sram eagle gripshift(is it "in" or just a waste?)

Arnostokes

Pass. Give me a good old fashioned shifter then. While I do keep my hand centered on my grips I don't think gripshift will work for me again. Dropped it back in the day for a reason. 

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely love my grip shift running a gx for the last view years and waiting for a xx1 to arrive later this week,  Cant wait to feel the difference. I feel the grip shift was a bit tricky in the beginning, had some accidental shifts but now it does not happen anymore. Grip shift really just feels so much faster and responsive especially when skipping a wide range of gears. It also allows for those difficult shifts running to fast into a switchback and having a sharp climb in the other side.

Always have and hopefully, always will be riding Gripshift. It basically comes down to what you are used to. All my previous bike have it. Still have some 8 and 7 speed gripshifters in the parts bin. People who diss it, is just not used to it. 

IMO, Gripshift is supperior in a few ways. Bit lighter and less moving parts to break. 

Such a personal choice, I'm a fan, always have been. Although currently I'm running XT 12spd and I've always like Shimano's trigger shifters, especially with the double action. A bit tempted to try out the gripshift for a bit though. 

My eldest daughter has grip shift on her bike, and the younger one has a trigger. Young one asked if she can swap bike as she prefers the grip shift.

1 hour ago, Danger Dassie said:

Such a personal choice, I'm a fan, always have been. Although currently I'm running XT 12spd and I've always like Shimano's trigger shifters, especially with the double action. A bit tempted to try out the gripshift for a bit though. 

Psssst ... Shimano 12 Speed Derailleur works with a SRAM gripshift - Same indexing.

I'm an old Grip shift advocate, been using them for 15 Years now, but don't mind triggers. 

2 hours ago, Frosty said:

My eldest daughter has grip shift on her bike, and the younger one has a trigger. Young one asked if she can swap bike as she prefers the grip shift.

Really did not expect this comment.

I have yet to see a grip shift on a kids bike that works properly after a few months .... it seems to "tighten up" ....

Swopped many of these out with entry level trigger shifters.  Each of these riders enjoyed the trigger shifter.

This thread has me wondering about the feel and long term use of a proper grip shift ....

5 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

I have yet to see a grip shift on a kids bike that works properly after a few months .... it seems to "tighten up" ....

Swopped many of these out with entry level trigger shifters.  Each of these riders enjoyed the trigger shifter.

This thread has me wondering about the feel and long term use of a proper grip shift ....

Same here. I replaced my son's RevoShift with a R120 Shimano trigger shifter and he is over the moon. I cleaned, lubed, replaced the sleeve and cable but nothing made that grip shifter easy to use for my sons small hands. Just for clarity I am referring to a Shimano 7Spd RevoShift.

2 hours ago, ChrisF said:

when people swap out the gripshift on a kids bike they also fit better cables and housing than what came fitted to the bike. Its this that makes the shifting easier. A trigger shifter doesn't have a short enough throw to be god for a kids hands and thumbs. I'd never fit a trigger on a kids bike. Their joints are still soft and the heavier action of the trigger isn't good for those joints

30 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

when people swap out the gripshift on a kids bike they also fit better cables and housing than what came fitted to the bike. Its this that makes the shifting easier. A trigger shifter doesn't have a short enough throw to be god for a kids hands and thumbs. I'd never fit a trigger on a kids bike. Their joints are still soft and the heavier action of the trigger isn't good for those joints

My son could not shift up with the RevoShift at all, even with new Jagwire cables and sleeves fitted. With the trigger shift he is very happy. 

I said I fitted a Shimano trigger shifter before, I meant a Sunrace. 

Revoshift is just junk. Sorry but it is. The shimano twist shifters just never worked for more than a few hours.

the sun race triggers do have a light action but I’d still recommend the sram grip shift for a kids bike everytime.

3 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Three years of riding in the complex, and shifting is still good. The grips though need replacing, and being shorter than standard length makes it difficult to find.

On 9/14/2021 at 4:54 PM, Skott5 said:

Psssst ... Shimano 12 Speed Derailleur works with a SRAM gripshift - Same indexing.

I'm an old Grip shift advocate, been using them for 15 Years now, but don't mind triggers. 

Yip, hence my temptation ????

Loved grip Shift , But could never find any grips that work well with them, and they don't play that well with Shimano brakes as i find the lever to short. 

Had them on all my bikes for many years ....