Backing out of a deal

Just Simba

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Just Simba said:

Personally, I dont see the point in sending PoP if I just express paid R75k into your account. I mean, you can see it, the money is there. But I see the point you are trying to make. Besides, I got my money back, so that would suggest that it was received, right?

Ironic don't you think. Did you not insist on POP as well?

What has worked well for me in multiple transactions here in BikeHubLand is a conversation between myself and the buyer/seller. We make a lekka connection, promise to keep on talking instead of typing where necessary and then build an alliance therein. 

This is South Africa. Africa. Building relationship matters. Talking consistently throughout at least and building a win:win scenario is best.

Disclaimer: This guidance above does not work with buyers/sellers with poor intentions.

1 minute ago, 'Dale said:

What has worked well for me in multiple transactions here in BikeHubLand is a conversation between myself and the buyer/seller. We make a lekka connection, promise to keep on talking instead of typing where necessary and then build an alliance therein. 

This is South Africa. Africa. Building relationship matters. Talking consistently throughout at least and building a win:win scenario is best.

Disclaimer: This guidance above does not work with buyers/sellers with poor intentions.

I disagree with your disclaimer. It may not work 100% but in my experience the rotten apples are usually easy to spot. They are forceful, in a hurry to conclude the deal and manipulative in trying to get what they want, either with threatening "another buyer" or with insisting they "need the item asap". I'm sure I have missed a deal here or there by trying to take time, but I have also never been scammed on any platform and have concluded 100's of deals across a wide variety of hobbies and interests.

14 hours ago, Just Simba said:

Hi guys, I would love to hear your thoughts on sellers changing their minds last minute.

I agreed to buy 3 items from a seller here on Bikehub, we agreed on a price and I immediately paid a R75k deposit, sight unseen.

3 days later I asked if he could drop the items off at the LBS close to him for me to arrange courier with them.

He then tells me that all of a sudden only 1 item is available as there is another interested party in the other 2 items and that I shouldnt pay the outstanding R50k balance.

I was furious and demanded a refund, not sure if I over reacted, but I cant imagine that that is an ethical way of doing business, especially not on such a community platform.

Having read through this start to finish I think there are many tings that could have been done differently.

This for me was probably the clincher.

You yourself call it a community platform, yet you chose to engage in a really big transaction without even registering a profile.

In fact it seems you only registered the profile once the deal went south.

If you had a bit more history, then seller might not have put you in the potential SCAMMER box so easily. The seller is clearly in the wrong here by breaking the deal, but as said earlier a phonecall would probably have made this work.

13 hours ago, Just Simba said:

Been browsing the hub for years, never signed up till recently.

I didnt think that I was taking a risk, as the sellers details all checked out on Facebook, Bikehub and his Bank.

I never for a second thought that my money was at risk when dealing with a well known businessman 

Me personally would never pay more than R3k for a bike from someone I don't know without seeing it first. You might actually have walked away from a bum deal depending on the condition of the bikes.

I'm a little bit gobsmacked you wouldn't go from R120k to R125k to secure the deal, but were happy to pay it sight unseen. 

9 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

Having read through this start to finish I think there are many tings that could have been done differently.

This for me was probably the clincher.

You yourself call it a community platform, yet you chose to engage in a really big transaction without even registering a profile.

In fact it seems you only registered the profile once the deal went south.

If you had a bit more history, then seller might not have put you in the potential SCAMMER box so easily. The seller is clearly in the wrong here by breaking the deal, but as said earlier a phonecall would probably have made this work.

Me personally would never pay more than R3k for a bike from someone I don't know without seeing it first. You might actually have walked away from a bum deal depending on the condition of the bikes.

I'm a little bit gobsmacked you wouldn't go from R120k to R125k to secure the deal, but were happy to pay it sight unseen. 

I agreed to R125k, just before asking for banking details. It's there, in the convo

21 minutes ago, stefmeister said:

Ironic don't you think. Did you not insist on POP as well?

Big difference is that there wasn't any cash in my account to confirm. 

Money talks, and I had R75k invested

My 2 cents. Being part of  community requires a level of participation to a degree or am I wrong.

Following with no profile or account and then expecting "community benefits" doesn't fly with me.

It's also apparent that you only use the Hub for your buying and selling hobby.

2 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

I may have missed a couple of episodes (pages) of this soap opera, but has @Wadecome back with a rebuttal yet? 

Or is this spat actually because you found out that you had both been married to Brooke Logan?

After the initial response I haven't seen anything from @Wade, interesting ..... 

Edited by TheoG

if my maths are correct this deal was made between a hubber with at the time 4 posts and an unregistered lurker.

basically a gumtree transaction.

3 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

I may have missed a couple of episodes (pages) of this soap opera, but has @Wadecome back with a rebuttal yet? 

Or is this spat actually because you found out that you had both been married to Brooke Logan?

nope. but when he comes back he can tell us if the replacement frame sorted it or if the bike still creaks. 

Just now, TheoG said:

After the initial response I haven't seen anything from @Wade, interesting ..... 

So his post was the classic 'turn and burn'...

Wade bro, it's a soapy, you're allowed to come back from the dead or say you were possessed or kidnapped.... 

5 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

So his post was the classic 'turn and burn'...

Wade bro, it's a soapy, you're allowed to come back from the dead or say you were possessed or kidnapped.... 

Sure he'll return to this thread with response...

By this, he was to busy on a long review: https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/profile/171276

'Just Simba' not even a member for long and has a 1 star review already????

39 minutes ago, Trashy said:

I disagree with your disclaimer. It may not work 100% but in my experience the rotten apples are usually easy to spot. They are forceful, in a hurry to conclude the deal and manipulative in trying to get what they want, either with threatening "another buyer" or with insisting they "need the item asap". I'm sure I have missed a deal here or there by trying to take time, but I have also never been scammed on any platform and have concluded 100's of deals across a wide variety of hobbies and interests.

It appears like you agree with my disclaimer, @Trashy. You essentially double clicked on my working definition of "poor intentions" (meaning manipulative, deceptive, misleading or plainly dishonest).