Recommended ride in Durbanville Area

Mike Mac

I am looking for a recommendation for a ride in the Dirbanville area. I don’t know the area at all, but as I need to head out that way for a meeting tomorrow, I thought it may be an opportunity to get to ride some different trails. Prefer single track with some moderate DH. 

I will be riding alone so it needs to be safe. Info as to where to park and where I get the necessary permit will be appreciated. 

Edited by Mike Mac

You can do Hoogekraal, easy to find, lots of parking and safe. I ride there most Tuesdays, sometimes alone. Trails are well marked. Snapscan payment at the parking lot. 

Moderate DH is less Meerendal and more Hoogekraal or Contermanskloof. Contermans will be the better bet, as they have ablutions, including a shower, some top coffee and carrot cake, and if that's not your thing, some Starke Brew beer and pizza also makes the effort of the ride worth it. As far as trail quality, you'd be hard pressed to find better at the moment elsewhere, as it has just gone through a grooming session and some insane new features have been spiced all over the farm.

My first choice for the day for sure. 

May be an image of nature and road

May be an image of nature

May be an image of nature

Edited by Robbie Stewart
pics from the Contermans FB page

32 minutes ago, Mike Mac said:

Thank you all for the recommendations. 

Which are the "must do" sections at Contwemanskloof?

M

depends on your skills and comfort, but essentially the Contermans trails are as follows;

Supertubes / Cheeky Corners - some flowy, bermy, fun descents that is riding smooth and fast at present. The pics above are of that.

Black Rhino 1 - janky, rocky descent with some big rocks and then some fun flow and the odd jump which flows into;

Black Rhino 2 - techy descent with some proper rock gardens, doubles and a couple of fun pallet gap jumps (see my avatar for reference) which flows into;

Happy Hops - some bermy, twisty, hoppity flow

Revised DH - janky, rocky, switchbacks into some pallets and road gaps that should only really be attempted with the appropriate equipment and insanity (for the road gap)

DH Proper - unless you're a Mr Minn wannabe and have the right bike - steer clear

The routes are fairly well marked and even riding solo you will not likely get lost. Black Rhino 1 and the Revised DH and DH Proper lines start at the very top of the hill by the mast. Concrete road climb to there, but the effort is paid back in spades, especially on the 2 Rhino's 
All the trails from the mast are graded Black

You can ride Supertubes, and instead of going down Cheeky Corners rather proceed another km or so along the contour path to the top of Black Rhino 2. That runs down to the end of Happy Hops from where its a straight pedal back tot he car park and some coffee or beer, or you can turn left for a roundabout pedal to the same destination but with some climbing and distance.

I ride all the lines except the DH Proper line as I am not that mal in my kop yet.

Edited by Robbie Stewart

what Robbie said - Conters for the win.

Nice thing about Conters is there are so many different options, you can play on the trails endlessly. It's not just one continuous loop.

1 hour ago, Robbie Stewart said:

eh - and then this just in - make sure you have a beer and a pizza in that time and ride off the carbs thereafter. Win Win.

image.png.3af89b992227c7ad22c6a5b1208e1042.png

Starke Brew side is only open Friday to Sunday, so no pizza today. Dairy Shed is open all week. I think they do have beer though.

6 hours ago, Robbie Stewart said:

eh - and then this just in - make sure you have a beer and a pizza in that time and ride off the carbs thereafter. Win Win.

Just as well I only got there at 3pm, as I would have been totally oblivious of the closure. 

6 hours ago, Robbie Stewart said:

Just as well I only got there at 3pm, as I would have been totally oblivious of the closure. 

Thanks guys for the info.  

I did sections of Hoogekraal and Contimanskloof. The highlight for me on Hoogekraal was Cape Cobra. On Conti’s I only did Supertubes. Definitely worth another visit. 

Glad you enjoyed your rides. You should plan a Saturday morning out this side and do some exploring. If you liked Cobra then you're gonna love the Black Rhinos at Conters. And then stay for the namesake brew at Starke Breweries. You will leave with a fat smile on your face.

1 hour ago, Robbie Stewart said:

Glad you enjoyed your rides. You should plan a Saturday morning out this side and do some exploring. If you liked Cobra then you're gonna love the Black Rhinos at Conters. And then stay for the namesake brew at Starke Breweries. You will leave with a fat smile on your face.

Sounds like a plan ????