Backing out of a deal

Just Simba

4 minutes ago, Barry said:

Maybe more to this story. You don't back out of a 120k deal without good reason.  Money was refunded no problem. Maybe the seller can give the other side.

He told me that he got a better offer on the 2 other items, but that I can still have the 1 item if I'm interested 

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Just Simba said:

He told me that he got a better offer on the 2 other items, but that I can still have the 1 item if I'm interested 

Ok at least tell us what the items are 

8 minutes ago, Nico van Loggerenberg said:

This kind of behaviour is endemic here, unfortunately. You'll find a surprisingly large percentage of users blaming you and not the seller. Oh well. 

This happened to you, after paying a deposit? I can't imagine it's common 

33 minutes ago, Just Simba said:

This happened to you, after paying a deposit? I can't imagine it's common 

I didn't pay a deposit but made both verbal and written agreements, only to have sellers renege / block me / take higher offers etc etc. It's happened to me so many times that there is no chance I'm doing a deposit deal with anybody unless they have perfect 5 star ratings going back to the time of Moses. And even then you're taking chances. 

1 hour ago, copperhead said:

You paid a cat 75 large as a deposit. They must have some rating or you know them? Not in a million years of corona would I do that. What are the chances of you telling us who the seller is?

My mate is old school. He is the only ou I ever hear use the term “cat” these days. Until now anyway.

4 hours ago, Just Simba said:

Hi guys, I would love to hear your thoughts on sellers changing their minds last minute.

I agreed to buy 3 items from a seller here on Bikehub, we agreed on a price and I immediately paid a R75k deposit, sight unseen.

3 days later I asked if he could drop the items off at the LBS close to him for me to arrange courier with them.

He then tells me that all of a sudden only 1 item is available as there is another interested party in the other 2 items and that I shouldnt pay the outstanding R50k balance.

I was furious and demanded a refund, not sure if I over reacted, but I cant imagine that that is an ethical way of doing business, especially not on such a community platform.

Lol. It took you 3 days to start making freds bitching about the classifieds ????

You're a natural ????????

You and @Nico van Loggerenberg should start a support group....
Nico, did you ever find a bike? 

(No idea why that GIF is attached to the link, but I love it)

But ya, it's a crap one. I'd be pretty bleak if I was you. Naming and shaming is somewhat encouraged by the hoard though, until it's you getting shamed. But we all love a good kangaroo court where we can review the evidence, pass judgement and throw snarky comments around. Historically, this was done on Fridays and we'd all get involved in throwing our handbags at each other. 

To give you some hope though, I've bought loads of stuff off the classifieds and mostly dealt with some really top notch guys. There are some bad eggs I guess, but hopefully the rating system catches up to them eventually. Situations like this though are the exact reason for the Rouxtjie Rule that was mentioned in that thread about tattoos and phalluses that claims to be in some way related to some little mtb race in the western cape. (ie - don't trade with guys that aren't active in the forums) 

3 hours ago, Mountain Bru said:

You and @Nico van Loggerenberg should start a support group....
Nico, did you ever find a bike? 

(No idea why that GIF is attached to the link, but I love it)

But ya, it's a crap one. I'd be pretty bleak if I was you. Naming and shaming is somewhat encouraged by the hoard though, until it's you getting shamed. But we all love a good kangaroo court where we can review the evidence, pass judgement and throw snarky comments around. Historically, this was done on Fridays and we'd all get involved in throwing our handbags at each other. 

To give you some hope though, I've bought loads of stuff off the classifieds and mostly dealt with some really top notch guys. There are some bad eggs I guess, but hopefully the rating system catches up to them eventually. Situations like this though are the exact reason for the Rouxtjie Rule that was mentioned in that thread about tattoos and phalluses that claims to be in some way related to some little mtb race in the western cape. (ie - don't trade with guys that aren't active in the forums) 

Thanks, I have read through Nico's thread and came to the conclusion that our scenarios have no similarities.

3 main reasons for my conclusion:

1) I made a fair offer without any T's an C's and the offer was accepted

2) I committed completely by asking for bank details and we agreed on terms of payment

3) I put my money where my mouth is to the tune of 75 THOUSAND RAND

Please dont compare my situation to Nico's

What was the arrangement for the outstanding 50k?. Pay when you receive the goods?.

As a seller i would think long and hard about the deal a potential 50k hit.

You have no ratings and your account is hours old. The safe route would be backout and sell local or to someone with a good rep on the hub.

Nicholas Captain Hans Moolman (a.k.a Hustler (1)... the other part is Ace Cycles, a.k.a. Emmanuel Sequeira or Hustler (2). What nasty pieces of work (must be an Eastern Cape thing and hence the reason he resides down there, probably not allowed in Gauteng, so he works with Ace Cycles as a tag team)... they go around backing each other up and hustling people selling bicycles... be careful people, they plead poverty and try strong arm you into a lower price and when one doesnt come right, the other tries his luck to secure the deal... I experienced both clowns at it last week. Their reputation as "the dirty duo" is all over Facebook and by all accounts now on Bike Hub with their latest thread. They seem to enjoy making a nuisance of themselves)... Just Simba (has not fully graduated to Lion status yet); he is still a "pissie"... promised to pay me R125 k (yes R125 k not R120 k as he wrote in his thread), then paid me R75 k (supposedly on immediate payment), which only arrived 4 days later. Never sent me a proof of payment, just told me it was paid... who does that??? With a promise to pay the rest; if you are serious about a deal, pay the whole amount upfront and send a proof of payment (none was forthcoming). As far as I am aware a deal is only a deal when the full payment is in the account... I never EVER said I got a better deal elsewhere, I said I dont want to do business with you and your fellow Hustler... Mr Ace Cycles!!! So when I told Pissie Simba to **** off, Mr Ace Cycles tried his luck, made me a stupid offer... be careful people "the Hustlers" will get you!

Edited by Wade