Backing out of a deal

Just Simba

3 minutes ago, Trashy said:

Then I have absolutely no idea how the connection was made!

Was Ace the "Bike shop" that the bikes were to be delivered to?

Both contacted him at the same time, and from what I gathered Ace tried to help facilitate the deal when it started going sour.

Either that, or my reading comprehension also sucks.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

37 minutes ago, stefmeister said:

Both contacted him at the same time, and from what I gathered Ace tried to help facilitate the deal when it started going sour.

Either that, or my reading comprehension also sucks.

Damit, every time I read your post its  in Rick Sanchezs voice. ( Damn you pickle Rick) 

1 hour ago, jcza said:

Community ended after the hub was taken over by professional traders.

Fond memories of the "old days" 

Wasn't riding with a blue ribbon a thing in the old days? Part of the hub community and all. Does anybody still do that?

13 minutes ago, Mountain Bru said:

Had to google who Brooke Logan is.....

I can now confirm that this comment is the most truth spoken on the entire thread ????

Am I giving away my age if I say I didn't need to google?

2 hours ago, jcza said:

Community ended after the hub was taken over by professional traders.

Fond memories of the "old days" 

I feel like every disgruntled thread about the classifieds actually has a very similar undertone/theme. 

Person A expected Person B to behave in a way that would make sense in a community, but would probably not be expected on OLX or gumtree. 
Person B then behaves as if this is gumtree. 
Person A is then pissed that Person B didn't behave as expected
Person B continues to behave as if this is gumtree
Person A starts a thread to complain

When the BikeHub overlords chose to make this a classifieds site with some forums hiding in the background, it became the same as OLX or gumtree. I'm not on Facebook, but I assume that on Marketplace you can at least see the seller's profile? The classifieds here don't require a real name or real profile or any form of validation, so it really is just OLX/Gumtree with a cycling filter. Once you realize that the community aspect of the classifieds is dead, and you just treat it like OLX, the experience becomes a lot more pleasant.

What I mean by that - If I post something, I expect stupid lowball offers, I expect poor communication, I expect many "is it available" messages and then no reply after that, I expect guys to say they're keen and then disappear, etc etc. And if I'm the buyer, I don't ever assume anything is mine until I have it in my hands, regardless of what the seller has told me. I expect some sellers to disappear, I expect some deals to fall through, I don't expect a response to messages, I don't expect any common decency or special treatment or even for the other guy to be honest. I'm not buying from "a friend of a friend" in a community, I'm buying from a stranger on the internet. I really think this approach saves me a lot of heartache and stress, and saves me from the disappointment of thinking I've bought something when in fact I haven't (like in the OP's case)

12 minutes ago, Mountain Bru said:

I feel like every disgruntled thread about the classifieds actually has a very similar undertone/theme. 

Person A expected Person B to behave in a way that would make sense in a community, but would probably not be expected on OLX or gumtree. 
Person B then behaves as if this is gumtree. 
Person A is then pissed that Person B didn't behave as expected
Person B continues to behave as if this is gumtree
Person A starts a thread to complain

When the BikeHub overlords chose to make this a classifieds site with some forums hiding in the background, it became the same as OLX or gumtree. I'm not on Facebook, but I assume that on Marketplace you can at least see the seller's profile? The classifieds here don't require a real name or real profile or any form of validation, so it really is just OLX/Gumtree with a cycling filter. Once you realize that the community aspect of the classifieds is dead, and you just treat it like OLX, the experience becomes a lot more pleasant.

What I mean by that - If I post something, I expect stupid lowball offers, I expect poor communication, I expect many "is it available" messages and then no reply after that, I expect guys to say they're keen and then disappear, etc etc. And if I'm the buyer, I don't ever assume anything is mine until I have it in my hands, regardless of what the seller has told me. I expect some sellers to disappear, I expect some deals to fall through, I don't expect a response to messages, I don't expect any common decency or special treatment or even for the other guy to be honest. I'm not buying from "a friend of a friend" in a community, I'm buying from a stranger on the internet. I really think this approach saves me a lot of heartache and stress, and saves me from the disappointment of thinking I've bought something when in fact I haven't (like in the OP's case)

You're totally right, EXCEPT - facebook marketplace has comments ????

10 minutes ago, Steady Spin said:

This transaction should have ended at "norrafok" 

Agree, that's where I would have drawn the line.  Disrespectful communication and that with someone you don't even know.