Jump to content

Bikepacking Route Options - Western Cape


Gouws 34
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone,

My girlfriend and I am planning to do a Bikepacking trip at the end of November and preferably somewhere in the Western-Cape. We have already done the official Karoo Cross Route that can be found on cape cycle route website.

We are planning to do a 5-6 day route where we will camping and staying over in B&B's. I have already looked at the Overberg Route as well as a section of the Cape Cross Route.

Any route suggestions will be appreciated.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Cobus34 said:

Hi everyone,

My girlfriend and I am planning to do a Bikepacking trip at the end of November and preferably somewhere in the Western-Cape. We have already done the official Karoo Cross Route that can be found on cape cycle route website.

We are planning to do a 5-6 day route where we will camping and staying over in B&B's. I have already looked at the Overberg Route as well as a section of the Cape Cross Route.

Any route suggestions will be appreciated.

 

 

The cross Cape routes leave out a lot of planning and logistics.

A lot of those answers and more here https://bicyclesouth.co.za/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hey, what would your goal distance per day be? I have a route that goes CT-Stellies-FHoek-Greyton-Riviersonderend-Swellendam-Oudtshoorn-George-Knysna which I have not done but would be nice in 5-6 days or a hard 4 days. I think the total is around 650 km 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Sid the Sloth said:

Hey, what would your goal distance per day be? I have a route that goes CT-Stellies-FHoek-Greyton-Riviersonderend-Swellendam-Oudtshoorn-George-Knysna which I have not done but would be nice in 5-6 days or a hard 4 days. I think the total is around 650 km 

I read your FHoek as Fish Hoek, and was bending my head around your proposed route, and THEN I realized Franchoek!
gave me a good chuckle!
chris

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/12/2021 at 8:43 AM, Sid the Sloth said:

Hey, what would your goal distance per day be? I have a route that goes CT-Stellies-FHoek-Greyton-Riviersonderend-Swellendam-Oudtshoorn-George-Knysna which I have not done but would be nice in 5-6 days or a hard 4 days. I think the total is around 650 km 

Thanks for the advice. 

We are actually looking to ride more or less 350 km in 5-6 days. Do you have any suggestion? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Gouws,

You could do the Cederberg circuit, starting in Clanwilliam and include Pakhuis Pass and Wuppertal. Then loop back towards Matjiesfontein. From here you could head towards Op die berg via Middleberg Pass onto Citrusdal and loop back to Clanwilliam or at Matjiesfontein head back via Kromrivier on the Trykkieskraal road it joins the Cederberg main road just before Sandrift. At the Kromrivier sign post you turn left and keep cycling towards Uitkyk Pass. At Algeria take the Clanwilliam road. 

This route is +/- 182km from Clanwilliam via Pakhuis Pass to Wuppertal, Matjiesfontein and back to Clanwilliam via Algeria. There are quite a few places you can stay and sights to view the Cederberg is a very special place.

If you more adventurous then you guys could carry onto Op Die Berg via Middleberg Pass, Citrusdal and back to Clanwilliam this is (+/-) 300km, again there a many places to stay. 

Garmin Connect have a really cool way of creating a detailed course that you can load onto your Garmin if you have one or if you can use (Ride with GPS). In fact there are routes of others who have done similar such trips that you can tweak to accommodate your plans.

I did the Cross Cape in May/June and that was the one of the best experiences I've done on a bike. 

I'm doing the Cederberg circuit in Oct and will share my experiences. I'm hoping for good roads. Its one of my favorite places on earth but the roads can get rough.

The western cape has so much to offer. Hope you find something enjoyable.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/14/2021 at 12:24 AM, Jackb said:

Hi Gouws,

You could do the Cederberg circuit, starting in Clanwilliam and include Pakhuis Pass and Wuppertal. Then loop back towards Matjiesfontein. From here you could head towards Op die berg via Middleberg Pass onto Citrusdal and loop back to Clanwilliam or at Matjiesfontein head back via Kromrivier on the Trykkieskraal road it joins the Cederberg main road just before Sandrift. At the Kromrivier sign post you turn left and keep cycling towards Uitkyk Pass. At Algeria take the Clanwilliam road. 

This route is +/- 182km from Clanwilliam via Pakhuis Pass to Wuppertal, Matjiesfontein and back to Clanwilliam via Algeria. There are quite a few places you can stay and sights to view the Cederberg is a very special place.

If you more adventurous then you guys could carry onto Op Die Berg via Middleberg Pass, Citrusdal and back to Clanwilliam this is (+/-) 300km, again there a many places to stay. 

Garmin Connect have a really cool way of creating a detailed course that you can load onto your Garmin if you have one or if you can use (Ride with GPS). In fact there are routes of others who have done similar such trips that you can tweak to accommodate your plans.

I did the Cross Cape in May/June and that was the one of the best experiences I've done on a bike. 

I'm doing the Cederberg circuit in Oct and will share my experiences. I'm hoping for good roads. Its one of my favorite places on earth but the roads can get rough.

The western cape has so much to offer. Hope you find something enjoyable.

Thanks for the comments everyone. I do appreciate it 🙏🏻.

I am currently looking at doing a section of the Cross Cape (Calitsdorp to Plettenberg Bay +-330km). It looks like  amazing scenery on this section. 

Is there another section of the cross cape that you would recommend? 

Sorry for all the questions. I'm trying to get as much info of the various routes as I possibly can to help me make a decision 😁

Yet again thanks! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

My Profile My Forum Content My Followed Content Forum Settings Ad Messages My Ads My Favourites My Saved Alerts My Pay Deals Settings Help Logout