Jump to content

Marlin 8 or Talon 0?


J-4ce
 Share

Marlin 8 or Talon 0?  

10 members have voted

  1. 1. Which bike?

    • Trek Marlin 8
      5
    • Giant Talon 0
      4
    • Other
      1


Recommended Posts

Hi, I'm looking to buy a new mountain bike for the first time. My budget is up to R20k, but I have already looked at a few bikes and made a list of my favourites.

I have looked at a few bikes within my budget including the Giant Talon 0 (2021), Trek Marlin 8 (2022), Specialized Rockhopper Expert (2021) and Silverback Stride SX (2021). These four bikes are my top picks, but I lean towards the Marlin 8 and Talon 0 more. Does anyone have any advice between these two bikes? I will use the bike for commuting and some off-road riding over weekends, so currently it looks like it might come down to external looks, brand preference and warranty as I won't be pushing the bike to its limits anytime soon, but that might change over time. If I go with the Talon 0 I will upgrade the tires to tubeless tires, so it will cost a bit more than the Marlin 8.

Edited by J-4ce
Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, J-4ce said:

Hi, I'm looking to buy a new mountain bike for the first time. My budget is up to R20k, but I have already looked at a few bikes and made a list of my favourites.

I have looked at a few bikes within my budget including the Giant Talon 0 (2021), Trek Marlin 8 (2022), Specialized Rockhopper Expert (2021) and Silverback Stride SX (2021). These four bikes are my top picks, but I lean towards the Marlin 8 and Talon 0 more. Does anyone have any advice between these two bikes? I will use the bike for commuting and some light off-road riding over weekends, so currently it looks like it might come down to external looks, brand preference and warranty as I won't be pushing the bike to its limits anytime soon. If I go with the Talon 0 I will upgrade the tires to tubeless tires, so it will cost a bit more than the Marlin 8.

Both bikes are great, maybe have a look at the 2019 merida big nine xt edition

It’s around 17-20k, which is a lot, but its suspension and components will last you way longer than the other bikes’.

And plus its a beautiful bike

 

B1ADCC66-CCE2-4BA4-B31B-0ECC35CD5B56.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you! I will have a look at what I can find over the next few weeks. I am leaning towards the Trek as I like the warranty, colour, tubeless-ready tires and specs overall for the price in a new bike. I have looked at some secondhand bikes, but for my first decent MTB I'd rather go new as I trust myself to look after the bike since I will be very gentle with it since I'm a novice rider.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Longbarn Killer said:

I have to ask this question. If you want the bike for commuting and light off road, is it necessary to spend R20k? 

 

Good question. You'll get good enough new for half that. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Diedrich said:

I bought a Trek Marlin 7 last year in February. I am very happy with my purchase. I do gravel and single track with it. It was a big upgrade from my “26 Giant Nrs1 carbon. Prices were also a lot more reasonable then

C42F4954-B1CE-4992-826D-5548C40714FB.jpeg.2909e174acc016b48ae502a08726ceed.jpeg

 

Awesome price. Have you felt the need to upgrade the coil fork?  

Edited by justinafrika
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I scored a bargain. It was a 2019 model that I bought in 2020. I think they were clearing old stock.
In my opinion there is a lot of hype regarding air and coil. Coil is more affordable to service and easy to setup. If you don’t do big drops the rockshox xc30 coil is more then capable. Always a lekker feeling to ride a section where my mates push their bikes that cost 5 times more than mine. However I don’t like the Suntour coil fork on my wife’s Marlin 5. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would say go for the Talon 0, if you ask the right places you can get one for around R15600. 

It's according to me better value for money with the shimano 12 speed. You have more range, that 10 tooth sprocket makes a big difference. The shifting on the shimano stuff is set and forget. With the SRAM stuff it can be more iffy. 

Both has a air fork so that is a win but you'll probably get the Giant at a better price,

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Diedrich said:

I scored a bargain. It was a 2019 model that I bought in 2020. I think they were clearing old stock.
In my opinion there is a lot of hype regarding air and coil. Coil is more affordable to service and easy to setup. If you don’t do big drops the rockshox xc30 coil is more then capable. Always a lekker feeling to ride a section where my mates push their bikes that cost 5 times more than mine. However I don’t like the Suntour coil fork on my wife’s Marlin 5. 

It is not about hype. It is about the ability to set it up for your bodyweight. Unless you change the spring/coil there is nothing you can do. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, JasperNel said:

I would say go for the Talon 0, if you ask the right places you can get one for around R15600. 

It's according to me better value for money with the shimano 12 speed. You have more range, that 10 tooth sprocket makes a big difference. The shifting on the shimano stuff is set and forget. With the SRAM stuff it can be more iffy. 

Both has a air fork so that is a win but you'll probably get the Giant at a better price,

 

 

 

I really like the Talon 0 as it seems like Giant is a really good value for money brand compared to some of the others. I haven't seen a new 2021 Talon 0 for under R16999 in the Cape Town area though. Even on Giant's website the recommended retail price is R17545. And then it doesn't include tubeless ready tires - I haven't had a bike with TR tires before, but from what I understand after talking to a lot of people this is a big advantage when you don't want flats all the time. I also know about the Shimano vs SRAM shifting and that makes me lean towards the Talon, but what about the brakes - Tektro TKD 143 on the Giant vs Shimano MT200 on the Trek? I'm new to all of this and just know the Shimano brand, so whenever I see Shimano, I like 😅 It looks like there will always be trade-offs, at least with the bikes I have compared.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, J-4ce said:

I really like the Talon 0 as it seems like Giant is a really good value for money brand compared to some of the others. I haven't seen a new 2021 Talon 0 for under R16999 in the Cape Town area though. Even on Giant's website the recommended retail price is R17545. And then it doesn't include tubeless ready tires - I haven't had a bike with TR tires before, but from what I understand after talking to a lot of people this is a big advantage when you don't want flats all the time. I also know about the Shimano vs SRAM shifting and that makes me lean towards the Talon, but what about the brakes - Tektro TKD 143 on the Giant vs Shimano MT200 on the Trek? I'm new to all of this and just know the Shimano brand, so whenever I see Shimano, I like 😅 It looks like there will always be trade-offs, at least with the bikes I have compared.

Yes I wasn't sure about the tektro brakes as well. I know they use the normal Shimano brake pads as well. I got the female version of the bike for my mother in law and was really impressed by it. For the price it's a really good deal.

Yes the rims on the giant is tubeless ready but you don't get tubeless tyres. I guess the Giant and trek would work out to the same price if you do the tubeless conversion on the Giant. 

I'm in Stellenbosch and I'm sure I can organize a better deal on the Talon bike for you around here. You are welcome to send me a private message. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

My Profile My Forum Content My Followed Content Forum Settings Ad Messages My Ads My Favourites My Saved Alerts My Pay Deals Settings Help Logout