rack on the front of a vehicle...

andyrtmorgan

30 minutes ago, DJR said:

Just put bikes on the roof................I've used EVERY other permutation, and on the roof is where they are by far the least likely to get damaged by mud, dust stones, hot exhaust etc, especially if you are adventurous and likely to drive bad roads. People are so worried they will drive into a parking garage with bikes on the roof, but that is such an unlikely thing if you have your brain engaged.

And avoid using their phone when driving (into the garage).

2 hours ago, DJR said:

Just put bikes on the roof................I've used EVERY other permutation, and on the roof is where they are by far the least likely to get damaged by mud, dust stones, hot exhaust etc, especially if you are adventurous and likely to drive bad roads. People are so worried they will drive into a parking garage with bikes on the roof, but that is such an unlikely thing if you have your brain engaged.

Problem is 99% of road users don't 

20 hours ago, Frosty said:

This this is what the OP was referring to. I've seen it here, once.The Bike Rack at the Front of my Van — Life Done Differently

It you have to keep in mind that vans, trucks and some Subs are very big in high so the bike won't block the view 

On 9/11/2021 at 6:01 PM, andyrtmorgan said:

Hi guys, just wondering, I have a towbar on the front of my vehicle for launching a boat. Is there anything wrong with popping a bike rack on there? Means I can carry bikes with my camping or boat trailer out back. Seems common in the States, but I don't see it here too often.

I would love to see that! Probably possible when driving close couters, but long distance bad idea, rock shooting up will be bad for the frame, and if something goes wrong you will be crushing the frame... But yeah will it's probably possible! 

8 hours ago, DJR said:

Or carport roofs.......????☺️☺️☺️

1 hour ago, andyrtmorgan said:

Ja... maybe not the best idea after all!

Thanks for all the input!

Most likely that’s why don’t see them

12 hours ago, andyrtmorgan said:

Ja... maybe not the best idea after all!

Thanks for all the input!

I’ve seen quite a few cars with a bike rack in front, works fine

13 hours ago, Mountain Bru said:

I'd love to see the effect on fuel economy if you have a bike on the front. I assume it would be significant. 

Well, as the OP said, 'to use when towing boats and trailers' so I would assume it's not going to be fast, open road KM at 100 miles an hour anyway and much like rank amateurs with a 4w/kg ftp, the bottleneck in performance probably won't be the bike........ ????

3 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

Well, as the OP said, 'to use when towing boats and trailers' so I would assume it's not going to be fast, open road KM at 100 miles an hour anyway and much like rank amateurs with a 4w/kg ftp, the bottleneck in performance probably won't be the bike........ ????

100 mp/h is **** vinning ????