Contact Lens Solution

Eddy Gordo

I need to use contact lenses when cycling.

I am used to only using renu lens solution. With this global recall, I cant find any now. My current stock is running out and I have bought a product called Blink from dischem. 

Blink is just way too thick, very gel like, whereas renu is alot thinner and just easier to help in removing lenses for me. I really struggle.

Is there anything else available similar to renu?

Anyone have any experience with Acuvue Revitalens?

I use Coopervision Biofinity XR's which are toric but still nice and thin.

I seldom get to choose based on comfort with my condition, its normally more about what gives the best vision, these have been good on both fronts.

1 hour ago, Rocket-Boy said:

I use Coopervision Biofinity XR's which are toric but still nice and thin.

I seldom get to choose based on comfort with my condition, its normally more about what gives the best vision, these have been good on both fronts.

I am also using toric lenses. Its the solution that I am having problems with or rather the shortage of stock.

On 9/11/2021 at 7:00 PM, Eddy Gordo said:

With this global recall, I cant find any now.

Wait what??

I used to use Complete (which left the market?) and then switched to Renu. What does your optometrist say?

we are using Aosept Plus® with HydraGlyde.  I have scleral lenses and my wife has soft lenses.  After cleaning the lenses, just make sure there is enough time to neutralize the solution (hydrogen peroxide).  The solution turns to saline that is safe to put in your eyes..  Have not had a problem getting Aosept yet.  The other solutions are a problem.

Edited by Cois

12 hours ago, AJB76 said:

I’ve used Renu before when I couldn’t find OptiFree. Didn’t enjoy it and now stick exclusively to OptiFree.

Is it similar in texture to renu? 

21 minutes ago, Eddy Gordo said:

Is it similar in texture to renu? 

Can’t say I’ve ever noticed a difference. My optometrist advised me not to use Renu and to stick to OptiFree.

found this too: https://www.clspectrum.com/issues/2002/december-2002/comfort-differences-between-multi-purpose-solution

edit: there appears to have been a few studies conducted between them and all the ones I’ve read come to the same conclusion.

Edited by AJB76
Additional info

46 minutes ago, AJB76 said:

Can’t say I’ve ever noticed a difference. My optometrist advised me not to use Renu and to stick to OptiFree.

found this too: https://www.clspectrum.com/issues/2002/december-2002/comfort-differences-between-multi-purpose-solution

edit: there appears to have been a few studies conducted between them and all the ones I’ve read come to the same conclusion.

Thanks, I am gonna get a bottle. I cant get used to the blink product.

On 9/16/2021 at 7:52 AM, Cois said:

we are using Aosept Plus® with HydraGlyde.  I have scleral lenses and my wife has soft lenses.  After cleaning the lenses, just make sure there is enough time to neutralize the solution (hydrogen peroxide).  The solution turns to saline that is safe to put in your eyes..  Have not had a problem getting Aosept yet.  The other solutions are a problem.

Have been using Aosept for about 10 years now. I suffered with a lot of protein build up that ReNu didn't adequately clean but the active hydrogen peroxide solution was instantly better for me. It is a 6 hour window period for the solution to neutralize (I've tested it, anything before that and it feels like you are putting a blow torch in your eye socket). 

1 hour ago, Jay F said:

Have been using Aosept for about 10 years now. I suffered with a lot of protein build up that ReNu didn't adequately clean but the active hydrogen peroxide solution was instantly better for me. It is a 6 hour window period for the solution to neutralize (I've tested it, anything before that and it feels like you are putting a blow torch in your eye socket). 

The one night I lost focus when I filled the lens cage, and squirted clean AOSept right into my eye. Was a lot of tears and wee that night