UCI Road World Championships | Flanders 2021

Vetplant

“Mathieu has not had the ideal run-up to this World Championships, but he certainly gives an extra dimension to our road team, it increases our chances of success that he participates,”

Dutch national coach Koos Moerenhout, on Mathieu committing to the race for rainbow. 

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

16 hours ago, Sid the Sloth said:

I don't want to see SA getting dicked by Australia so I don't watch them play. A lot of athletes have the boxes ticked that are in their control (great power numbers, win local races), but those out of their control are not in their favor (having to pay to go to worlds, having to borrow most of their gear shortly before the event, not having races to race and gain experience). Honestly losing the rugby is more disappointing considering their budget ;)

Let's add that the TT bike is borrowed, the wheels were borrowed and it's her 1st ever ITT event. Proper baptism of fire I'd say.

3 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Maybe she is looking out for herself rather than CyclingSA sending her.

I'm pretty sure that for a championship like Worlds, the federation needs to select which riders may represent the country.

I'm almost certain you can't just decide to buy some sa kit from Anatomic's factory shop and rock up and ride.

Edited by TNT1

6 minutes ago, TNT1 said:

I'm pretty sure that for a championship like Worlds, the federation needs to select which riders may represent the country.

I'm almost certain you can't just decide to buy some sa kit from Anatomic's factory shop and rock up and ride.

The federation asks if you want to go on a self funded trip. They start at the top and work their way down until someone agrees...

ja... To be fair I've been to World Champs AR on my own dime, represented SA with pride and finished more than 24 hours after New Zealand.

I'm actually ok with Bob Hopes going for experience if it's on their own dime. 

My issue comes in when a governing body sends Bob Hopes to world champs who have absolutely no chance of doing anything other than being there. The entourage that goes with is also usually not just 1 or 2 people. 

If it's own dime, cool. If it's tax payers money? No.... I cannot and will not get behind it. Much like the Olympics and other similar things. The concept is farcical 

On 9/20/2021 at 4:17 PM, TNT1 said:

Why is CSA sending hackers to world championship events?

I don't want to see the Springs' Boy's High School 1st Rugby Team playing the All Blacks, do I? 

What do you have against Springs Boys High?????? ????

5 hours ago, TNT1 said:

Reminds me of Froome impersonating some Kenyan cycling official to get into the U23 world champs....

https://www.businessinsider.com/chris-froome-impersonated-official-2016-7?IR=T

Didn't turn out too badly for him.....

1 hour ago, Mountain Bru said:

Reminds me of Froome impersonating some Kenyan cycling official to get into the U23 world champs....

https://www.businessinsider.com/chris-froome-impersonated-official-2016-7?IR=T

Didn't turn out too badly for him.....

TO : CTCT Seeding

Please promote mamil to 1B so he has a vague chance of wheelsucking his way to a sub 3 CTCT. 

Rgds

On 9/20/2021 at 4:22 PM, TNT1 said:

That makes me sad. CSA should rather be setting her up to be based in Europe for a season or two and get her up to standard. This current system sets her up for failure.

The local level is clearly light years away from reality.

Been saying the same thing for years, they should set up a base somewhere in Europe where all the youngsters with potential can go stay, live, train and race in the euro scene

Of course this will cost real money, so easier said then done

19 minutes ago, SwissVan said:

Been saying the same thing for years, they should set up a base somewhere in Europe where all the youngsters with potential can go stay, live, train and race in the euro scene

Of course this will cost real money, so easier said then done

Did anyone else listen to this interview with Jay Vine during the Vuelta? (Starts at 30:20)
Found it really interesting how he said he could basically race with bad tactics in Aussie races and still win, but things are just on another level on the Euro scene. I'd assume the Aussie race scene is more competitive than here, so our local riders must have an impossible job trying to compete in WT races. 

38 minutes ago, Mountain Bru said:

Did anyone else listen to this interview with Jay Vine during the Vuelta? (Starts at 30:20)
Found it really interesting how he said he could basically race with bad tactics in Aussie races and still win, but things are just on another level on the Euro scene. I'd assume the Aussie race scene is more competitive than here, so our local riders must have an impossible job trying to compete in WT races. 

Even the racing in the USA is of a higher standard than in SA, but they tend to favour racing Crits more than road races.