UCI Road World Championships | Flanders 2021

Vetplant

On 9/20/2021 at 2:38 PM, Sid the Sloth said:

Agreed. Pretty proud team mate.  First ever ITT and on freshly borrowed kit! I am not making excuses but I think it is pretty cool and not a shabby performance. 

Yeah that's a pretty solid performance from Haley. You can be right proud of your team mate! I'm also pleased for Frances Jansen Van Rensburg as well. I'm sure they both learned a lot from the experience so far. Would be great if Haley could join Frances at the WCC team. Frances really seems to have grown in confidence since joining them. Won a few, albeit small, races riding for them iirc.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, SwissVan said:

Been saying the same thing for years, they should set up a base somewhere in Europe where all the youngsters with potential can go stay, live, train and race in the euro scene

Of course this will cost real money, so easier said then done

The UCI has the WCC team which is essentially what you are advocating that CSA should do. Frances Jansen Van Rensburg has been riding for them for the past few months and gotten some good results. She got 38th to go with Haley Preen's 40th in the Women's ITT. Both these young ladies should be proud of how well they did. All things considered. 

30 minutes ago, J Wakefield said:

When is South Africa going to stop going to World events to learn? 

Agree 100%.  That is the place to go perform, not to go learn.  There are many other opportunities to "learn".

Its nice that, in these days, you can Earn national colors for learning to race, just pay for it yourself.

Around 2010, SA did have a base in Europe that could be used by anyone wanting to RACE in Europe, I cannot remember the costs.

I once attended a World Champs for students, quickly learned that its not a great experience if you haven't raced in those conditions. Seeing that you cannot finish a road race in an important event does more damage when you are used to being the race maker. Get there first and know what to expect.

Edited by JA-Q001

14 hours ago, Mountain Bru said:

What do you have against Springs Boys High?????? ????

Nothing. 5 great years there.

2 hours ago, J Wakefield said:

And then what bugs me the most.............the riders that did "learn" last year are not included this you to capitalize on what they have "learned" previously.

3 hours ago, J Wakefield said:

It seems to me part of our national psyche (if there is such a thing) that we overly celebrate our successes and are extraordinarily harsh on our losses and failures. The celebration of our Rugby World cup victory seemed to me almost desperate in it's self congratulatory tone and our response to the reversal of fortunes seems to be to denigrate and devalue those self same players.

There are lots of reasons for it possibly but I really do prefer a gentler approach to sport and it's ups and downs. 

3 minutes ago, Mamil said:

I really do prefer a gentler approach to sport and it's ups and downs. 

Doesn't work in the world of professional sports.

Just now, TNT1 said:

Doesn't work in the world of professional sports.

I don't mean in terms of intensity of training, preparation or competition but in acceptance and response to the outcome. I'm not sure that we are good sports as a nation.

1 minute ago, Mamil said:

I don't mean in terms of intensity of training, preparation or competition but in acceptance and response to the outcome. I'm not sure that we are good sports as a nation.

I know exactly what you mean.

Look at how well Cav did this year, and how much he struggled to confirm a spot for next year. That's what I mean. Good or bad, there is no room for sentiment in the response to an athlete's results when money is involved.

When it comes to the SA fans, it's complicated. We have almost zero unified national identity. Small pockets of fans are motivated to support, for example, the springbok rugby team at world champs. when they don't do well, those of us who invested so much personal time in getting behind them feel let down. Without a national unity to fall back on, we then let that out in anger.

We need a shrink to explain it.

12 hours ago, Mntboy said:

The UCI has the WCC team which is essentially what you are advocating that CSA should do. Frances Jansen Van Rensburg has been riding for them for the past few months and gotten some good results. She got 38th to go with Haley Preen's 40th in the Women's ITT. Both these young ladies should be proud of how well they did. All things considered. 

Yes and no, CSA could do something similar independently by sending young riders over to Europe to race at a lower level to gain experience and exposure.

CSA would need to make use of their European contacts with other federations to find place for these riders to stay, train and race.

My wife and I did something similar in that we provided free accommodation and meals for a young mtb rider for one summer to come and race all over Europe. This allowed them the chance to be exposed to a much higher level of competition at more affordable price tag, otherwise the costs become to much for the rider and their sponsors / Parents ???? 

Here's the selection policy from CyclingSA. If anything, it's the federation that needs to be asked why, and not the riders.

image.png.9d7d4d22d20dc7b1c1e6ea1438ea39f0.png

What gets under my skin is the list of events where they claim needs to be A-grade, or National Classics, and have at least 3 of the riders taking part for it to be considered "selection events". The local pros don't support the event, so why should the event then spend the money to try and attract them. 

Edited by Frosty
Removed link and replaced with image