UCI Road World Championships | Flanders 2021

Vetplant

7 minutes ago, Blokman said:

If I got sent to the world champs as a no hoper by my country , I would at least want to tell my friends, family and the cycling boss that I made it to the end. What am I missing ?

I’m guessing there is a time schedule, if you fall out of the time schedule you will be told to pull out / retire from the race.

very difficult to remain ahead of the broom bus once you are dropped.

plus, most of these guys are pro’s and would rather save themselves for another day if they cannot compete or provide further support for the team leader.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Eldron said:

In lap racing you don't get to choose if you finish or not - if you're too far behind you get pulled off.

Almost all forms of bike racing have time limits and I suspect the time limits on lap racing are much tighter than stage racing.

It makes sense . Thanks. 

2 hours ago, stringbean said:

So of the 22 Safas 14 had DNF ( just over 60%)but hey,they gained invaluable experience and will aid in building and shaping the future of SA cycling.Go champs ✊????????????‍♂️????????‍♂️

Gibbons was the unfortunate recipient of a feed zone crash.

Here's hoping he heels up soon

4 hours ago, Ossie NL said:

Especially as he could not walk two weeks ago

Yebo. He had total rest for 5 days. Some sport scientists would argue that that today's professionals do not rest enough and that this forced rest was invaluable to his silver medal. 

3 minutes ago, 'Dale said:

Yebo. He had total rest for 5 days. Some sport scientists would argue that that today's professionals do not rest enough and that this forced rest was invaluable to his silver medal. 

In the Dutch press, he indicated to be surprised to be able to stick with the pace and even more with being able to sprint 

14 minutes ago, Ossie NL said:

In the Dutch press, he indicated to be surprised to be able to stick with the pace and even more with being able to sprint 

Saw that. He had one solid outing. Worthy medalist. Two silvers for the Dutch.

10 minutes ago, 'Dale said:

Saw that. He had one solid outing. Worthy medalist. Two silvers for the Dutch.

Dutch women were very grumpy about their own lack of organisation in post race interviews. Blaak and Vollering quoted as saying they were riding like "loose sand" .. AvV also expressed lots of unhappiness.

Position of coach being questioned after two bad performances back to back

22 minutes ago, Eldron said:

Her father is pretty good at riding a bike (and commentating) too!

The whole family is a high performance family, yoh.

1 hour ago, Eldron said:

Her father is pretty good at riding a bike (and commentating) too!

She is probably the only under 15 girl in history to do a sub 3  :) 

Pop quiz, from Dr Stephen Seiler. Guess the names first, then go lookup. Only two riders have finished all five of the last WC events.

2A048617-C058-4645-B8B5-BDB82296B0B5.jpeg.17d168a9c7217ad20f9a462535d08de1.jpeg

24 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Pop quiz, from Dr Stephen Seiler. Guess the names first, then go lookup. Only two riders have finished all five of the last WC events.

2A048617-C058-4645-B8B5-BDB82296B0B5.jpeg.17d168a9c7217ad20f9a462535d08de1.jpeg

Alaphillipe? 10,8,28,1,1?

I would have said Stybar for the other rider, but he scored an impressive dnf in 2018.